Preview Giants v Sydney Swans - Sunday 1:10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks in a row we’ve created more scoring shots than the opposition but due to our delivery we aren’t able to capitalise. Forward line was too short in the first half. Especially with Reid in the ruck. Hayward and Heeney as the key forwards were always going to be undersized. McDonald provided an instant tall target that could stretch the Giants in the second half.

Great signs, though. We’re a competent forward line away from being a finals team.

Logan should get plenty of opportunities to score throughout the years with Campbell, Blakey, Rowbottom and Dawson firing them in. Just need another tall avenue to goal (Paddy).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hewett going to play on your Shorts and Daniels all year and try and hurt them by foot the other way

Rampe will have Mills spot

Hewett & Mills were playing each other's roles yesterday and I wasn't a fan. Fix it ASAP please Horse.

Agree. Mills the mid I'm not ready to s**t can just yet. Mills the the intercepting courageous mid I'm sold on. One of the best in the AFL Imo. George on the HB line like a fish out of water. George the mid gives you a punchers chance of winning clearance from stoppages which at this stage our young mids are still learning their craft.

Agree. Mills the mid I'm not ready to sh*t can just yet. Mills the the intercepting courageous mid I'm sold on. One of the best in the AFL Imo. George on the HB line like a fish out of water. George the mid gives you a punchers chance of winning clearance from stoppages which at this stage our young mids are still learning their craft.

Mills the intercepting courageous mid won't be doing much courageous intercepting if he's just standing up in tackles getting pointless handballs away or bombing it out of the centre square. I just don't think his best attributes like his marking, his reading of the play, his directing etc are suited to being at the coalface in constant congestion. I worry it stalls his progression as that intercepting defender if he's wasting time adding new aspects to his game, which could all be for nothing if he doesn't work out there anyway. Not to mention I think he's taking midfield time away from some younger, better prospects.

Hewett's clearance and stoppage work is quality. He doesn't try to do too much like some of the younger, more Exciting™ mids (so therefore he is boring and average etc), but he nearly always does the right thing. He reminds me of Edwards and Lambert at Richmond. We need more guys in the guts who can just do those simple things well instead of making every clearance look like a dog's arse-hole.

Hewett going to play on your Shorts and Daniels all year and try and hurt them by foot the other way

Rampe will have Mills spot

Hewett won't hurt anyone by foot. He's a nice kick, he's not a damaging kick. You want him delivering it to a forwards chest, not trying to slice a game open from the half back flank.

That’s true but he also rucked in a manner that leads to free kicks against by looking at the other ruckman until they crashed into each other. It will give away frees. It’s an easy fix if they identify it in the review and he listens and adjusts.

I'm a Sinclair Fan but seen him do exactly this most of last year so as far as fixing it easy The coaching staff need to update their VCR's because the tape just ain't showing it.

Last edited:
I've got a vibe George was played back to get more time near a footy.
Its been a common tactic to play someone coming back from a injury across HB.
Though i'm not convinced he's the second coming of Methuselah .
I can't see George and JPK in the same centre square unless George is playing a defensive mid position.

Mills the intercepting courageous mid won't be doing much courageous intercepting if he's just standing up in tackles getting pointless handballs away or bombing it out of the centre square. I just don't think his best attributes like his marking, his reading of the play, his directing etc are suited to being at the coalface in constant congestion. I worry it stalls his progression as that intercepting defender if he's wasting time adding new aspects to his game, which could all be for nothing if he doesn't work out there anyway. Not to mention I think he's taking midfield time away from some younger, better prospects.

Hewett's clearance and stoppage work is quality. He doesn't try to do too much like some of the younger, more Exciting™ mids (so therefore he is boring and average etc), but he nearly always does the right thing. He reminds me of Edwards and Lambert at Richmond. We need more guys in the guts who can just do those simple things well instead of making every clearance look like a dog's arse-hole.
If you take my post for what it was I would like to see both players in their best role. Mills HB George Mid. What I am saying though if team balance allows it Mills should be given a little more time to say he is not a mids a-hole which some on here are suggesting. If things continue with the pattern of the last couple of years make no mistake Mills is needed back.

