News Giants in the Media

ClockworkOrange

Club Legend
Jan 30, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
VFL HQ know the Toby Tax is real and vindictive.

We’re being gaslit by Gil and his henchmen.

This video is irrefutable proof.

IMG_6722.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Powkid

Senior List
Jul 31, 2012
Northern Beaches
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, Carlton
100% there is a TFG tax! In fact there is a tax on any of our players when it comes to the AFL match review.
Any other player gets half that. The media don’t help, they are out to sell a story on Toby as the villain. Without reading the article, I am shocked that Sam Landsberger wrote anything positive about us! Don’t get me started on Gerard Whately, he crucified Toby and his character for days.

I would love nothing more than on Friday for Toby to go out and kick a big bag to stick right up em.

In relation to the Tom Hawkins staging incident, and the Trent Cotchen kick, Toby would’ve copped weeks for them. And btw Tex Walker was on the money when he said if that shoe was on the other foot. It is still a VFL boys club being run down there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
100% there is a TFG tax! In fact there is a tax on any of our players when it comes to the AFL match review.
Any other player gets half that. The media don’t help, they are out to sell a story on Toby as the villain. Without reading the article, I am shocked that Sam Landsberger wrote anything positive about us! Don’t get me started on Gerard Whately, he crucified Toby and his character for days.

I would love nothing more than on Friday for Toby to go out and kick a big bag to stick right up em.

In relation to the Tom Hawkins staging incident, and the Trent Cotchen kick, Toby would’ve copped weeks for them. And btw Tex Walker was on the money when he said if that shoe was on the other foot. It is still a VFL boys club being run down there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Even bucks agreed with Tex which was a surprise. Shows that behind closed doors it’s prob what most clubs believe

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

8. Tom Green (GWS)​

2021 rating points: 9.7

2022 rating points: 16

Improvement: +6.3

Core stats:

2021:
19.9 disposals, 9.9 contested possessions, 4.2 clearances, 2.9 tackles

2022: 27.5 disposals, 14.9 contested possessions, 6.9 clearances, 5.0 tackles

Hawk’s critics silenced; star’s stunning bounce back: AFL’s 10 biggest risers​

5. TOM GREEN (GWS GIANTS)

Matches rated:
29 AFL Standing:130 Season Start: 162 Change: +162 (+55%)

There aren’t many more promising players in the entire AFL than Green. After playing just six games in his rookie season, Green showed improvement in year two before emerging as a genuine midfield star this season to push some of the Giants’ most trusty on-ballers into lesser roles. Making the biggest overall ratings jump in 2022 of anyone on this list, Green is now a genuinely elite midfielder, averaging 27.4 disposals per game, 4.7 tackles and 6.6 clearances while ranking fourth in the competition in contested possessions.

8. ISAAC CUMING (GWS GIANTS)

Matches rated:
33 AFL Standing97 Season Start: 197 Change: +100 (+75%)

Another one who enjoyed his true breakout season in 2021 — finishing equal-sixth in the club’s best and fairest — Cumming has consolidated himself as a key cog of the Giants’ back six. He’s continued his hot form in 2022, averaging a career-best 24.8 disposals to go with 5.8 marks while playing with more of an attacking presence to rank sixth in the AFL in rebound 50s (7.2 per game).

gee whiz giant

All Australian
Mar 3, 2014
CBR
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
the Toffees, the Bays.
Did anyone else see these talking points?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 9.04.44 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 9.04.44 am.png
    995.9 KB · Views: 50

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I thought that was really weird, considering we don't really need fixing I think we're actually set up quite well. Most of that was rubbish and I really disagree on their critiscm of our recruiting over recent years, the team has young talent across every line with senior players contributing at a high level now.

This is the most insulting bit of media in relation to the Giants ever.

I think they have done and are doing a terrific job in establishing a fantastic club and building the fan base (and game in general) from the bottom up.

The crowds aren't big, but the game is growing. Pre Giants there was virtually no Aussie rules played here. Now there are a number of clubs shooting up, there are Aus Kick programs around and lots of kids giving it a go. It will take a generation to build a fan base, but once it happens it will be a real fan base that will be sticky.

As I said in the members thread, I know a number of people who are Giants supporters because they are Western Sydney and are part of our community (which they do an excellent job of doing), over time we will build an excellent casual fan base (much like the swans) who are more fans of Western Sydney than the AFL. Moving away from that is folly.

