News Giants in the Media

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
No idea, sports journalism, especially footy, these days has taken a dive to New Idea bin diver territory.

He was never going to not be captain in 2021.

Fit and firing he is most definitely best 22.

It insults the readers intelligence to even intimate otherwise.

It's just an industry of wall to wall hacks, and the supreme irony is that they are making the better ones redundant.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

How does Tom know this?

He has been called out for bullshitting before.

Let me play devils advocate.

How else can the Giants spin it if their cap is maxed out? It's a pretty obvious ploy.

I don't doubt that the Giants hierarchy have laid down the law, and rightly so. Who could argue that this wasn't an underperforming list based upon it's array of talent?

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Let me play devils advocate.

How else can the Giants spin it if their cap is maxed out? It's a pretty obvious ploy.

I don't doubt that the Giants hierarchy have laid down the law, and rightly so. Who could argue that this wasn't an underperforming list based upon it's array of talent?

I would think any club would only want players who are buying in to play there.

My annoyance is with the garbage headline and language used.

We have cleared a ton of cap recently and will probably clear some more this year.

You may actually finally get Kelly if some rumours are true.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
My annoyance is with the garbage headline and language used.

Unfortunately, I can't see this changing any time soon.

We have cleared a ton of cap recently and will probably clear some more this year.

You may actually finally get Kelly if some rumours are true.

I don't want to go splashing petrol about with regard to that.

In my opinion, the Giants give me the impression that they are going to embark on a "mini-reset", and I reckon that's a good idea.

The generally selected AFL ~22-26 has a sense of "imbalance" about it, and as a team there's some blokes who aren't taking them to the next level.

The forward mix definitely needs addressing, and the ruck is an obvious issue.

The big surprise for me is that you guys let Corr go without much resistance, considering Davis's age. He's a better than average defender.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The forward mix definitely needs addressing, and the ruck is an obvious issue.

The big surprise for me is that you guys let Corr go without much resistance, considering Davis's age. He's a better than average defender.

Fwds we will will probably lose Dorsal and we have Riccardi.

We have faith in the guys coming through. Taylor etc in the defence.

Our mids we are stacked in.

Rucks? Well that always has me worried especially when we have Flynn and Briggs and neither have played a game yet.

bossman111

Team Captain
Feb 18, 2008
Syd
AFL Club
GWS
Saw a clip of Lloyd on Footy Classified talk about how we don't have "passion for the jumper" because we are a newer club. Absolute bollocks, especially in a season with no fans in the stands, not sure how that makes any difference whatsoever. Attack the game style or tactics all you want but that is just lazy analysis

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Saw a clip of Lloyd on Footy Classified talk about how we don't have "passion for the jumper" because we are a newer club. Absolute bollocks, especially in a season with no fans in the stands, not sure how that makes any difference whatsoever. Attack the game style or tactics all you want but that is just lazy analysis

This one?

What a ******* Lloyd is.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

'SOS got it wrong': Sheedy's draft pleas for Grundy ignored by Giants
By Vince Rugari

Kevin Sheedy has revealed his pleas for Greater Western Sydney to draft Brodie Grundy in 2012 were ignored by the club's recruiting staff - a decision that, eight years on, he says continues to haunt the Giants.

Critics have seized on GWS's ruck situation as one of the key reasons why they find themselves outside the top eight with one round to go, their finals hopes resting on Friday night's showdown with St Kilda.

The Giants have used just two recognised ruckmen this year, Shane Mumford and Sam Jacobs, both players long past their best and struggling to influence the outcome of matches.

Mumford, who came out of retirement last year and could conceivably play his final AFL game against the Saints, was mauled by Melbourne's Max Gawn on Saturday and, at best, can negate the impact of his direct opponent rather than help the Giants' star-studded midfield win first use of the ball.

Jacobs, meanwhile, was discarded by Adelaide last season and signed a two-year contract with GWS, but has played just seven games and often struggled when he has been picked over Mumford.

Sheedy, the Giants' inaugural coach, is adamant GWS could have had a generational talent on their books in Grundy had the club's then list manager Stephen Silvagni listened to him at the 2012 AFL draft.

The Giants had five top-20 picks in that draft and used them on Lachie Whitfield, Jonathan O'Rourke, Lachie Plowman, Kristian Jaksch and Aidan Corr.

