News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 1 journo predicting a return to finals for the club so hopefully the underdog status will be good for the club but IMO it will require senior players stepping up and playing to potential and the younger players coming in and clicking and if the club does make finals anything is possible

GWS Giants AFL news: Greater Western Sydney Giants onballer Josh Kelly eyeing repeat of his 2017 All-Australian campaign

An All-Australian in 2017, Josh Kelly has had a trio of interrupted seasons but is eager to return to the competition’s best. Are KFC SuperCoaches sleeping on the Giant?

Gun Giant Josh Kelly spent the off-season studying the likes of Andrew Gaff, Scott Pendlebury and Patrick Cripps to plot a return to the AFL’s elite.
Kelly franked his reputation as one of the game’s brightest talents with All-Australian selection in 2017, the season he rejected North Melbourne’s audacious nine-year, $10 million offer to lure him south.

That breakout campaign was supposed to be the beginning of the now 26-year-old’s path to the top. Instead, it remains Kelly’s best season.

He wants to change that this year, with Greater Western Sydney needing him more than ever, after Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams, Aidan Corr, Jye Caldwell and Zac Langdon left for rival teams.

Kelly is still one of the Giants’ most important players, but the silky midfielder’s club best and fairest results since winning in 2017 are ninth, outside the top 10, and equal-fourth.

The recurring theme? Injury. Nothing overly serious, but annoyingly constant and varied.

A groin problem and concussion kept him to 16 of 24 games in 2018; knee, adductor and calf setbacks meant only 18 appearances out of 26 in 2019; and he played 14 of a possible 17 times last year, because of calf and concussion issues.

“It’s definitely been a frustrating element in the past few years,” Kelly told The Daily Telegraph.

“I start to feel like I’m finding some form and playing good football, then that run comes to an end because of injury.

“I hadn’t really dealt with injuries until three or so years ago, whenever it was that I had groin soreness. It’s just been those little inconsistencies.

“That’s the pleasing thing about this pre-season – it’s been consistent. I’ve been able to work on certain areas of my game that I probably haven’t been able to in previous pre-seasons.”

Kelly will also be a free agent for the first time this year, albeit a restricted one, and the Kangaroos and others are certain to come calling again.

The other option is for him to trigger an automatic extension – negotiated when he re-signed for two years in 2019 – that will see him remain a Giant well into his 30s.

Kelly is preparing to answer repeated questions about his contract situation, but said his focus was elsewhere.

“I feel like after my breakout year, I was really looking forward to cementing myself as just a week in, week out consistent footballer,” he said.

“That’s the thing that’s frustrated me the most – not being able to be out there every week, continuing to improve my game, help my teammates and be reliable, in that sense.

“It’s hard to entirely reflect on without being a bit frustrated at times, but, at the same time, I’ve felt like I’ve had good patches of form where I’ve been able to be at my best.”

Rather than constantly identifying faults in his own arsenal, Kelly prefers to learn from the best, whether that’s NFL quarterback Tom Brady, any number of NBA superstars, or even closer to home in the AFL.

Gaff’s work ethic, Pendlebury’s craftiness and class around the contest, and Patrick Cripps’ body use have given Kelly plenty to absorb.

One thing is certain in Kelly’s pursuit of greatness: he won’t leave anything to chance. In fact, his GWS teammates often rib him for his unerring pre-match routine.

His carbohydrate-packed dinner the night before consists of pasta, garlic bread or pizza and salad, then he’ll have some toast afterwards.

Game day always starts the same way, too: a few Weet-Bix, a banana and more pasta.

“You’d have to ask some of my teammates. I swear they know me better than me sometimes. I just like it being pretty consistent,” Kelly said.

“Also, post a game, if I haven’t had a good game, I don’t want to look back and say, ‘I did this differently’.

“I don’t want there to be any reasons or excuses for why I may not have played well, or for playing better than normal.”

BIG, BIG DEBUT: GIANTS TO UNLEASH DRAFT PRODIGY
Greater Western Sydney will unleash a pair of AFL debutants against St Kilda on Sunday as the Giants prepare to kick off their season of redemption with a new-look squad.

