Giants Pre-season for 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic to see the club open its doors to the new players families on the weekend

1579480808828.png

bl4ke

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hey lads, how is Ward tracking for round 1?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Hey lads, how is Ward tracking for round 1?
He's progressing OK, but the vibe coming from the club (as I read it) is that they're not going to rush him for round 1, they'd prefer to ensure he's absolutely good to go for the season. With Cogs certainly back, Taranto & Hopper performing last year, and (fingers crossed) a healthy list at this point in time, I'm very comfortable if Cal takes his time.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Sorry to intrigue for fantasy purposes, any word on how Whitfield is going after his ankle surgery?
First official comment from the Giants on Whitfield from today's article - ''Lachie Whitfield's ankle reconstruction was the only major surgery for the Giants after a bruising September campaign, but he has returned to main training through January and February. '' I expect that means he'll be up for the pre-season games and fine for round 1.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
afl.com.au/news/373155/ward-to-miss-first-month-but-gws-midfield-still-stacked

Cal Ward - round 4 likely
Josh Kelly - pain free & no issues that he's suffered in previous years (groin, knee)
Lachie Whitfield - back with main training in January & February
Toby Greene - A knee complaint discovered during off-season running will rule Toby Greene out of contention for Victorian selection in the State of Origin Bushfire Relief game. However, the star forward has completed the bulk of training since Christmas and will take part in the Marsh Community Series. (Hopefully not another NY hotel wall injury!)

"We've actually had a better pre-season than the last three years because of numbers on the track, probably averaging 38-41 and fluctuating between that," Cameron said.

With Ward to miss, the door will be ajar for 2018 first-round picks Jye Caldwell, Jackson Hately and Xavier O'Halloran to push their case for round one alongside 2019 Academy star Tom Green.

Adam Tomlinson's departure for Melbourne has also vacated a wing role that will be hotly contested among those four youngsters, as well as Harry Perryman, Nick Shipley and Adam Kennedy. Cameron said speedy half-back Lachie Ash who, "like Green, is already built like a man" has put his name up as a contender for round one selection.

Been pretty quiet from the club lately, but I see that as a good thing: no hubris, just quiet determination. Good to see some youngsters scrapping for spots.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Can't wait to go !
Squads announced tomorrow

It’s ridiculous.
The victorians who are over the moon for this would be up in arms if it wasn’t the Big V but All Stars South.
We have to give up 3 players in the beginning and now 5?
With our injury history I’m going to be in the edge of my seat and not because of the scores.
Will be interesting to see what clubs like the Tigers and Collingwood throw up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s ridiculous.
The victorians who are over the moon for this would be up in arms if it wasn’t the Big V but All Stars South.
We have to give up 3 players in the beginning and now 5?
With our injury history I’m going to be in the edge of my seat and not because of the scores.
Will be interesting to see what clubs like the Tigers and Collingwood throw up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I would be surprised if Cogs, Whitfield get nominated by the Giants unless they are 100%

With our pre-season game at Rooty Hill the following day, it will ensure the likes of Hately, Caldwell, Green etc will have a fair crack in the middle.
If Haynes and Whitfield are in Melb, Ash and Cumming's etc will get a big look in the backs

If Sydney throws us a storm on the 29th, i rather the likes of Jezza, Haynes etc play a Exhibition match in Melb then be at Rooty Hill and our rookies and players fighting for spots have the scrap there

It will be the 2nd pre-season game at Wagga where things will heat up against Richmond

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BarryAglett

7th Round Draft Pick
Sep 24, 2014
Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
I heard that Nick Shipley is tearing it up at training. Came back to the club in top shape and has been sharp with his skills.
Making the NEAFL team of the year seems to have given him belief. Still only 20 and the classic "good size" at 6'2".

