News Giants in the Media

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
There’s a very pointed 5 minute discussion about Ken Hinkley, Leon and Hird starting at the 41:30 mark of this Fox podcast.

Well worth a listen.

IMG_6507.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cornes upset everyone laughed at his thought bubble last year and McClure disappointed we weren’t raided more.

This is the second article I've seen in the last day that's quoting Sam McClure and passing it off as if its insider knowledge

When all it is is merely speculation and his own opinion.

Here's the other I saw

Journalists quoting other journalist and passing that off as news is laughable. It's hardly an opinion piece, it's just gossip.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Listened to this. Quite a strange podcast IMO, interesting as a history lesson but all told in a very triumphant tone. As a club, we still have a long, long way to go.
A few things I was concerned about.
The constant discussion on not having a name besides Giants, then talking about dropping it when we are 10 or older years.

That s**t never works and is why all the Aussie clubs who do it bring it back again.
Says they aren’t Western Sydney focused.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Loving how determined this young man sounds to be one of the very best in the game.

"I think back to our West Coast game last year is one that I took great confidence out of. I know I can dominate this level and take that mindset into this year. It's been nice to put three weeks on the board of pretty good form, but it's a long year ahead, I'd like to continue this form as long as I can."

The word out of the Giants from the start of pre-season until the end of the AAMI Community Series was Green had dominated the summer. He went from a boy to a man over the course of a summer – a summer that provided little sun and plenty of rain – leaping up the depth chart to a point where the absence of Jacob Hopper has hardly attracted any attention externally just yet.

"I did have a really good pre-season and I was really happy with where I was at. I think going into my third season you should be improving your game each pre-season and each year until you physically start to deteriorate," he said. "I'm covering the ground a whole lot better, I'm moving really, really well. I feel really strong out there and really fit. I think I did have a really good pre-season and set myself up to launch into this season. I've also thrived on greater opportunity in the midfield, I'm playing more midfield minutes than I have through the first two seasons of my career and more game time in general. I think that's allowed me to impact the game more. I'm really, really enjoying that extra responsibility and going forward and trying to impact the scoreboard if I can."

"The mids at the minute – Petracca, Bontempelli, Cripps – those guys are the best midfielders in the comp and they all hit the scoreboard. If you want to be among the best midfielders in the comp that's something you have to do. That's something that I'm always continually trying to hit that scoreboard and impact, either as a forward or as a midfielder pushing forward."

One thing that is clear with Green is he doesn't want to be good; he wants to be great. Speaking via Zoom from Giants HQ, he uses the word 'dominate' several times across our 15-minute conversation. He doesn't have an E on the end of his surname like his superstar teammate Toby, but he has a similar level of confidence that suggests he is going to have a big future in this game. "I don't think you should be shy about that. Having said that, it is all part of playing your role and contributing to wins and that's the most important thing there is. But I think when you're playing your role, you can dominate the game. I think that's something I certainly can do," he said.

:thumbsu::rainbow:

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Loving how determined this young man sounds to be one of the very best in the game.

"I think back to our West Coast game last year is one that I took great confidence out of. I know I can dominate this level and take that mindset into this year. It's been nice to put three weeks on the board of pretty good form, but it's a long year ahead, I'd like to continue this form as long as I can."

The word out of the Giants from the start of pre-season until the end of the AAMI Community Series was Green had dominated the summer. He went from a boy to a man over the course of a summer – a summer that provided little sun and plenty of rain – leaping up the depth chart to a point where the absence of Jacob Hopper has hardly attracted any attention externally just yet.

"I did have a really good pre-season and I was really happy with where I was at. I think going into my third season you should be improving your game each pre-season and each year until you physically start to deteriorate," he said. "I'm covering the ground a whole lot better, I'm moving really, really well. I feel really strong out there and really fit. I think I did have a really good pre-season and set myself up to launch into this season. I've also thrived on greater opportunity in the midfield, I'm playing more midfield minutes than I have through the first two seasons of my career and more game time in general. I think that's allowed me to impact the game more. I'm really, really enjoying that extra responsibility and going forward and trying to impact the scoreboard if I can."

"The mids at the minute – Petracca, Bontempelli, Cripps – those guys are the best midfielders in the comp and they all hit the scoreboard. If you want to be among the best midfielders in the comp that's something you have to do. That's something that I'm always continually trying to hit that scoreboard and impact, either as a forward or as a midfielder pushing forward."

One thing that is clear with Green is he doesn't want to be good; he wants to be great. Speaking via Zoom from Giants HQ, he uses the word 'dominate' several times across our 15-minute conversation. He doesn't have an E on the end of his surname like his superstar teammate Toby, but he has a similar level of confidence that suggests he is going to have a big future in this game. "I don't think you should be shy about that. Having said that, it is all part of playing your role and contributing to wins and that's the most important thing there is. But I think when you're playing your role, you can dominate the game. I think that's something I certainly can do," he said.

