News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

does he need to though?

Mummy has been on managed games for a couple of years now.

yes, it’s a bit different down back to the ruck, but still - he doesn’t need to play 20+ to be more than useful to the club and team.

You’re asking the right question, and I don’t have a sense of the answer.

It’s something of a classic list management issue.

Are both Phil AND Lachie K ‘required’ players for 2022?

How many expected games do each need to play in 2022 to be ‘required?

Are we targeting a KPD in the draft?

I hear you re Mummy, but - if I’m not mistaken - he’s technically a player/coach. Does that have a salary cap nuance to it?

My best guess is Phil extends for one year, but if something amazing happens in Sept then maybe that changes?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Davis in worse condition than we thought?
Not sure.

Some strange things happening. Stein on the outer for ages and now possibly a mainstay. Preuss not playing a game for the club but in the mix pre-finals.

I was surprised when Taylor was seen as the preferred option to play on the likes of Buddy and Dixon.

Not sure.

Some strange things happening. Stein on the outer for ages and now possibly a mainstay. Preuss not playing a game for the club but in the mix pre-finals.

I was surprised when Taylor was seen as the preferred option to play on the likes of Buddy and Dixon.

That shouldn’t be too surprising imo Phil Davis isn’t the defender he once was, he’s still good but Taylor has already established himself as an elite key defender that should be given the toughest key forward match up week in week out. The Stein thing is odd though was barely given a game all year and in the games he did play wasn’t all too impressive but now looks to be in a position to take Phil’s spot in defence?

Elite Shute Shield RU Clubs in WS are in big trouble, re their male contact nos., & competitiveness with other Shute Shield clubs- Penrith Emus discarded again.

Respected RU commentator & "Expert", G. Parkes, states that, in WS, GR AF is increasingly attracting more athletic players, & more nos. overall.

The Shute Shield elite RU comp. in Sydney will not allow Penrith to participate from 2022- both it, Western Sydney Two Blues (Parra), & West Harbour (Concord) are having difficulty providing 4 adult male teams, & 3 Colts' teams (but the latter two have more competitive teams, & will receive assistance from the SRU to increase their nos.).

"Elite clubs get their way with Penrith Emus set to be axed from Shute Shield again
Troy Dodds Western Weekender
August 13, 2021, 12:43

emus-2-640x428.jpg

The Penrith Emus celebrate a win earlier this season.

It appears the Penrith Emus have played their last match in the Shute Shield.

It’s understood the Emus have again been tossed out of the competition in a huge slap in the face to rugby union in greater western Sydney.
The Sydney Rugby Union (SRU) is expected to confirm over the next few days that the rest of the 2021 Shute Shield season will be abandoned, meaning the Emus have played their final game.
It’s understood the Western Sydney Two Blues, based on Parramatta, will survive the axe.

A furious Penrith Emus President Gary McColl said the decision to axe the club just three years after their return was perplexing.
“I have no idea why they invited us in, in order throw us out,” he told the Sydney Morning Herald.
“All it has done is cause angst, pain and suffering.
“Parramatta were invited to give a presentation to the SRU board, Newcastle were invited to give a presentation to the SRU board. But Penrith’s invitation obviously went astray in the mail.
“We were totally blindsided.”
No winner will be declared for the 2021 Shute Shield season, for the first time in early 100 years".

In WS, the decline of male contact RU will assist male contact RL nos.- but in NS & ES, it is GR AF ( & the AFL) that is gaining from the decline in male contact RU nos. there
(In NS & ES, RL GR contact nos. are very small, male or female- GR RL contact nos. have had a massive decline there).

3. G. Parkes, a respected expert RU writer on The Roar, on 16.8 gave a very detailed explanation for the woes of the Wallabies & GR RU, in a feature article.
Many of the c. 580 respondents to his article have provided their views on both these problems, & possible "solutions" for the Wallabies, & GR male contact RU.

Parkes wrote

"One of the reasons the Wallabies have left Eden Park every time since 1986 with their backside handed to them on a plate, one of the reasons Super Rugby has so overwhelmingly tipped in favour of New Zealand, is that Australian rugby doesn’t have access to Australia’s best athletes.

Many of those athletes reside in western Sydney. Talented boys of all ethnic backgrounds, who grow up to play rugby league, soccer, basketball and, increasingly, AFL. There are a small number who choose rugby, almost always because their parents are rugby people, often first-generation migrants from New Zealand or the Pacific Islands.

Once that generational chain is broken, and those families are no longer hard-core rugby families, then participation rates for the sport in the area (& probably NS & ES also) – already far lower than what it should be – will diminish even further (My emphases, & words in brackets)".

www.theroar.com.au

The Wrap: Something is rotten in Australian rugby and it’s not the Wallabies
It says a lot that the record 57-22 loss to the All Blacks in Auckland on Saturday, was not the worst thing to happen to Australian rugby over the last few days. More on the decision from the Sydney Rugby Union to expel Penrith from the Shute Shield competition, later. With the Bledisloe Cup...
www.theroar.com.au

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats to Jeremy Finlayson and his partner Kellie on the birth of their daughter. Nice to see a good news story in the current environment.

Capture - Sophia F.PNG

:gws:

Isaac Cumming

Isaac Cumming was a first-round draft pick in 2016, so was expected to eventually succeed at AFL level.

But the way he has developed for the Giants in 2021 has been something to behold.

He got a taste of it with games in 2018 (2), 2019 (5) and 2020 (3), essentially averaging 11 disposals across those 10 outings.

This year, however, he has taken his game to new heights as a talented defender with attacking qualities. He has averaged more than 22 touches, six rebounds 50s and is second at the club for intercept possessions

Now 23, Cumming is a first-choice selection for GWS and truly beginning to fulfil his enormous potential.

:thumbsu:

It really p*sses me off that VFL HQ pump out this anti-Giants BS the day before an elimination final.

VFL HQ keep playing each and every derby anywhere but NSW/ACT and then expect us to swallow this insult too.

IMG_5446.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Intresting stats on Cogs' usage since coming back from injury almost being used as a full time forward, his stats last year look about in line with what he was doing in previous years once adjusted for the shortened quarters. Green out and Taranto being used more as a forward should free him up to do what he does best, can't imagine they choose to give the midfield time to Bruhn instead of Cogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back