News Giants in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m happy for the clowns in VFL media to continue to incorrectly analyse our club.

It’s in our club’s interest to be underestimated by our VFL opponents.

A more cynical read is that the VFL is trying to avoid highlighting the blindingly obvious need for COLA - but I believe we will get it regardless of the VFL media.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good to hear McVeigh talk about the importance of the good performance against Brisbane, seems like he really values the process of how they play and not just the win or loss.

Turns out it's AFLW related, I don't follow the W side of things but it seems like someone's re-signed.

Interesting to see we are one of the clubs that are somewhat supportive of a Tassie team and of the teams outside of Victoria only Swans and Suns are against it

Outside of Victoria, Tasmania appears to have significant support from the West Australian and South Australian teams along with GWS and Brisbane. Geelong, Richmond, Carlton, the Western Bulldogs, St Kilda and Essendon all appear either cautiously or more strongly supportive.

3. Stop looking for the All-Australian centre half-back

There's still five weeks remaining and a lot to play out, but if the Therabody AFL All-Australian team was picked now, Giant Sam Taylor should be a lock in one key defensive post. Yes, Steven May, Jacob Weitering and James Sicily – among others – have great claims, but Taylor added some more scalps to his resume against Brisbane on Saturday. The young Giant racked up a whopping 15 intercept possessions as an avalanche of ball came in the direction of him and opponents Eric Hipwood and Joe Daniher during the club's loss to Brisbane. In the air and on the ground, Taylor can win the ball back from any position and is among the league leaders in intercept possessions and contested one-on-one wins. – Michael Whiting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Giants have ruled out taking home games into enemy territory at the SCG, but Greater Western Sydney chief executive Dave Matthews admits the club has major work to do over the summer to boost their dwindling crowd numbers.
Matthews also revealed the Giants were close to inking another long-term deal to bring three AFL games a year to Canberra, in addition to an AFLW contract. The club’s original 10-year deal with the ACT government, worth $23 million, has expired. “We see a lot of merit in going again, and putting roots down even stronger with another 10-year deal,” he said.

Pretty much sums up where it’s at.
Yes, a balanced article that doesn't bash us, but is a realistic take on where things are.
This is an opportunity to address the issues before it becomes terminal.
Hopefully the blunders from our board and the apathy from AFL HQ are apparent.

I agree that there's some balance there, but while identifying some of the issues, I don't think Caro puts forward any worthwhile suggestions to help solve the problems. And the closing point seems to support the "admittedly in casual conversations" thought of taking Giants' games to the SCG. If VFL House does that, they'll drive a further stake into the heart of trying to win over western Sydney.

As she points out, this was a generational effort to take ground in western Sydney and build from there. The first decade made some solid ground, albeit with several missteps and backwards steps from both VFL House and the club. The two years of COVID were a very unfortunate end to that first decade that set us back a significant way, as GWS hadn't bedded down. This year's terrible weather didn't help, and COVID aspects still lingered (my family missed going to Sydney for a couple of games and missed a Canberra game due to being in COVID isolation), which has reduced attendances and stopped the growth of people becoming accustomed to turning up to games.

It also needs to be understood that Sydney crowds are not the same as Melbourne and Brisbane crows. Melbourne clubs get high numbers for their crowds, and the Broncos regularly get mid 20s to 30,000 crowds. Sydney club crowds are 12 to 20,000 normally. So, I we can average in that region, we're similar to an NRL club. Clearly, there's more eyes watching on TV. Canberra crowds are not that much different, and split across league and union in a relatively small market.

The biggest bugbear for me is that VFL House has plonked down the two clubs (us & Suns) in non-traditional territory, and then astonishingly thought that was it - just let them go by themselves. They said it was a generational effort - but then put in very little effort past about year 2 or 3. Indeed, started taking potshots at us, removing support mechanisms (early and sudden removal of the list concessions, removal of COLA) at the behest of the VFL clubs. This experiment can still fail - look at the number of failed teams across the historical Gold Coast sporting landscape as a point of reference - if they don't pull their finger out and fix the structural deficiencies.

I agree that there's some balance there, but while identifying some of the issues, I don't think Caro puts forward any worthwhile suggestions to help solve the problems. And the closing point seems to support the "admittedly in casual conversations" thought of taking Giants' games to the SCG. If VFL House does that, they'll drive a further stake into the heart of trying to win over western Sydney.

As she points out, this was a generational effort to take ground in western Sydney and build from there. The first decade made some solid ground, albeit with several missteps and backwards steps from both VFL House and the club. The two years of COVID were a very unfortunate end to that first decade that set us back a significant way, as GWS hadn't bedded down. This year's terrible weather didn't help, and COVID aspects still lingered (my family missed going to Sydney for a couple of games and missed a Canberra game due to being in COVID isolation), which has reduced attendances and stopped the growth of people becoming accustomed to turning up to games.

It also needs to be understood that Sydney crowds are not the same as Melbourne and Brisbane crows. Melbourne clubs get high numbers for their crowds, and the Broncos regularly get mid 20s to 30,000 crowds. Sydney club crowds are 12 to 20,000 normally. So, I we can average in that region, we're similar to an NRL club. Clearly, there's more eyes watching on TV. Canberra crowds are not that much different, and split across league and union in a relatively small market.