Only Whitfield and Corr are still at the club, but GWS have confirmed the latter will leave at the end of the season to return to Melbourne.

Grundy, meanwhile, slipped to Collingwood at pick 18 despite the advice of Sheedy and his assistant, Mark Williams, that the Giants pounce on a player they believed to be a generational talent.

"It was always going to bite them when they missed Grundy," Sheedy said.

"He wasn't playing up the bush, or tiddlywinks, or in the under-18s in Melbourne. He was playing at Sturt in the SANFL. Everybody could see it.

"At that stage, with all the draft picks we had, surely we could pick a bloody good ruckman with potential. In the end, they picked four players that most likely won't play in a grand final ... it's annoyed me ever since.

"It is the first time I've never been allowed to have an opinion in the draft as a head coach. And I thought, well, we'll wait five years.

"All Mark and I were told is 'you guys coach the team and we'll do the selection' and that was a bullshit decision. SOS [Silvagni] got it wrong, Mark Williams and I were watching like a couple of wise old owls on a branch."

Time has proved them both right, with Grundy a bonafide AFL superstar and two-time All Australian who is in the prime of a sensational career at Collingwood, while the Giants are trying to make do with two weathered veterans.

As for the other big talking point at the Giants, coach Leon Cameron's controversial decision to drop captain Stephen Coniglio, Sheedy was far less critical, noting that he also axed Essendon skipper Simon Madden in 1981, his first year as Bombers coach.

"I dropped my captain. He's a guy that was a legend - after I dropped him, he became a legend," he said.

"He was playing very ordinary. He was hurt, obviously - we all get hurt. But it made us a great club in the end. I went and got him a ruck coach that made him an absolutely fantastic ruckman, and became a great leader at Essendon without the title called 'captain'.

"Coniglio will learn by this, he'll be a fantastic leader in the end. He's a marvellous young man. It's only a two-hour deal. Get on with life."

Well we all knew SOS wasn’t the bee’s knee’s this proves it. Big big miss.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Why is our club so dishonest about injuries?

Sure there is an element of smoke and mirrors from every club but we seem to take special delight in just flat out lying.

Sam Taylor has been a season job for weeks, Phil Davis the same and yet the Taylor still listed as “indefinite” and Davis finally announced as gone in last week.

I sort of understand not revealing your full hand but we are like the worst liars in the comp.Not sure what it achieves.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Why is our club so dishonest about injuries?

Sure there is an element of smoke and mirrors from every club but we seem to take special delight in just flat out lying.

Sam Taylor has been a season job for weeks, Phil Davis the same and yet the Taylor still listed as “indefinite” and Davis finally announced as gone in last week.

I sort of understand not revealing your full hand but we are like the worst liars in the comp.Not sure what it achieves.
Or just as annoyingly not even mentioning other injuries when they happen nor providing any update on them - eg Briggs.

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Or just as annoyingly not even mentioning other injuries when they happen nor providing any update on them - eg Briggs.
Perhaps a carry over from last year's final series. I could understand keeping things quiet then. At least 6 of the GF starters were playing hurt. Davis took all the attention, perhaps deliberately.

I reckon Tobes is playing hurt the last 2 weeks.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

'SOS got it wrong': Sheedy's draft pleas for Grundy ignored by Giants
By Vince Rugari

Kevin Sheedy has revealed his pleas for Greater Western Sydney to draft Brodie Grundy in 2012 were ignored by the club's recruiting staff - a decision that, eight years on, he says continues to haunt the Giants.

Critics have seized on GWS's ruck situation as one of the key reasons why they find themselves outside the top eight with one round to go, their finals hopes resting on Friday night's showdown with St Kilda.

The Giants have used just two recognised ruckmen this year, Shane Mumford and Sam Jacobs, both players long past their best and struggling to influence the outcome of matches.

Mumford, who came out of retirement last year and could conceivably play his final AFL game against the Saints, was mauled by Melbourne's Max Gawn on Saturday and, at best, can negate the impact of his direct opponent rather than help the Giants' star-studded midfield win first use of the ball.

Jacobs, meanwhile, was discarded by Adelaide last season and signed a two-year contract with GWS, but has played just seven games and often struggled when he has been picked over Mumford.

