News Giants in the Media

Funny enough, this is completely contradictory to the video on the AFL site yesterday when they suggested Kelly was very likely to stay and that is the impression that the Vic clubs now have.
My view, he doesn't know.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
If both Jezza and JK walk out in consecutive years it would be a complete management failure that would never be tolerated at a successful club.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To be honest I disagree.

Don’t think it’s the end of the world. We have a stack of talent in the midfield and fwd mid roles.
Losing Kelly while disappointing, isn’t that bad and clears even more cap space.

Cameron was a kick to the guts because he was always thought to be a forgone conclusion he would be a lifer, damn covid.

I don’t think any management or coaching would of changed Jezzas mind and I don’t think it has an effect on Kelly either.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
JK has been offered the longest contract in the comp on near $1m a year at a time of financial distress in the game and society.

I question the wisdom of these long and expensive contracts.

We went down this road with Coniglio. It's reasonable to ask whether the resources would be better deployed elsewhere.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
IMG_5236.JPG

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
I guess I can put this whine in here ...,

Love the boys getting Friday night games .... the weekend is so pleasant once we win. BUT if I have to listen to BT and JB one more time I could lose the plot .... my ears are still bleeding after the 4th quarter wank off last night
I hear you and it was annoying as hell...but...
...their job is to stop all the Richmond and casual viewers from switching channels because it was a forgone conclusion by half-time.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Strength of Victory this season (i.e. the combined winning percentage of the teams they defeated):

1. Hawthorn (51.0%)
2. GWS (50.0%)
3. Melbourne (49.1%)
4. Adelaide (46.8%)
5. Sydney (46.6%)
6. Richmond (43.9%)
7. Geelong (43.8%)
8. Western Bulldogs (43.5%)
-
9. St Kilda (42.9%)
10. Brisbane (42.5%)
11. Collingwood (42.1%)
12. West Coast (40.0%)
13. Gold Coast (39.5%)
14. Carlton (38.7%)
15. Port Adelaide (38.4%)
16. North Melbourne (38.1%)
16. Fremantle (38.1%)
18. Essendon (37.1%)

Basically the lower you are on this list the more likely you are to be flat track bully.
Saw this and it confirms just how much the bombers are being sucked off in the media

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Poor old Sam Reid. He's my whipping boy too, in my end of season list scenario.

Interesting comment re Phil Davis - I would have thought the ball was in his court.

Everything else really as expected, except maybe for Sproule having interest.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Davis isn’t even 31 yet. Just because he came here from elsewhere at the beginning, you gotta remind yourself he wasn’t that much older than the other kids at the time. making him captain made him grow up fast and seem more mature and older than you think. He’s a full year younger than Sam Reid and only a little over 18 months older than Nick Haynes.

31 with the experience he brings - definitely has a couple left in him.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
31 with the experience he brings - definitely has a couple left in him.
The only question is, does he still have the hunger? He seems to have a lot of after-footy options (media, business, AFL management), with the never-ending list of injuries he's suffered, might he pull up stumps early? I think he does go on; I'd be happy for a 1-year contract for the next 2 or maybe 3 years depending on how he feels. But it depends heavily on him.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
The only question is, does he still have the hunger? He seems to have a lot of after-footy options (media, business, AFL management), with the never-ending list of injuries he's suffered, might he pull up stumps early? I think he does go on; I'd be happy for a 1-year contract for the next 2 or maybe 3 years depending on how he feels. But it depends heavily on him.

Everyone would surely love Phil to continue.

However, I think there’s a big question mark over:

1. Whether his body can take another 20+ games of footy in 2022.

2. And even if it can, whether for his own long term health he should battle on given his brutal injury history.

He’s surely destined for media, and it would be incredibly positive for the club to have his voice on 7 or Fox.

My best guess is he’s going extend for a year or retire.

It might depend on how we go in September, and if that’s the case we may not hear anything until our season is over.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Whether his body can take another 20+ games of footy in 2022.

does he need to though?

Mummy has been on managed games for a couple of years now.

yes, it’s a bit different down back to the ruck, but still - he doesn’t need to play 20+ to be more than useful to the club and team.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
does he need to though?

Mummy has been on managed games for a couple of years now.

yes, it’s a bit different down back to the ruck, but still - he doesn’t need to play 20+ to be more than useful to the club and team.
Agreed and if Stein continues to develop, there likely won't be much drop off from Phil to Stein when/if he gets injured and has to miss a few games

Back