Hard-luck ruckman Matt Flynn and first-round draftee Tanner Bruhn – fresh from kicking four goals against Sydney in the Community Series two Sundays ago – will be in GWS’s final 22.

Coach Leon Cameron rubber-stamped their selections on Monday, but ruled out Jake Riccardi after the key forward suffered an ankle injury in an intraclub game on Saturday morning.

Cameron was particularly thrilled for Flynn, an Academy product who was the No. 41 pick in 2015 but had to bide his time through injury and playing behind more seasoned big men.

“He walked into our footy club 1940-odd days ago. It’s a wonderful story,” Cameron said.

“We let the guys know … and there was a lot of emotion in the room, because they know how hard Matty’s worked to get this opportunity. It puts a smile on my face.

“With AFL footy; it’s so hard, it’s brutal. Flynny hasn’t had a lot of luck over the last few years, but he gets a great opportunity on Sunday.”

Flynn, who had to fight back from an ACL rupture in mid-2019, was dealing with an ankle complaint, but proved his fitness at the weekend.

A number of lightly played teammates are set to join them in facing flag fancy St Kilda at Giants Stadium, with Isaac Cumming, Connor Idun and Jack Buckley also strongly in the mix.

There is still a decision to make on former captain Phil Davis (knee), but Jesse Hogan (quadriceps) won’t play until at least round two and Lachie Whitfield (bruised liver) is another fortnight beyond that.

The forward set-up without Riccardi and Hogan remains a source of intrigue, with Cameron adding more complexity to the situation.

Harry Himmelberg and Jeremy Finlayson are likely to be there, but Buckley, Idun and Davis could all play a role in the forward half if required.

Cameron said he may even contemplate selecting untried ruckman Kieren Briggs.

The coach wants to re-establish a more attacking style of football as they take aim at returning to the finals.

“We want to play a brand of footy where we’re hard to play against. We dropped away in that aspect in 2020,” he said.

“Clearly, we need to move the ball better and we’ve worked on that heavily over the pre-season. We’re not shy about going through the corridor again.

“Idun, Buckley, Cumming, Riccardi, Flynn – all these guys who’ve been waiting for the last few years will get opportunities. We’re excited about what’s coming through.”

Great piece on Matty Flynn here with insights from HH, Mumford and Ward. Emma really is a cracking long form writer.

Greene admits Giants’ leaders failed ‘isolated’ Coniglio as Amazon series exposes turmoil

By Vince Rugari
March 18, 2021 — 12.48pm

New Greater Western Sydney vice-captain Toby Greene has vowed to provide better support to skipper Stephen Coniglio, admitting he was left too “isolated” in a difficult first year in the role.

Coniglio’s challenging start to his captaincy has been laid bare on the eve of the new AFL season in an Amazon Prime documentary, which charts his and the team’s struggles throughout the 2020 campaign.

As the Giants fell out of the top eight for the first time in five years, Coniglio’s form fell off a cliff after taking over from Phil Davis and Callan Ward, the club’s inaugural co-captains.

The film, Making Their Mark, shows Coniglio trying and failing to rally his teammates in fly-on-the-wall footage from team meetings and pre-match, half-time and post-match addresses.

In one scene, coming midway through GWS’s season, Greene told Coniglio and coach Leon Cameron that the rest of the leadership group “probably haven’t helped him too much as what we should have.”

On Thursday, Greene - who was last week elevated to the vice-captaincy - reaffirmed his belief that Coniglio was the right man to lead the Giants, but conceded he couldn’t do it all on his own.

“He would have felt a bit isolated and probably under the pump. I’m there to help,” Greene said.

“I know a lot of the other guys are there as well. We had a lot of younger guys in leadership [group] last year so hopefully we’re a year better and a year older.

“[We have] amazing faith [in Coniglio] That’s shown, every day on the track and in the gym and at training. Everyone’s got the utmost respect and looking forward to what we can do this year together.”