The biggest bugbear for me is that VFL House has plonked down the two clubs (us & Suns) in non-traditional territory, and then astonishingly thought that was it - just let them go by themselves. They said it was a generational effort - but then put in very little effort past about year 2 or 3. Indeed, started taking potshots at us, removing support mechanisms (early and sudden removal of the list concessions, removal of COLA) at the behest of the VFL clubs. This experiment can still fail - look at the number of failed teams across the historical Gold Coast sporting landscape as a point of reference - if they don't pull their finger out and fix the structural deficiencies.
And AFL House knee jerk reactions to the big club presidents and their lackey’s in the media. The removal of COLA when it was the Swans who were deemed to be misusing it, the over-punishment of the club for Whitfield, the restructure of the Academy boundary (Eddie) the Todd Marshall farce.

There are multiple examples. They are like a deadbeat dad.

And AFL House knee jerk reactions to the big club presidents and their lackey’s in the media. The removal of COLA when it was the Swans who were deemed to be misusing it, the over-punishment of the club for Whitfield, the restructure of the Academy boundary (Eddie) the Todd Marshall farce.

There are multiple examples. They are like a deadbeat dad.
Yes, those are some of the backwards steps VFL House took.

COLA was a classic. Buddy would have helped move GWS forward if he landed here - not just in the goals kicked, but in recognition. While I don't agree with what VFL House did to punish Swans, the absolute double stupidity was to remove Giants' COLA to make it harder (indeed, I'd say almost impossible) for us to recruit interstaters to come here - in fact, it has made it impossible for us to keep our interstate draftees.

So, while people laud Swans - one of the big factors for them has been the goal scoring ability of Buddy (except for his 10-game year, he's kicked between 47 & 81 goals each year) - which Swans gained from an equalisation mechanism taken away from us!!

Yes, those are some of the backwards steps VFL House took.

COLA was a classic. Buddy would have helped move GWS forward if he landed here - not just in the goals kicked, but in recognition. While I don't agree with what VFL House did to punish Swans, the absolute double stupidity was to remove Giants' COLA to make it harder (indeed, I'd say almost impossible) for us to recruit interstaters to come here - in fact, it has made it impossible for us to keep our interstate draftees.

So, while people laud Swans - one of the big factors for them has been the goal scoring ability of Buddy (except for his 10-game year, he's kicked between 47 & 81 goals each year) - which Swans gained from an equalisation mechanism taken away from us!!
There was a period there when we started to become a strong side when McCarthyism set in.

Everyone become incredibly scared and nervous that they had created a Frankenstein type monster that was going to win every flag.

Off course, with a salary cap that was never ever going to happen but it didn’t stop them.

The AFL in many ways is so poorly run. It’s just lucky it’s a good product and it’s competition is often managed even more poorly.

They put GWS and Gold Coast into the competition to shore up areas of population growth and to buffer TV Rights in QLD and NSW.

It’s just like AFLW. In itself a wonderful idea and potentially an amazing sport. But what do the AFL do? Just like a C grade journalist that has to be first rather than accurate they rush the growth of the competition, create too many teams when there is nowhere near enough talent and now have a truly horrible and cringeworthy sport to watch. Yay you were first!! Good job dickheads.

GWS is by the AFL’s own admission a 20 to 30 year project. It takes that long to get new fans invested and old enough to contribute. But like the dodgy builder that the AFL is they do a half arsed job. They keep things just strong enough from being condemned but do nothing that is lasting or will leave legacy or hope.

If the AFL was a parent you would be calling Child Protective Services, they are the chardonnay sipping negligent mum that forgets to pick up her kids from school.

They are like a marionette controlled by the wealthy clubs. We don’t have a hope in hell unless there is a massive change at city hall and they start understanding the enormous unfairness the two expansion clubs face.

Perhaps when they finally rubber stamp the next basket case in waiting (Tassie) their attention may finally be drawn in our direction? Not holding my breath for this to happen though!

Last edited:
There was a period there when we started to become a strong side when McCarthyism set in.

Everyone become incredibly scared and nervous that they had created a Frankenstein type monster that was going to win every flag.

Off course, with a salary cap that was never ever going to happen but it didn’t stop them.

The AFL in many ways is so poorly run. It’s just lucky it’s a good product and it’s competition is often managed even more poorly.

They put GWS and Gold Coast into the competition to shore up areas of population growth and to buffer TV Rights in QLD and NSW.

It’s just like AFLW. In itself a wonderful idea and potentially an amazing sport. But what do the AFL do? Just like a C grade journalist that has to be first rather than accurate they rush the growth of the competition, create too many teams when there is nowhere near enough talent and now have a truly horrible and cringeworthy sport to watch. Yay you were first!! Good job dickheads.

GWS is by the AFL’s own admission a 20 to 30 year project. It takes that long to get new fans invested and old enough to contribute. But like the dodgy builder that the AFL is they do a half arsed job. They keep things just strong enough from being condemned but do nothing that is lasting or will leave legacy or hope.

If the AFL was a parent you would be calling Child Protective Services, they are the chardonnay sipping negligent mum that forgets to pick up her kids from school.

They are like a marionette controlled by the wealthy clubs. We don’t have a hope in hell unless there is a massive change at city hall and they start understanding the enormous unfairness the two expansion clubs face.

Perhaps when they finally rubber stamp the next basket case in waiting (Tassie) their attention may finally be drawn in our direction? Not holding my breath for this to happen though!
AtG on fire!!!

45,608 showed up at the SCG for tonight's PF. The capacity of the ground is supposed to be 48,000.

If the Swans can't sell-out a PF against Collingwood it puts our struggles into perspective.

45,608 showed up at the SCG for tonight's PF. The capacity of the ground is supposed to be 48,000.

If the Swans can't sell-out a PF against Collingwood it puts our struggles into perspective.
Don't believe ground capacities.

It was a sell out. Attendance doesn't meet it because of ground members not showing, etc. Same at Brisbane with the Gabba Trust who are predominatly interested in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back