News Giants in the Media

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
My thoughts are similar.
The world is full of grey. People aren't good or bad, they are a mixture of both.
People like Wills and Macquarie did lots of positive things that made Australia what it is today. They also did a number of horrific things.
People are also a product of their times, I think it serves more value to acknowledge the wrong doings of the past.
These atrocities of the time involved otherwise good people, these issues were systematic or structural not bad people doing bad things.
Looking through this lens serves us better as a learning tool than the painting those involved as bad people.
I like this commentary, as well as Ichabod Noodle's thoughts. I think very much the same way - people and things are shades of grey, not black & white, not absolutes (or at least, rarely). Unfortunately, in this modern world, people seem to have lost the art of compromise, or being able to see the grey in things. I see it in my work all of the time - people want to be right and you must be wrong. And it's definitely the case in modern politics (especially in the USA, but increasingly in Australia), but even in society. The instant outrage at someone saying something that someone else perceives is wrong, or politically incorrect, or hurts someone's feelings. And in things like this, not taking the time to acknowledge the circumstances of the time. Yes, things can be wrong and horrific, but understand what the world was like in 1870 rather than 150 years later.

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
These atrocities of the time involved otherwise good people, these issues were systematic or structural not bad people doing bad things.

The Frontier War against the Aborigines involved bad men doing bad things to clear the way for everyone else. Everyone knew what was going on and why it was being done. They just didn't want to talk about it.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
JMc playing a very straight bat re our 2022 list.

TOJ’s uncertain personal situation aside, JMc is flagging no list changes as our base case for 2022 other than taking our high draft picks.

I have no reason to doubt that’s true today, but we almost always deliver one major trade trade surprise.

It will be interesting to see what that may be for 2022 (and no I really don’t believe it will be anything to do with Cogs).

IMG_5709.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We are a western Sydney club and should be concentrating on Western Sydney.
I reckon the ACT and Riverina are also important.
Playing 3 or 4 games there is building the base.
Having only 7 or 8 here makes every game more of an occasion.
They only get about 8 home games in the NFL each

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
Players have to travel more though than most other clubs ( other than West Coast, freo), this can have negative impacts on player retention.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
And I would be all for it if we had already nailed down our primary home of Western Sydney. We haven’t, by a long shot.
Doing stuff like this gives those who bag out AFL in Western Sydney ammunition that we aren’t there for the long hall or for the right reasons.

We are a western Sydney club and should be concentrating on Western Sydney.

There was word that Giants and Swans were to have additional home games for 2022

Generally there is minimum 2 at the start during the Easter period with the show
I hope they put 2 low drawing crowds down there as part of the 4 games if it happens.
GCS, Freo, NM games should be played at Manuka and 1 Blockbuster

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
GWS GIANTS: “The AFLW program’s staff and players are all double vaccinated. The AFL program is at around a 90% vaccination rate at the moment with the expectation that all staff and players will be double vaccinated before the beginning of pre-season, in line with the club’s policy that all people who enter the club are double vaccinated.”

Those who have come out at a club executive level have mostly campaigned strongly for staff to get the jab. Perhaps the strongest edict came from GWS chairman Tony Shepherd, who told The Age in October: “The Giants are vaccinating all staff, all board, everybody. Players have to be double-vaccinated.

AFL news 2021: Covid vaccine policy, every club status, players refusing jab, suspensions, inactive list, fines (foxsports.com.au)

- Greater Western Sydney wants at least two home matches before early April when it loses access to Giants Stadium for six weeks to accommodate Sydney's Easter Show. The Giants are also keen on at least one, and possibly two, Friday night games in Canberra.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
- Greater Western Sydney wants at least two home matches before early April when it loses access to Giants Stadium for six weeks to accommodate Sydney's Easter Show. The Giants are also keen on at least one, and possibly two, Friday night games in Canberra.

Night games in Canberra would be really cool

Back