Coniglio’s narrative arc ended with his controversial axing from the team in their penultimate game of the season, the 27-year-old holding back tears as Cameron told him he wouldn’t be playing against Melbourne - the first time an AFL captain had been dropped for performance reasons in over 20 years.

Coniglio said it was a “very difficult time” but, upon reflection, now realises that he spread himself too thin and tried to take on too much responsibility himself - a burden that was made even heavier by the pandemic.

“I was just complicating things that didn’t need to be complicating. That’s something I’ve always been really good at, is not overcomplicating things - just doing three or four things really well than trying to think and doing too many things,” he said.

“I never really felt like I was completely on top of my game. It’s difficult when you’re doing the same kind of things, mental or physical preparation, but you’re not getting the results.

“What changed for me? Of course the captaincy brought a few different things which I probably just didn’t handle or manage well enough, whether it be time management, load management - it was probably not there for me. First and foremost, my performance needs to be the most important thing leading the group, and that wasn’t there.”

The Giants open their season at home on Sunday to St Kilda, who mauled them by 52 points in the final game of last year, consigning them to a 10th-placed finish.

“We’ve had a lot of months to sift through exactly what went wrong,” Coniglio said.

“Lots of good players and great teams have faced adversity ... in this particular mindset I’m in at the moment, I really want to make a strong statement this year personally but more importantly, as a team.

“I’m very confident in the work we’ve been doing. The group, the buy-in, especially in our off-season program, our ability to come together and chat throughout the off-season was definitely unlike any other year.”

'He's the right man': Giants boss on why Leon's critics are wrong
Like his senior coach, GWS CEO Dave Matthews is confident this season will show that 2020 was the exception to the rule
By Michael Whiting - 5 hrs ago
P1CoGW19MW2785.JPG

GWS coach Leon Cameron and club CEO Dave Matthews embrace after the Giants' 2019 preliminary final victory. Picture: AFL Photos
GREATER Western Sydney CEO Dave Matthews says it's time for the footy public to get off Leon Cameron's back.
Cameron will begin his eighth season in charge of the Giants when they open their campaign against St Kilda at home on Sunday,
After missing the finals last season for the first time since 2015, pre-season commentary has swirled abut Cameron's long-term job security despite having a contract until the end of 2022.

Matthews was emphatic in his support, telling AFL.com.au there was no doubt his club had the right man at the helm.

"His coaching track record is there for all to see," Matthews said.
"He's not a first-year coach, he's been coaching at this club for a long time.
"It's not a subjective view, it's an objective view. Objectively he's done a very good job coaching this club.
"Sometimes he attracts attention, I think, that is disproportionate with his record. He's got us to four finals series, won us finals in every one of those years.
"Whilst we can all dwell on some disappointments of 2020, we're not going to. If you took a line through the last five years, six years, we've been a very competitive unit and he's the right man to lead us."
S2CoGW18QR0232.JPG

Leon Cameron and Toby Greene ahead of the Giants' 2018 semi-final against Collingwood at the MCG. Picture: AFL Photos
Cameron has a 56 per cent winning record from 125 games in charge, including a Grand Final appearance in 2019 before last year's nosedive.
Matthews says despite the off-season loss of Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams and Aidan Corr among six player departures, he expected a return to the form closer to 2019 than that of 2020.
2021 FREE AGENTS Check out who is up for grabs
"I think change is part of footy," he said.
"Some of those guys have been terrific servants at our club. I know how torn Jeremy was with his decision.
"I just think it creates further opportunity.
"I don't see this as any sort of rebuild at all, I see it as a reset.
"There's a bit of change in personnel and a few tweaks to the gameplan that Leon and his coaching group have been looking at, but it's certainly more a reset than a rebuild."

Cameron said he spent some of his off-season reflecting on what went wrong last year.
It came down to a few areas, he said: not being strong enough around the contest, not moving the ball well enough and not handling the 'hubs' as well as they could have.

