News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

A number of the guys went for life changing differences in income. Corr, Tomlinson the most obvious, they really didnt have a choice. Pre-injury it was working great for Tomlinson, finally had a defined spot, was making good cash in the team on top.

Guys like Cameron, Shiel and Treloar commanded a huge wage wherever they went would be weighing it all up for different reasons.

I often wonder how Marchbank and Setterfeld feel. they were highly touted and haven't really fired a shot. Wonder if they regret their decisions.

I remember someone saying that of all the players that left Marchbank was the one that hurt most. Surprised me to hear that.

Tomlinson was the only one I can remember that didn't have a contract on the table when he left.

all the ones heater named had offers on the table from us and left for more money. There's a few who rejected the bigger dollars to stay. Treloar, Shiel et al, could have done the same.

no sympathy

A number of the guys went for life changing differences in income. Corr, Tomlinson the most obvious, they really didnt have a choice. Pre-injury it was working great for Tomlinson, finally had a defined spot, was making good cash in the team on top.

Guys like Cameron, Shiel and Treloar commanded a huge wage wherever they went would be weighing it all up for different reasons.

I often wonder how Marchbank and Setterfeld feel. they were highly touted and haven't really fired a shot. Wonder if they regret their decisions.

I remember someone saying that of all the players that left Marchbank was the one that hurt most. Surprised me to hear that.
Word is Tomlinson would have stayed at GWS for half what he got at MEL. Was some group discontent that his loyalty wasn’t rewarded with an extension.

Word is Tomlinson would have stayed at GWS for half what he got at MEL. Was some group discontent that his loyalty wasn’t rewarded with an extension.
He loved the place, and was well loved in the playeing group.

Isn't the story that Melbourne offered him a great contract and the Giants basically said, congratulations that is way more than we can offer you, take it, you deserve it and good luck.

He loved the place, and was well loved in the playeing group.

Isn't the story that Melbourne offered him a great contract and the Giants basically said, congratulations that is way more than we can offer you, take it, you deserve it and good luck.
I guess that’s how the Giants would sell it and maybe that’s right.
The slightly different version was that he didn’t want to take the MEL offer and made it known he’d take far less to stay, but wasn’t made an offer. The result was him leaving feeling disappointed and unwanted by the club.
Either way, he seems to have fitted in very well at MEL and was in career best form before injury.

Tomlinson was the only one I can remember that didn't have a contract on the table when he left.

all the ones heater named had offers on the table from us and left for more money. There's a few who rejected the bigger dollars to stay. Treloar, Shiel et al, could have done the same.

no sympathy

I agree with you 100 per cent on Treloar, but you’re mistaken on Shiel.

Shiel never turned his back on us.

We could easily have ended up with a cap train wreck like the Pies.

Hard decisions were made on mids and the salary cap and - to be fair - I think they have largely been proven correct.

That is to say Shiel is a very good player, but would we really want to swap him with any of our current mids?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I guess that’s how the Giants would sell it and maybe that’s right.
The slightly different version was that he didn’t want to take the MEL offer and made it known he’d take far less to stay, but wasn’t made an offer. The result was him leaving feeling disappointed and unwanted by the club.
Either way, he seems to have fitted in very well at MEL and was in career best form before injury.

Spot on.

In defence of list management though, unless he’s Phil’s successor it was hard to make the cap space argument for prioritising Thommo over Taylor, Idun and others who will require larger renewals.

Really glad Thommo got to play the 2019 GF though, he absolutely deserved that reward for service.

Jason McCartney in the Tele today.

Mummy will retire at end 2021, neither party seeking extension.

Hogan will be extended for 2022.

One of the big improvers and bit of a nothing article but I dont think I have seen any about him previously apart from when he was drafted
A puff piece for sure, but it does provide a small amount of insight into his thinking. He's certainly come along very well this year; along with Isaac Cumming & Jack Buckley probably our biggest improver(s) - an outstanding level of improvement from that (defensive) group. I wonder how much was sparked by last year's experience?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a very bad sign re player retention.

Why isn’t the CEO doing this work?

Im not sure it means that.

Toby achieving something doesn't make someone else bad.

JK has been offered the longest contract in the comp on near $1m a year at a time of financial distress in the game and society.

IMO this contract decision is a referendum on the club’s leadership - both CEO and HC.

If both Jezza and JK walk out in consecutive years it would be a complete management failure that would never be tolerated at a successful club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back