News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I love it.

It'll fire up the boys for sure.
They'll put it up in the locker room.

I do see how the media would underestimate this forward line...I spent a fair bit of the off season wondering how it would work. But after the prac matches I feel way better...mostly due to the way Riccardi has performed and his confidence. I already knew Bobby and Tanner would be good.
I'm a bit bummed for Stone who now misses a chance to show what he can do for the first 5 weeks...but I guess his loss is Branders gain.

I dont get it, we had a stack if injuries last year, were away from home for half the comp, we have loads of players still improving, picked up 2 first round draft picks and lost no one.
We should be significantly better than last year where we made the semies.
Seen a few people pan them in the media.

I dont get it, we had a stack if injuries last year, were away from home for half the comp, we have loads of players still improving, picked up 2 first round draft picks and lost no one.
We should be significantly better than last year where we made the semies.
Seen a few people pan them in the media.
Exactly ... the guys an a-hole

I think it's fair to argue that the team last year probably wasn't as good as a normal team that makes a semi final and you could say we got lucky making finals with a poor percentage and didn't win as many games as it normally takes but that's discrediting the numerous factors that went against us, injuries, no home games for nearly half a season while also lots of players in the best 22 having room to grow as players, Cogs being back to Cogs is HUGE. A fair bit of the media having us missing finals, but that's a disaster in my opinion and would be comfortably below my expectations of this team. Getting back to the semi's last year would be a good year but think we can go further.

The smart simple call is actually us going backwards - percentage is a better indication of results the following year than actual W/L is.

However injuries, etc, also affect matters and make it more complex.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All new 3 part series about AFL player managers has just been released.

Seems Bobby is one of the main stories, hope we come off better than we did in that other show.

The existence of this program suggests Colin young was just trying to big himself up with all his coqjuggling last trade period

The best way to deal with the Victorian media undermining is just ignore it.

Focus on things we can control, such as building a team that always plays for each other, and winning the next game.

Others can say what they like, we've got more important things on our mind.

Inside the Giants: How Leon, Toby, Cogs and Hird got set for 2022​

Reporter Josh Gabelich goes inside GWS HQ ahead of the 2022 season and dives into the big issues in Western Sydney
By Josh Gabelich - Just now
AA080222DB1527.jpg

GWS coach Leon Cameron is flanked by captains Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio and Josh Kelly at the 2022 GWS photo day. Picture: AFL Photos
ALMOST all the key storylines at Greater Western Sydney met at Killarney Vale Football Club on the NSW Central Coast, early in the pre-season. Smack bang in between Newcastle and Sydney, this was the perfect spot, a world away from AFL heartland. The Giants had made the decision to revert to a co-captaincy model, removing further speculation around what they were going to do. And they were all here for a two-day leadership camp.
Toby Greene and Josh Kelly had just been appointed co-captains – becoming the fifth and sixth permanent skippers of the Giants – joining Stephen Coniglio as leaders of the Giants after a tumultuous two years for the West Australian. The rest of the leadership group was inside the local footy club on Tuggerah Lake, including former captains Phil Davis and Callan Ward.
Senior coach Leon Cameron and head of football Jason McCartney watched on from afar but weren't central to proceedings. The Giants hierarchy were in Mark McVeigh's neck of the woods, working inside his junior football club. The senior assistant runs the leadership program at Greater Western Sydney alongside his former teammate James Hird, who had just accepted a part-time role as a leadership advisor at the Giants.
AFL'S 50 MVPs Cal Twomey makes the call
Greene is one of the biggest box-office stars in the game right now. But in front of the Essendon legend, Greene is simply the kid who wore the famous No.5 on his back. Cameron and McCartney grin when they watch the modern-day superstar and the superstar from yesteryear interact, especially in NSW where no one recognises either of them, including a security guard at Giants Stadium who didn't realise who Greene was when he tried to enter ahead of the AAMI Community Series game against Collingwood.
AA080222DB0269.jpg

GWS superstar Toby Greene at the club's 2022 photo day. Picture: AFL Photos
Everyone who was on the Central Coast will have a major say in how far Greater Western Sydney progresses in 2022. Some on-field, others off-field. Will the Giants return to a sixth finals series in the space of seven years? Can Cameron drag the game's youngest franchise back to the big dance? Time will tell.
AFL.com.au spent a few days in and around Greater Western Sydney ahead of the club's 11th season in the AFL. These are the major talking points to emerge from the club since the Giants' 2021 campaign ended in a semi-final loss to Geelong last September, building into the season-opener against crosstown rival Sydney on Saturday night in the first game at Accor Stadium since the 2016 qualifying final between the two sides.
GOING TO THE GAME? Get R1 tickets for Giants v Swans here