"We reviewed hard, didn't put our head in the sand and had a really strong pre-season," Cameron said.
"It doesn't mean you're going to win every week, but what it does mean is you want to get your DNA back and that means competing, competing for every second, every minute of the game.
"We want to be closer to the 2019 Giants.
"We need to bounce back with our appetite, our contested method that we built up a really good brand, a really good DNA at our club over four or five years.
"We need to get that brand back.
"We want to play finals footy every year, regardless of whether or not we've got six new kids. When you make the eight, anything can happen."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/563455/-he-s-the-right-man-giants-boss-on-why-leon-s-critics-are-wrong

'He's the right man': Giants boss on why Leon's critics are wrong
Like his senior coach, GWS CEO Dave Matthews is confident this season will show that 2020 was the exception to the rule
By Michael Whiting - 5 hrs ago
P1CoGW19MW2785.JPG

GWS coach Leon Cameron and club CEO Dave Matthews embrace after the Giants' 2019 preliminary final victory. Picture: AFL Photos
GREATER Western Sydney CEO Dave Matthews says it's time for the footy public to get off Leon Cameron's back.
Cameron will begin his eighth season in charge of the Giants when they open their campaign against St Kilda at home on Sunday,
After missing the finals last season for the first time since 2015, pre-season commentary has swirled abut Cameron's long-term job security despite having a contract until the end of 2022.

Matthews was emphatic in his support, telling AFL.com.au there was no doubt his club had the right man at the helm.

"His coaching track record is there for all to see," Matthews said.
"He's not a first-year coach, he's been coaching at this club for a long time.
"It's not a subjective view, it's an objective view. Objectively he's done a very good job coaching this club.
"Sometimes he attracts attention, I think, that is disproportionate with his record. He's got us to four finals series, won us finals in every one of those years.
"Whilst we can all dwell on some disappointments of 2020, we're not going to. If you took a line through the last five years, six years, we've been a very competitive unit and he's the right man to lead us."
S2CoGW18QR0232.JPG

Leon Cameron and Toby Greene ahead of the Giants' 2018 semi-final against Collingwood at the MCG. Picture: AFL Photos
Cameron has a 56 per cent winning record from 125 games in charge, including a Grand Final appearance in 2019 before last year's nosedive.
Matthews says despite the off-season loss of Jeremy Cameron, Zac Williams and Aidan Corr among six player departures, he expected a return to the form closer to 2019 than that of 2020.
2021 FREE AGENTS Check out who is up for grabs
"I think change is part of footy," he said.
"Some of those guys have been terrific servants at our club. I know how torn Jeremy was with his decision.
"I just think it creates further opportunity.
"I don't see this as any sort of rebuild at all, I see it as a reset.
"There's a bit of change in personnel and a few tweaks to the gameplan that Leon and his coaching group have been looking at, but it's certainly more a reset than a rebuild."

Cameron said he spent some of his off-season reflecting on what went wrong last year.
It came down to a few areas, he said: not being strong enough around the contest, not moving the ball well enough and not handling the 'hubs' as well as they could have.

"We reviewed hard, didn't put our head in the sand and had a really strong pre-season," Cameron said.
"It doesn't mean you're going to win every week, but what it does mean is you want to get your DNA back and that means competing, competing for every second, every minute of the game.
"We want to be closer to the 2019 Giants.
"We need to bounce back with our appetite, our contested method that we built up a really good brand, a really good DNA at our club over four or five years.
"We need to get that brand back.
"We want to play finals footy every year, regardless of whether or not we've got six new kids. When you make the eight, anything can happen."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/563455/-he-s-the-right-man-giants-boss-on-why-leon-s-critics-are-wrong

When Dave Matthews gets the call from City Hall to call in Leon make sure he grabs the D.Matthews file as well and sacks himself.

Regardless of Matthews admirable tenacity during his tenure with us his arrogance, pride, stubbornness and bloody mindedness is ultimately the things that will have cost the club and generation of players a flag.