Sinclair is a potato as a ruck.
Big heart though

I'm not saying he is Gary Dempsey and never have professed he is anymore than a desperate fix to a big problem. What I am saying is he has a problem with his ruck technique that is as plain as the nose on your face and while he is your ruckman like he was the past couple of years it needed to be recognised and fixed. And for the record he has done an enormous job.

You don't need the best ruck... but you do need one on the same page.
Look at the dynasty type sides. Hawks, Richmond , Cats to a degree.
Root vegetable ruckmen.
However mids that are all heading in the right direction.
Whereas teams with gold star ruckmen (gawn , Grundy, Goldstein)... well.

This new rule will also lessen the impact of a ruck. Way way less stoppages IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The mids delivery was truly awful. Can't fault the effort of JPK, Parker, Mills or Warner but they could not hit the side of a barn, and quite often I wonder if they even try to. We looked much better in the second half once guys like Blakey, Hewett and Campbell started getting more inside 50s. I think it's a testament to how we will be better off with actual proper wingman like McInerney, Stephens, Dawson etc delivering the ball.
Is it the delivery or the forward set up?
Things looked better when Logan provided another option.

Stephen Coniglio, GWS GIANTS, has been charged with Engaging in Rough Conduct against Callum Mills, Sydney Swans, during the second quarter of the AAMI Community Series match between the GWS GIANTS and the Sydney Swans, played at GIANTS Stadium on Sunday March 7.

In summary he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct, Low Impact and High Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Is it the delivery or the forward set up?
Things looked better when Logan provided another option.

It is both. No doubt having McDonald as an extra tall down there helped. Having a bloke called Buddy Franklin down there would help.

But go back and watch the kicks inside 50 from those mids I mentioned. I don't like to single them out and I said I wouldn't bash those who hack-kick this year because it's such a common part of the game these days, so they are not the only ones and I am not bashing them just stating my observations. You could have Plugger, Ablett Sr. and Dunstall in their primes inside 50, and they'd be rendered ineffective because every ball coming into them would play right into the hands of an intercepting defender. And with the new rule now I think it's going to be easier than ever for the loose man back to kill teams on the rebound, so it's more important than ever to lower the eyes and find a target in order to keep it out of that loose man's hands. Watching that Bulldogs and Melbourne game just then, there was no difference between the two sides except for two players: Bontempelli and Macrae, who just could not miss a target. They had 20 inside 50s between them and the Bulldogs - whose forward line is nearly as haphazard as ours - still generated 31 scoring shots.

If our mids aren't capable of finding targets like that (and I'm not sure any bar Hewett and Rowbottom are), then get it to the outside and use your outside players who can hit a target. That's what they're there for.

Sorry for the rant. Does my head in but I do concede it's just the way the game is these days. I feel we are worse for it than most teams though.

No idea how you figure that. I had him in our best players yesterday. He's so clean and composed. Only took one quarter to be reminded of how much we missed him last year.

Hewitt was awful. Every kick an up and under, got caught off the pace a bunch of times. And I say this as a big Hewitt fan. Was nowhere near our bests.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be picked Rd 1 but he has a way to go before he's back to his best.

Hewitt was awful. Every kick an up and under, got caught off the pace a bunch of times. And I say this as a big Hewitt fan. Was nowhere near our bests.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be picked Rd 1 but he has a way to go before he's back to his best.

No doubt. Did not see the up and unders you claim to have seen though. I thought he was typically composed and made good decisions.

No doubt. Did not see the up and unders you claim to have seen though. I thought he was typically composed and made good decisions.
He moon balled a few.
Not unlike Lloyd.
As opposed to Dawson, blakey, Campbell, Gulden.
I see a pattern

Hewett back was stuffed he just had major surgery in the off-season dont know if he will ever be the same player he was.

Plenty of credits in the bank.

I follow rugby.

Logan has the body of a 18 yr old breakaway. However the height of a second row..
Hes going to be huge.
His legs are legit tree trunks.
Just needs his engine tuned

Didn’t realize he was that size until I saw the picture of him kicking that goal. I guess that’s why he did ok against men.

The sky really is the limit for him. We could have an absolute steal considering he’s just what North needed if you look at their team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back