Expansion Giants seek US game for points

Remove this Banner Ad

I have wondered why the afl havent pursued the US market more.

The sport is at least somewhat known there, they speak our language.

China is too distant culturally and socially from Australia for footy to get a toehold.

All sports. I visited syracuse in upstate new york in 2012, and they had a cricket field, with grandstand (similar set up to your local VFL ground)
That's surprising to me. What sports use an oval shaped field other than afl and cricket?

That's surprising to me. What sports use an oval shaped field other than afl and cricket?

cricket is played in the USA. in fact, the first international game was between USA and Canada (about 10 yrs before the first official game). these days its still played, but only at a social and ameture level.

As for the use of oval fields, its more of a secondary field for a lot of colleges. with so much sport on other fields, teams are often pushed to secondary venues for training

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We already tried this with the Foster's Cup Exhibition matches that were played in the late 80's and early 90's. The game was played on NFL turf and for the most part, the crowd enjoyed the sport.

The game wouldn't catch on today as the bump is dead along with the physicality and that is what caught the eye for NFL fans and Americans in general.

China is too distant culturally and socially from Australia for footy to get a toehold.

They have pursued it..many times.

But the simple fact is that Americans are single minded about their 3 core sporting loves of NFL, baseball and basketball.

Another exhibition game over there is a pointless waste of money and would serve absolutely no purpose.

Our game is too confusing to understand.

We can’t even work out wtf is going on half the time.

It creates about as much excitement as Japan holding sumo matches here to generate some kind of interest.

A fleeting moment that passes by.

The clubs and the AFL should be ploughing every dollar available back into promotions aimed at their core base and stop wasting money on fruitless pursuits on audiences who have no ####ing idea wtf they’re watching.

Couldn’t see it. I reckon 9-10 hours to China would be hell for AFL footballers, 15-16 hours would be a nightmare.

China isn't about growing the game. China is about hosting rich Chinese businessmen at an event and shaking them down for sponsorship dollars.

America *should* work, but the problem is (like the VFL before) there is little investment by the AFL before or after the event to grow the game.

Meeting some reps at AFL headquarters once confirmed what I always felt about them - they know how to do the novelity factor, but little else.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back