His first mistake was to re-sign Kevin Sheedy when Mark Williams was at the club. This was a mindless, parochial and ignorant decision which in my mind cost us a Premiership. Sheedy was completely cooked, he had done his job getting the club up and about but ridiculously was given another year earning the ire of Williams and causing him to quit.

Know-all Matthews then started his series of poor recruitment calls, signing Cameron over Adam Simpson, Wayne Campbell then Jason McCarthy and let’s not forget the BC3 moron and another other ex Richmond bum chum Craig Cameron.

If you look at it Matthews performance can only be viewed as terrible. He and his men have allowed the club to descend in a parlous salary cap state. The club’s obsession to keep all Academy assets whilst recruiting the same style of players has led to a list that is unbalanced and now being completely exploited by rule changes.

The sum of this is that if drastic changes do not occur right now not only will a generational flag be the cost but the club will descend into performance mediocrity that the league has not yet seen.

Time for the AFL to step in and do something about it. Time for a change and that change is right at the top.

An intriguing article in the Tele this morning quoting Bartel and McCartney.

McCartney in full ‘nothing to see here, Leon’s doing a great job’ mode.

However, the article begins by noting we’ve lost our last 5 straight games, and 7 of last 9.

Bartel then quoted as saying “We’re in such a rush to sack coaches”.

So open to doing it, but just more ‘slowly’?

He then made the fascinating statement that we have a very “club-friendly contract” for the Head Coach.

Wow - did he wink when he said that?

Does that imply that there may be minimum win hurdles in Leon’s contract?

If so, perhaps the club has a right to break the head coach contract if the current trajectory continues.

That would a commercial reason for the Board to sit on its hands.

It looks like things will have to get worse before a change of HC can make it better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Interesting they are still pushing private ownership.

Look I’m all for it happens all over the world, but we would need it guaranteed that the club wouldn’t be moved from Western Sydney.

Interesting also we are behind the Saints and Suns in distribution.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting they are still pushing private ownership.

Look I’m all for it happens all over the world, but we would need it guaranteed that the club wouldn’t be moved from Western Sydney.

Interesting also we are behind the Saints and Suns in distribution.

If this happens, I don’t think the club will be geographically moved.

These very wealthy US guys fly NY-LA-SYD, so the current location will suit them, and AFL HQ will want to ensure no geographic change too.

From a timing perspective, if it happens it will happen this year IMO because these guys ‘buy low’ for a living.

Also, Gil would be desperate to find any long term budget savings possible across AFL.

Gil might also be open to throwing in a COLA subsidy and a draft pick or two.

The people most uneased by any ownership change will likely be the leadership working at Giants HQ.

These guys would set very high standards, and be very unafraid to hold everyone at the club to those standards.

They might also put a lot more heat on governments, who US sporting teams always hit up big time for in-kind benefits.

For example, they might look to negotiate a very aggressive lease on Giants Stadium.

If you want my best guess at an analogy from EPL, it might make us look a little bit Spurs/Chelsea-like, albeit on a far more modest AFL scale.

They might be prepared to spend strategically (by AFL standards, not EPL standards), but would be unafraid to fire tactically.

It definitely wouldn’t be Man City-like (ie, endless spending, endless resources), but might be better than Man U-like (ie, ATM cash dispenser for Glazer family).

Definitely one to watch.

One way or another, the club is unlikely to be out of the news in 2021.

Last edited:
If this happens, I don’t think the club will be geographically moved.

Of course not. If anything they might push for GWS to become the "Sydney Giants". "Sydney" is where the money is.

They might also put a lot more heat on governments, who US sporting teams always hit up big time for in-kind benefits.

Privately-owned teams traditionally have less leverage because they are indeed privately owned.

For example, they might look to negotiate a very aggressive lease on Giants Stadium.

Forget the lease. Who got the stadium built ?

If you want my best guess at an analogy from EPL

The EPL is were you shouldn't be looking for an analogy. The NFL is a lot closer to AFL situation or even the NRL.

They might be prepared to spend strategically .