Sheedy, the Giants' inaugural coach, is adamant GWS could have had a generational talent on their books in Grundy had the club's then list manager Stephen Silvagni listened to him at the 2012 AFL draft.

The Giants had five top-20 picks in that draft and used them on Lachie Whitfield, Jonathan O'Rourke, Lachie Plowman, Kristian Jaksch and Aidan Corr.

Only Whitfield and Corr are still at the club, but GWS have confirmed the latter will leave at the end of the season to return to Melbourne.

Grundy, meanwhile, slipped to Collingwood at pick 18 despite the advice of Sheedy and his assistant, Mark Williams, that the Giants pounce on a player they believed to be a generational talent.

"It was always going to bite them when they missed Grundy," Sheedy said.

"He wasn't playing up the bush, or tiddlywinks, or in the under-18s in Melbourne. He was playing at Sturt in the SANFL. Everybody could see it.

"At that stage, with all the draft picks we had, surely we could pick a bloody good ruckman with potential. In the end, they picked four players that most likely won't play in a grand final ... it's annoyed me ever since.

"It is the first time I've never been allowed to have an opinion in the draft as a head coach. And I thought, well, we'll wait five years.

"All Mark and I were told is 'you guys coach the team and we'll do the selection' and that was a bullshit decision. SOS [Silvagni] got it wrong, Mark Williams and I were watching like a couple of wise old owls on a branch."

Time has proved them both right, with Grundy a bonafide AFL superstar and two-time All Australian who is in the prime of a sensational career at Collingwood, while the Giants are trying to make do with two weathered veterans.

As for the other big talking point at the Giants, coach Leon Cameron's controversial decision to drop captain Stephen Coniglio, Sheedy was far less critical, noting that he also axed Essendon skipper Simon Madden in 1981, his first year as Bombers coach.

"I dropped my captain. He's a guy that was a legend - after I dropped him, he became a legend," he said.

"He was playing very ordinary. He was hurt, obviously - we all get hurt. But it made us a great club in the end. I went and got him a ruck coach that made him an absolutely fantastic ruckman, and became a great leader at Essendon without the title called 'captain'.

"Coniglio will learn by this, he'll be a fantastic leader in the end. He's a marvellous young man. It's only a two-hour deal. Get on with life."

Well we all knew SOS wasn’t the bee’s knee’s this proves it. Big big miss.

Sheeds is like an empty beer can in the wind, always rattling along making noise.

Does he not know that 11 other clubs also overlooked Grundy before the Pies snaffled him ??

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Sheeds is like an empty beer can in the wind, always rattling along making noise.

Does he not know that 11 other clubs also overlooked Grundy before the Pies snaffled him ??
Sheeds doesn't give a rats about which other clubs else missed him - he cares that his club's recruiter refused (over not one, but five selections!) to select a top class ruckman.

A poor decision that continues to impact the on field GWS team today.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Sheeds doesn't give a rats about which other clubs else missed him - he cares that his club's recruiter refused (over not one, but five selections!) to select a top class ruckman.

A poor decision that continues to impact the on field GWS team today.

So why isn't Sheeds having a crack at the drafting choices in the years since 2012 ?? The club could have picked up a ruckman in any of the next 2-3 years after that and they would be at the peak of their powers now.

Clearly this is an area of the playing list that has been grossly neglected over a long period of time but for Sheeds to just pluck out one example of error smells of grandstanding to me.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
So why isn't Sheeds having a crack at the drafting choices in the years since 2012 ?? The club could have picked up a ruckman in any of the next 2-3 years after that and they would be at the peak of their powers now.

Clearly this is an area of the playing list that has been grossly neglected over a long period of time but for Sheeds to just pluck out one example of error smells of grandstanding to me.

Because we had a shot at the best ruck in the game (5times) and the coach and assistant were both over ruled at that time.

Looking at how we draft now, Leon and his assistants are involved.

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
If your mob don't draft a project ruck this year I'd be gobsmacked.
Assuming Mumford retires that would make four rucks on the list: Jacobs, Flynn, Briggs, project ruck draftee.

Pretty unlikely you'd think unless they are going to cut one of Briggs/Flynn. Jacobs is contracted for another year.

Back