News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

We made Betoota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like this line...
“I’ve told them they should take in this next week of being just another face in the crowd, because if they win this thing, there’s gonna be a lot more bright orange hanging off the racks inside Peter Wynn’s Score”

Tried to get a hoodie for young master this afternoon, but Peter Wynn’s had sold out this morning - all they had left was 3 flags.

These comments, made by D. Matthews on 29.9 after the GF, that GWS is now a power club- & sets out what the GWS will be achieving in the future.
They were originally in the Daily Telegraph (Ben Horne) on 29.9- behind a paywall.

Can anyone please open it?

EDIT:

It is my understanding one of Matthews' predictions is that GWS, partly due to the publicity it received over the last month/1st 3 strong Finals' results, will increase its membership by c.10,000 in 2020., to c. 40,000. If a 9 y.o. sporting club in Sydney can reach 40,000+ members in such short time, it is reasonable to assert that it will become entrenched in Sydney- & has a huge future.

AFR 27.9.19 P. Durkin
MLC Wealth CEO Geoff Lloyd, "GWS Superfan", also predicts GWS will reach c. 40,000 members in 2020, "regardless what happens on Saturday" ie the Grand Final result.
(This is a different article to the Daily Telegraph, Ben Horne 29.9.19, above)

Last edited:
GWS to play a game in Los Angeles, for Premiership points?

The possibilty of a GWS game in LA has tentative support from J. Cameron & L. Cameron, as well as the AFL.

If it eventuates, it might be a season-opener game. A businessman (worth $2.4 billion) wants to build cricket ovals in the US, primarily to promote cricket in the US. An opening for the AFL?

Last edited:

The possibilty of a GWS game in LA has tentative support from J. Cameron & L. Cameron, as well as the AFL.

If it eventuates, it might be a season-opener game. A businessman (worth $2.4 billion) wants to build cricket ovals in the US, primarily to promote cricket in the US. An opening for the AFL?

There's not much support on this board for a US game.
Assuming that the Canberra deal means 3 games are already not at Giants Stadium, that would only leave 7 games for the Western Sydney heartland fans. Not happy.

So we give up 3 games a year to Canberra and now throwing another Western Sydney game away.

Growing the game in Western Sydney eh? Ffs.

Edit. July article, Thought this was a new article about it.

Hmmm nothing said for a while hopefully they have given up this garbage idea.

There's not much support on this board for a US game.
Assuming that the Canberra deal means 3 games are already not at Giants Stadium, that would only leave 7 games for the Western Sydney heartland fans. Not happy.
I agree the AFL would be reluctant to reduce the no. of GWS games in Sydney & Canberra- but how many $ might be offered?
You're assuming that, if the game proceeds, it would be a GWS home game- but it might be a GWS away game (as were the two Port Adelaide v. Gold Coast games, in China: both games were organised by Port, & both were GC Home games).

Also, there are currently 8 AFL games pa played in Tasmania, by HFC & NMFC. It seems quite likely Hawthorn or NMFC might give up a Home game, to play GWS in LA? Or Melb., Footscray, or St Kilda might give up Home games (who are always seeking to generate extra $) to play GWS in LA?

IMO, the AFL would salivate at getting financially well sponsored AFL games into the US- & the Orange County Giants AF club, based near LA, are, apparently keen.

There is a growing AF Club community in the USA & Canada. THE USAFL Championships, played in October every year, has the biggest no. of players for a single event, over a single weekend, in the world -over 1,000 players.
The USAFL clubs also play their usual regional, state, or city-based comps. throughout the year.

"The USA push has come, in part, at the suggestion of a small group of Americans who have become generous patrons of the Giants".

Last edited:
I agree the AFL would be reluctant to reduce the no. of GWS games in Sydney & Canberra- but how many $ might be offered?

Last time something like this came up it came out that:
  • three games are contracted to Canberra,
  • seven games are contracted to Giants Stadium,
  • one game is not contracted anywhere.
So whenever this stuff comes up you can guarantee they're talking about that eighth Sydney game.

1. SEN Radio 2.10 J.Heverin Program

Sam Duncan, a Lecturer on the MSM, said the GF "Reach was 6,130,000, the best since 2016". Because the GF result became very predictible, due to RFC easily winning, many people switched off the TV, it reduced the average viewing to a low c. 2,950,000.

The GF is played on Sat afternoon, a graveyard for TV viewing- most people outside, doing other things (cf. Prime Time, in the evenings). Also, there were vast nos. watching in pubs, & at BBQ parties in private homes- so the actual nos. were FAR greater viewing the broadcasts.

Roy Morgan polls have consistently revealed, over numerous GF's, the no. of persons who actually watch AFL GF's is FAR greater (ie much more than double) than that revealed by the Rating TV boxes etc; also, even though it is played outside of Prime Time, the AFL GF easily outrates the NRL GF.

It should also be remembered that AFL games go for much longer than NRL games- which,also, adds value to them for broadcasters & advertisers.

2. SEN Radio 4.10 Lyon Watson Program

B. Delidio told Lyon that Whitfield, during the GF was "about 50 to 60 % fit...and a few other things hurt him" (ie not just the tenderness from the appendix operation).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Australian J. Stensholt 27.9.19

Pimco "...American bond traders who are in charge of hundreds of billions of investor dollars globally, but have quietly been putting their own millions into the GWS Giants...the sports-loving pair maintain an extremely low profile when it comes to their passion for Australian Rules football...they have fallen in love with the game, and with the team...they came to us (AFL- my word), it was not a matter of us approaching them...the American pair are now said to visit Australia and the Giants up to 5 or 6 times a year...Ivascyn...manages...more than $300bn in funds...".