IMO there is only a handful of examples to look at - Edelstein and maybe the Broncos.
Edelstein - promotion to enhance interests. This group may be looking to leverage promotion in the U.S.A.
Broncos - private ownership in a large city but there are huge differences starting with competition from an established football icon in the Swans.

Privately-owned teams traditionally have less leverage because they are indeed privately owned.
The US model has a lot of leverage in private hands because of the threat to move the club.

The US model has a lot of leverage in private hands because of the threat to move the club.

"threat to move", yes , sometimes NFL owners resort to blackmail to leverage their situation
but generally speaking the expectation is that a sport pays for it's own development.
In Australia there is a different expectation based on community's needs.
Blackmail works in the U.S.A. because there are numerous large cities without a NFL, MLB, NBA side etc.

The Age/SMH V. Rugari 25.3.21

Whilst this article does not specifically mention GWS, its contents are crucial for the future of GWS & GR AF in NSW & ACT- as it notes:-

. the Academy systems in NSW/ACT are now procuring "first choice athletes" for the AFL.

. G. McLachlan flew to Sydney last week, where he met G. Berejiklian & other NSW govt. Ministers & MP's. The purpose was to relay directly the AFL's concerns re the crisis in the shortage of GR facilities in Sydney (mainly in the NS & ES). These GR shortages are occuring due to the AF GR club & school comp. boom in Sydney.

. The AFL recognises the distinct problems GWS & Swans have in retainin/attracting players- partially due to the high cost of living & real estate in Sydney's more "salubrious" areas.

McLachlan later stated (see Rothfield link below) "we got a terrific reception, the Premier was great...We've actually got a waiting list for clubs & players (my emphasis)".
This can be inferred as meaning the AFL is confident there will be significant increase in govt./council GR AF facilities' funding; & more new GR AF clubs in Sydney are imminent, due to expressions of interest.

The first two above topics are a further demonstration of the strong growth of GR AF club & school comps. in NSW & ACT- which increases both areas' strategic importance for the AFL in the future. GWS & Sydney, therefore, can be assured of ongoing, significant funding by the AFL.

This is the Daily Telegraph/P. Rothfield's 27.3 account of McLachlan's meeting with Berejiklian, where Rothfield specifically mentions that "participation nos.- especially amongst women- are taking off" in Sydney etc.

Last edited:
Canberra Times

Headline - “Giants can still win AFL Premiership, says 10-year veteran Nick Haynes

Personally, I welcome this ‘all-in’ player rhetoric ahead of this weekend’s game at Manuka.

This match feels more like a Week 1 Elimination Final - rather than R3 - fixture by the day.

IMO, two damning points leap off the page from this article.

First, the failure to shift to a Phil-Cogs Co-Captain model. I’m going to avoid taking the bait and blaming it on Cogs as Caro is determined to do, as that could simply be VFL-land press spin.

However, I hold the Chairman, CEO and HC accountable for failing to implement Phil-Cogs.

Second, if the Chairman and key Board member Bartel are running with the story that they haven’t watched the Amazon train wreck then wow, just wow.

If that is true, these people are being negligent in failing to do their job of assessing all available info relevant to the perception, stability and success of the club.

If it’s not true, that doesn’t help the credibility of a management that is insisting there is no problem at the club.

Last edited:
IMO, two damning points leap off the page from this article.

First, the failure to shift to a Phil-Cogs Co-Captain model. I’m going to avoid taking the bait and blaming it on Cogs as Caro is determined to do, as that could simply be VFL-land press spin.

However, I hold the Chairman, CEO and HC accountable for failing to implement Phil-Cogs.

Second, if the Chairman and key Board member Bartel are running with the story that they haven’t watched the Amazon train wreck then wow, just wow.

If that is true, these people are being negligent in failing to do their job of assessing all available info relevant to the perception, stability and success of the club.

If it’s not true, that doesn’t help the credibility of a management that is insisting there is no problem at the club.

Was there a known falling out between cogs and davis? They stopped the G1 and G3 series suddenly one year and never returned. Thought a co-captaincy for a fresh captain with a good mate would be a great opportunity unless there were things brewing behind the scenes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back