THE RETURN OF JAMES HIRD

The Giants don't attract too much attention during the pre-season, but the appointment of James Hird at the start of the year made a splash in Melbourne, given his standing in the game and the tumultuous series of events that saw him exit the game.
The Brownlow Medal winner spoke to the club last year when the Giants had to relocate to Melbourne due to the lockdown in Sydney, via his relationship with Mark McVeigh and his business connection to Matt de Boer. The plan right now is for Hird to spend time physically inside the club every two or three weeks and on as many game days as possible, but he will also have a presence every week virtually, running leadership group meetings from afar.
When three coaches went down with COVID-19 in January an opportunity presented to use Hird's expertise in a different way. Before long, Hird was up at GIANTS HQ for the week coaching main training sessions alongside McVeigh. It didn't attract any attention at Accor Stadium, but imagine if this happened on Punt Road or Olympic Boulevard?
hird-at-giants.jpg

James Hird in action at a GWS training session in January 2022. Picture: Phil Hillyard/GWS Giants
Hird isn't expected to have a whistle in his mouth again anytime soon. The Giants want to tap into the wealth of knowledge that saw him rise from pick No.79 in 1990 to Essendon's Team of the Century, navigating around a navicular stress fracture and a horrific facial injury when he collided with McVeigh at Subiaco, as well as his shrewd business mind and his ability to rebound after the adversity that engulfed him in the wake of the 2013 supplements saga at the Bombers.
The 49-year-old isn't a cookie-cutter leadership consultant. His life experience is what attracted the Giants in the first place. There is a belief that the leadership group is almost too nice. They are all good friends, but can they have confronting conversations? The club wants to challenge the status quo. And it is part of the reason why Hird is back in clubland, drawing on past experiences to help take the Giants to another level.
"James has always had a bit of an aura and I think the players have felt that right from the very start. He just brought an aura and a different take on leadership. You can go and get a leadership consultant in and it's very structured, but he just comes from not just a football background but a really good business background, so he's seen all facets of leadership," McVeigh told AFL.com.au.
"He's really tested their minds about leadership, he's wanting to hear more from them; he's demanding more from them; he's challenging them on developing themselves away from the game. He talks about world-class performance and how does that look on a day-to-day basis, which is pretty amazing. I think he challenges them about elite preparation, elite training, how do you achieve that every day? There are things around that for them to challenge themselves every day."

Lachlan Keeffe really is like the proverbial red wine. He’s getting better with age, according to GIANTS football boss Jason McCartney. Four weeks short of his 32nd birthday and in the veteran category on the GIANTS list, he will add a career ‘first’ to his football CV in Saturday’s season-opener against the Sydney Swans at Accor Stadium.

In his 14th season in the AFL system, Keeffe will play just the fourth round one game of his career and, for the first time, will play consecutive round one games. He will complete what McCartney labelled a ‘faultless’ rehabilitation following a knee reconstruction required after a heart-breaking and surprise mishap in the closing seconds of round eight last year.

Keeffe walked off GIANTS Stadium content with his football after the GIANTS had posted a heart-stopping two-point win over Essendon. And rightly so. Having signed a contract extension a week earlier that would see him at the club until at least the end of 2022, the 204cm Queenslander had played a key defensive role as the rejuvenated GIANTS squared the 2021 win/loss account at 4-4 after a poor 0-3 start. He’d played 21 games in a row – easily the longest streak of consecutive games of his 79-game career – and moreover had become an automatic selection for coach Leon Cameron highly regarded as a senior figure at the AFL’s youngest club.

But in the following 24 hours things went horribly wrong. Sent for scans by the GIANTS medical staff Keeffe was shocked and devastated to learn that he had torn the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. It was season over. The injury had happened 80 seconds from the final siren. Playing on the Bombers’ Cale Hooker, Keeffe had made a critical spoil in a marking contest on the lead 80 seconds from full-time before teammate Jacob Hopper kicked what turned out to be the clincher.

Hooker, coming off five goals against Carlton in Round 7, had averaged 11 possessions and three goals a game through the first seven rounds and was the third-highest goal-kicker in the competition. Keeffe had kept him to seven possessions and one goal, continuing an excellent start to a season in which he had assumed the mantle of the GIANTS’ No.1 lock-down tall defender.

more in the story

I agree with the assessment of the Giants as a “no brainer”.

However, I think the assessment of the Suns is far too casually negative.

Population size, growth and $$$ in Qld can definitely support two thriving AFL teams.

IMO a misstep that may have been made with Suns is to geographically limit the brand.

Queensland Suns may have been a more inclusive brand.

Either way, the Suns are coming and we will need to play at our best in R3.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

it’s funny, because at the time everyone said GC was a no-brainer and would have no problems growing and being competitive and retain its players while GWS would forever be a basket case and had no place in the league and nobody would stay for more than two years and would be the biggest white-elephant in the league’s history.

I find the casual rewriting of history to be…. amusing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back