Good ol' GWS. Establishing connections with Pimco, American "old money" in LA, NY & Boston for the AFL.
Where might this eventually develop into for GWS- &, more importantly, for the AFL?

Daily Mail S.Gibbs 27.0.19
(Note Daily Mail typo: $300 million should be $300 billion)

The Australian (FULL article)

(Behind paywall- can anyone open it)

Last edited:
The Australian J. Stensholt 27.9.19

Pimco "...American bond traders who are in charge of hundreds of billions of investor dollars globally, but have quietly been putting their own millions into the GWS Giants...the sports-loving pair maintain an extremely low profile when it comes to their passion for Australian Rules football...they have fallen in love with the game, and with the team...they came to us (AFL- my word), it was not a matter of us approaching them...the American pair are now said to visit Australia and the Giants up to 5 or 6 times a year...Ivascyn...manages...more than $300bn in funds...".

Good ol' GWS. Establishing connections with Pimco, American "old money" in LA, NY & Boston for the AFL.
Where might this eventually develop into for GWS- &, more importantly, for the AFL?

Daily Mail S.Gibbs 27.0.19
(Note Daily Mail typo: $300 million should be $300 billion)

The Australian (FULL article)

(Behind paywall- can anyone open it)
Thats where the american game would come from.

Probably almost as a thank you.

AFR P. Durkin 27.9.19

Confirmation from the "top man"- AFL Commission Chairman R.Goyder re the value of the 9th game pw, created by adding GWS & GC.
(See also posts # 1642, re D. Matthews' comments)

Durkin wrote, after interviewing R.Goyder

"...the league's two-club expansion has added an extra $54 million to the AFL's annual broadcast right's deal".

Goyder also said
"...the really important thing is, and the same applies to Gold Coast, when we start looking at participation numbers in Sydney and NSW and the Gold Coast, the numbers coming through are fantastic".

(Click on "Esc", on top left hand corner on keyboard, IMMEDIATELY after link opens- must be quick!
Can anyone open this, & post here)

The Australian 27.9.19 B.Horne

"Kia Australia boss Damien Meredith has made the bold prediction that GWS Giants can become the biggest sporting club in the country...there is still a belief that Sydney's money lives in the CBD, eastern suburbs and lower north shore, but Kia is adamant the west is the biggest untapped market in Australia...over the decades...magic can happen...".

AFR P. Durkin 28.9

MLC Wealth CEO G.LLoyd & self-described "GWS Super Fan" said

" I think we can get to 40,000 members next year, regardless of what happens on Saturday".

(Behind paywall. Click on "Esc", on far left corner of keyboard, IMMEDIATELY after article appears, to open this)

D. Matthews has made a similar comment, after the GF, that he thinks GWS will, possibly, reach 40,000 members in 2020.

Last edited:

LIST BREAKDOWN
A: Phil Davis, Stephen Coniglio, Toby Greene, Jeremy Cameron, Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield
B+: Callan Ward, Heath Shaw, Zac Williams
B: Sam Jacobs
B-: Jacob Hopper, Nick Haynes
C+: Matt Buntine, Matt de Boer, Harry Himmelberg, Jeremy Finlayson, Aidan Corr, Sam Reid, Shane Mumford
C: Zac Langdon, Lachlan Keeffe, Daniel Lloyd, Adam Kennedy, Dylan Buckley, Tom Sheridan
C-: Nil
Developing*: Tim Taranto, Sam Taylor, Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately, Ian Hill, Xavier O’Halloran
Developing: Isaac Cumming, Brent Daniels, Zach Sproule, Matthew Flynn, Nick Shipley, Harry Perryman, Jack Buckley, Jack Stein, Callum Brown, Kieren Briggs, Connor Idun

Not sure he’s managed to watch too many games if he has Nick Haynes as a B- and Adam Kennedy behind Matt Buntine and on the same line as Dylan Buckley (who’s not even at the club anymore) - and Tim Taranto only “developing”? Pez and Binga on the same line as Jack Buckley?

Yeah... not so much.

For Haynes, 2019 was a big year on an individual front as well. He built on a brilliant 2018, finishing third in the league for intercept marks (GIANTS co-captain Phil Davis was first) and averaging 18 disposals, playing 23 of a possible 26 games. He was named in the initial Virgin Australia All Australian squad of 40 and finished the season claiming the Members and Fans MVP award at the Kevin Sheedy Medal, as well as finishing fourth in the club champion award named after the GIANTS’ inaugural coach.

“I had a few stress fractures in the pre-season and didn’t start running until February – I thought I’d have a bit of an interrupted start to the season,” Haynes said. “But the medical staff and rehab staff got me up over a six-week preseason, and then to be able to play round two and only miss a couple of games for the rest of the season, I think that allowed me to play some consistent footy and be able to play my role for the team well. Having those defenders around me just makes me a better player as well. Having Heath Shaw, Phil Davis, Sam Taylor (and) Zac Williams being able to help your game, a lot of credit goes to them as well.”

The GIANTS will not lack belief when the 2020 season rolls around, according to Haynes, nor will they be carrying any baggage from their Grand Final defeat.

1. Grouse.

2. This 23.9.19 Daily Telegraph (reprinted in The West) article is written by P. Rothfield, saying GWS victory over Collingwood in the Prelim. might represent a long term threat to RL.

Behind a paywall -can anyone open it, & post here?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back