On field we have been successful and are still placed strongly.

There is really no need to fix the Giants at all, they are developing swimmingly for both the medium and long term.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The 'no more role players' has me scratching my head. Most of the time there's criticism that we have too many stars, and need more role players.

I didn't see the segment so I don't know the discussions they actually had, but it sounds like more VFL media rubbish.

You'd think we'd struggled for a decade watching that report.
We have made 6 of the last 7 finals and have a stack of young talent on the list.
They talk about our lack of depth, we have had a horrendous injury run for 5 consecutive years and still made finals.

Very uninformed if you ask me.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Thanks Orange crush.

On that viewing, Hutchy has NFI. As least some of the other panel members tried to shine some correct light on it.

The name. Just making it "the Giants" is a bit silly to me; but we advertise so heavily with the "Giants" moniker that his argument is irrelevant. He's coming from a Melbourne-centric view where the clubs are named for suburbs; the interstate expansion was still around an identifiable area for most (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide) ... West Coast is a bit of a monstrosity too if you ask me, but there's no real issue because they had ready-made fans. Port Adelaide was a ready-made club with 150 years of tradition.

Location. Make the players live in western Sydney suburbs - is he kidding?

Match day experience I agree with - there's no real zing to it. (Have said that on many feedback forms ... and nothing changes!)

Trade mids. So his point was a lot of $ wrapped up in Cogs, Kelly, Toby & Whitfield; so he suggested trade Whitfield. I'd suggest he knows nothing about the team dynamics if he thinks that will work!

He didn't explain the "poor recruiting" aspect - just stated it was poor. In what way? The guys who abandoned us after just 2 years? Caro chimed in about the cost of players in Sydney, needing to pay more, and that we got screwed over COLA when Buddy went to Swans, which wasn't our fault. He made a comment about "9 talls running around with other clubs", but someone else pointed out only Jezza mattered among those and Kano said we'd done as much as we could to keep him by matching.

The "no more role players & top-ups" translated into "no more list cloggers", which he commented as Keeffe, Deledio, Griffin, Stevie J ... well there's some yes and some no there. Someone else commented that the $ paid for the top players translates into less $ for the depth players. Keeffe is realistically our 4th tall after Taylor, Davis & Buckley and before Stein, with Fleeton & Aleer our developing talls. He's been out there due to injuries. Funnily enough, he didn't mention our medical department as an issue.

Orange crush

Premiership Player
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Thanks Orange crush.

On that viewing, Hutchy has NFI. As least some of the other panel members tried to shine some correct light on it.

The name. Just making it "the Giants" is a bit silly to me; but we advertise so heavily with the "Giants" moniker that his argument is irrelevant. He's coming from a Melbourne-centric view where the clubs are named for suburbs; the interstate expansion was still around an identifiable area for most (Brisbane, Gold Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide) ... West Coast is a bit of a monstrosity too if you ask me, but there's no real issue because they had ready-made fans. Port Adelaide was a ready-made club with 150 years of tradition.

Location. Make the players live in western Sydney suburbs - is he kidding?

Match day experience I agree with - there's no real zing to it. (Have said that on many feedback forms ... and nothing changes!)

Trade mids. So his point was a lot of $ wrapped up in Cogs, Kelly, Toby & Whitfield; so he suggested trade Whitfield. I'd suggest he knows nothing about the team dynamics if he thinks that will work!

He didn't explain the "poor recruiting" aspect - just stated it was poor. In what way? The guys who abandoned us after just 2 years? Caro chimed in about the cost of players in Sydney, needing to pay more, and that we got screwed over COLA when Buddy went to Swans, which wasn't our fault. He made a comment about "9 talls running around with other clubs", but someone else pointed out only Jezza mattered among those and Kano said we'd done as much as we could to keep him by matching.

The "no more role players & top-ups" translated into "no more list cloggers", which he commented as Keeffe, Deledio, Griffin, Stevie J ... well there's no yes and some no there. Someone else commented that the $ paid for the top players translates into less $ for the depth players. Keeffe is realistically our 4th tall after Taylor, Davis & Buckley and before Stein, with Fleeton & Aleer our developing talls. He's been out there due to injuries. Funnily enough, he didn't mention our medical department as an issue.
It was the worst take I’ve seen .... head scratching stuff

Back