:thumbsu::rainbow:
He's someone I'd be throwing a 5+ year deal in front of, he's a total freak and should be one of the core pieces for the second generation of Giants footy

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

THE GIANTS HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY’RE DOING WITH THEIR WINGMEN

"So, in Round Two, Leon Cameron played Josh Kelly on the wing.

Wanna know what he did?

Well, he ran forward, kicked two goals, had 26 touches and had eight score involvements. Yeah, he was thrown into the middle here and there, but he spent a large portion of the game on the outside, where his skills and hard run gave the Giants tremendous value.

The same bloke has also played Lachie Whitfield off half-back this season, and most of last year for that matter, despite the fact that Whitfield is one of the best two-way runners in the game and when left in space, can cut a team to ribbons. Of course, he can do that from half-back as well, so I understand the thinking, but it seems the Giants are trading off attack or some pretty mediocre defence. Let’s face it, Lachie is never going to be a contender in any defensive player of the year awards, is he?

So, we’ve learnt what they’re not doing – what are they actually doing with the wing positions in Sydney’s west?

This week just past, Xavier O’Halloran was on one wing, whilst Harry Perryman moved back to the opposite wing after a TWO YEAR break from the role. Add in players like Lachie Ash (who stunk up the role in the first two weeks), Daniel Lloyd, Tanner Bruhn, and even Jake Riccardi, and you have a rotational system that just does not get the best out of any of the players occupying the role.

Why is Leon Cameron so insistent that a reliable player in this role is not all that important?

GWS have the capacity to have two of the top five wingers in the business in the position – Kelly and Whitfield . However, due to what could be uncertainty from Cameron, or some type of rotation he employs, no player has had the opportunity to settle into the role and as a result, none have been able to excel.

Perhaps it is time he made a decision about who plays where and bloody well stuck to it for longer than a fortnight?"

Ash really doesn't seem suited for a wing role, would be happy to flip him and Whitfield and have Ash move down to half back where he's played his best footy, while having some tagging duties. XO has been alright on the wing but not super impressive, think structually it works best to have Kelly being the main oppositie winger he wouldn't be there exclusively but most of his time would be outside with a bit of time inside then that allows Perryman, Ash and Cumming to be the distributors off half back.

The core inside midfield rotation probably looks something like this
Cogs
Green
Hopper
Taranto
Bruhn

Kelly
Ash
Ward

Last edited:

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Not just about us but we are there.

An interesting and fair piece with some very good dynamic graphs.

For me the piece that is missing is the uniquely weird nature of AFL media coverage.

In the EPL, you get fairly balanced coverage by private networks from London of Liverpool, Manchester and London-based teams, complemented by local papers and radio in each sub-market.

In the US, ditto for NFL, MBL and NBA teams.

Can you imagine commentators broadcasting Man City vs Liverpool with the bias Ch7 broadcasts us playing the Tigers?

It would be howled down as an amateur embarrassment that is damaging the game.

Fox is only a bit better, and is still filled with VFL dinosaurs like Gary Lyon who should have been retired last decade.

Wait I hear you say, the AFL actually funds it’s own media unit and website.

So why not fund high profile analysts across all the major markets? Instead we get Damian Barrett telling us daily that Gil is a wonderful human being like a parody of Nth Korean state media.

The reason this persists is that it personally benefits an VFL mates club that can’t compete on merit outside of Victoria.

Until it changes though, the AFL will struggle to grow as a national sport.

It’s all very well to add teams in TAS and NT, but they’ll never be allowed media space by VFL HQ and Ch7/Fox.

If the AFL had a competent CEO and Board it would force these media coverage changes as part of its new TV rights deal.

Would be fascinating to see what Amazon might do if they were to buy part of the match rights.

Further, it would definitely bring more media cash into the game and - if there are ever to be international viewers - only an entity like Amazon could deliver it.

But instead the VFL cartel deliberately shuts out new media players and continues to serve up ‘BT from the ‘G’ like reruns of Benny Hill for fear of the Melbourne mates club losing control.

The game’s media is culturally trapped in a parody of 20th century parochial Melbourne, and VFL HQ constantly reinforces that strategic flaw at the expense of the future of the game.

Last edited:

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I got a heads up on this TV show from a Swans supporter and tracked down this Amazon TV episode (released this week I believe).

Anyone is entitled to buy a $15-20M house, but doing so on a reality TV show may not be a great idea.

This sort of media coverage does the Board and Club few favours when it’s in crisis.

Note - Screenshot is of the real estate agent.

IMG_6665.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
I got a heads up on this TV show from a Swans supporter and tracked down the Amazon episode (released this week I believe).

Anyone is entitled to buy a $15-20M house, but doing so on a reality TV show may not be a great idea.

This sort of media coverage does the Board and Club few favours when it’s in crisis.

Note - Screenshot is of the real estate agent.

View attachment 1373774

We do love to shoot our selves in the foot.

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
The never ending jihad against TFG by VFL HQ continues.

Gil’s good ‘ole boys would never, ever target a Captain at another club the way his personal media unit goes after TFG every single week.

It’s a complete disgrace.

IMG_6667.JPG

Back