News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

About 10 days ago, at a function in the NSW Parliament building attended by G. McLachlan & other AFL officials, a Parliamentary group called "Parliamentary Friends Of The AFL" was formed. More than 50 people attended the event, inc. G. Berejiklian, J. McKay etc.

Members of this new group include G. Berejiklian, Opposition Leader J. Mc Kay, & a total of. 20 NSW MP.'s. This, hopefully, will be a very influential group to advance the interests of the AFL & GR AF in NSW.

The first issue likely to be on the agenda of the group is the crisis in GR facilities in Sydney, mainly in the NS & ES.

GWS is not mentioned in the article- but GWS (& the Swans) have an interest in ensuring ANZ stadium does not lose its ability to host AFL matches ie remains an oval. There will be times when GWS is playing big home matches, which would attract crowds MUCH bigger than the capacity of Giants Stadium: GWS will play at ANZ.
Ditto Swans games that can, & do, attract crowds bigger than 48 K capacity of SCG.

(See point 2).

Last edited:
Some big comments in a Marc McGowan & Jon Ralph article in the Tele/Hun tonight.

For example:

“For Cameron, managing the injury crisis and fallout from publicity including the Amazon doco is equaled by the task of winning games with a list never designed for football in 2021.

The list was built on the task of winning brutal finals football with big bruising midfielders who thrived at stoppages”.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

From the ABC:

Pretty good analysis.

We are missing JC more than we realise.

From the ABC:

Pretty good analysis.

We are missing JC more than we realise.
Basically, we're s**t in every category, both offensively and defensively.

I think our club has been very well served by the Co-Captain model since inception.

Cal and Phil were exemplary co-Captains.

It halves the pressure and workload, and recognises the reality of injuries to and pressures on Captains.

The VFL press is way out over their skis in calling for Cogs to be replaced.

Whether Cogs and TFG are C and VC, or Co-C probably doesn’t make that much difference.

Further, TFG is far to classy and loyal to ask to be made C.

Cogs will definitely refind his best form on return from injury, like a quality batsman coming back from a few early dismissals.

However, if I were Cogs, I’d ask my mate TFG to join me as Co-C for 2022 once season 2021 is done.

I just don’t see any downside for anyone, only upside.

Last edited:
smh.com.au V. Rugari 17.4.21

"Australia Rules Football Is Booming In Sydney"

V. Rugari is a soccer fan, & has been writing professionally (inc. the SMH) about soccer for 15+ years.
He expands on his SMH article in tweet below- & other soccer fans offer their views on his article.

Click on "V. Rugari" picture above, then go to 17.4, for his brief AF in Sydney comments- then click on
"Show This Thread" for other c. 38 soccer fans' views & explanations for the AF boom in Sydney.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Curley at the Tele in his match write-up gives the BOG votes for our away win at the SCG as follows.

Franklin - 3
Dawson - 2
Hopper - 1

So we win the game and our players get only 1 of the six votes?

This isn’t sports reporting, it’s satire.

Curls loves the dogs so that should tell you all you need to know about his thoughts in us.

Edit- I should say his dislike of us is purely dogs related. Promotes the sport in Sydney and is all for both clubs here.
Just isn’t a fan of us winning, anything.

Great little article about Sam Taylor. I still shudder about what he went through last year with his health.

GIANTS defender Sam Taylor is grateful to be tackling the game's best forwards after last year's frightening health scare, when the adage about learning to walk before you can run proved true. Taylor hardly featured in analysis of the GIANTS' woes in 2020, when he was hospitalised after round four and eventually diagnosed with septic arthritis. The 21-year-old's importance, currently amplified by Phil Davis' calf injury, is perhaps best reflected by the fact he may play on Western Bulldogs Marcus Bontempelli and Aaron Naughton at different stages of Friday night's clash in Canberra.

Or that he was asked to stop his childhood idol Lance Franklin in the recent derby. Taylor admitted he was rattled during his first match against the four-time Coleman medallist. "There was definitely a bit of chat, back and forth," Taylor said. "Well, more me taking it. I'd never played on a player like him, he's just amazing. So impressive. I didn't realise he was so strong, even though I've watched him play so many times. It was a great experience. I did lose my cool a bit in the last quarter. I was over it, I just wanted to beat him badly."

Franklin booted five goals on Saturday, but GIANTS coach Leon Cameron praised Taylor's fight and final quarter. "Some kids can drop their head, but Sammy is the other way," Cameron said.

Such typical ‘shoot the messenger’ BS from VFL HQ.

VFL HQ should be investigating its own umpires, and asking whether there are performance deficiencies so extreme that the umps should be dropped.

Or even worse, whether there integrity issues from such a narrow Victorian umpiring pool in a national game.

McCartney has just doubled in my estimation as someone just has to call it out.

It would NEVER, EVER happen to a VFL club playing at home against interstate opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To say that emotionally these umps don’t have personal bias and that they are straight down the line is a joke.
Especially how obvious it was on Friday night(and let’s just remember the finals ride the dogs got in 2016, Christ that was blatant).

have a look at the season free kick stats for the dogs. Statistical anomaly? They have conceded 2 less than everyone else per game and only 2 sides within 3 freekicks received.

For a side that literally throws it around

VFL HQ melts down when De Goey gets his mobile phone and screams ‘integrity’, but simply ignores the real in-game integrity problem of Victorian umpires.

There is absolutely no reason there can’t be geographically neutral (eg, our game vs Dogs at Manuka should have had SA or WA umpires) senior umpires at each game.

Why doesn’t it happen?

Because VFL vested interests know for a fact it will cost their mates’ teams games, finals and flags.

It’s that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

JESSE Hogan is set to be unleashed for his long-awaited debut for Greater Western Sydney on Saturday, as the key forward looks to resurrect his career at a third club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back