A bit of a forgotten man, but could be RD1 smokey if any blokes get niggles in the Marsh Community series.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
By the reports coming in now the list looks to be in good health and with another long campaign around the corner I am sure plenty will see opportunities during the season
From the intra club video on the website today good to see Greene and Kelly and I think I saw Whitfield which from the last few years they have been missing for some of the pre seasons
The other one that it will be interesting to track is Corr and if anyone watches the video let me know if you spot him in the intra club hitout
Will be interesting to see who lines up in the Bushfire relief game and I can imagine it will be a great spectacle and hoping for no injuries to any of the players and looking forward to the game the next day which will be interesting to see the line up and any interesting changes

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The Age's take on likely selections - presumably leaked so I'd believe this ...

Moore jnr will be one of five Magpies to be named across the two squads on Tuesday, with Pies captain Scott Pendlebury, midfield dynamo Steele Sidebottom, South Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy and Tasmanian Jeremy Howe also set to feature.

Richmond will have six representatives in the squads, with forward guns Tom Lynch and Jack Riewoldt joining Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin.

Greater Western Sydney, the 2019 runner-up, will have five players across the squads, including All-Stars Phil Davis and Stephen Coniglio, along with Victorians Josh Kelly, Lachie Whitfield and Jeremy Cameron. Toby Greene is unlikely to play because of a minor knee injury, while rebounding defender Zac Williams is set to miss it as his pre-season load is managed.

The Lions will be heavily represented in the bushfire relief charity match, with Martin set to be one of five Brisbane players named on Tuesday. With superstar big man Max Gawn recovering from a knee injury, Martin will be part of the Victorian ruck stocks. Lions teammates Lachie Neale (South Australia), and Queenslanders Charlie Cameron, Harris Andrews and Dayne Zorko will all feature in the All-Stars squad coached by Sydney's John Longmire.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...fl-bushfire-charity-game-20200110-p53qek.html
West Coast have deemed West Australian midfield star Kelly unavailable for the clash as he gears up for his first season with the club after being traded from Geelong.
All 18 clubs must be represented across the squads and sources have told The Age three clubs – Fremantle, Melbourne and Gold Coast – have only one player selected for the match at Marvel Stadium, which will be preceded by a Dees-Pies AFLW clash.

Full article - https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...o-feature-in-big-v-squad-20200217-p541oj.html

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
The other one that it will be interesting to track is Corr and if anyone watches the video let me know if you spot him in the intra club hitout
18 sec mark - solo jog across the screen. Might also be him at the 50sec mark - in the background, white singlet, marking HH I think (but hard to tell from the distance).

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS

9.30 at lakeside oval if any are planning to head down it would be good to hear who is on the field and insights to the game

I heard that Nick Shipley is tearing it up at training. Came back to the club in top shape and has been sharp with his skills.
Making the NEAFL team of the year seems to have given him belief. Still only 20 and the classic "good size" at 6'2".

A bit of a forgotten man, but could be RD1 smokey if any blokes get niggles in the Marsh Community series.
Hopefully get to see a bit of Shipley, O'Hallaran, Caldwell, Hately and Green in the Marsh series - all waiting by for their chance.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

JYE CALDWELL (GWS GIANTS) – If you speak to any GWS player about their pre-season, there’s one common theme. And that is the high praise for 19-year-old Caldwell. The midfielder played two games last season and is flying on the track. The Giants have one of the best stocked onball brigades. However, if Caldwell continues his fine work during the Marsh Community Series, Leon Cameron will find it very hard to leave him out of the side for Round 1.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I think the key for the 2nd year players and getting game time will be the ability to play other positions and although they played a bit last year I still feel it is too early to see that but they will need to take the opportunity and with Ward missing the 1st month a mid spot is there for the taking but a lot of competition for that spot
As well as the 3 mentioned Shipley, Green and Ash will be fighting it out and although Ash is not a mid he could push Williams up the ground or spend time on a wing

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Not holding out hope for much from Sheridan after last years issues and a repeat already this season from media reports just mentioning the word Calf with him
Yep he's done another calf. His body sounds as bad as Deledio's unfortunately. Interesting that the club rookied him again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back