Preview Giants v Sydney Swans - Sunday 1:10PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You don't need the best ruck... but you do need one on the same page.
Look at the dynasty type sides. Hawks, Richmond , Cats to a degree.
Root vegetable ruckmen.
However mids that are all heading in the right direction.
Whereas teams with gold star ruckmen (gawn , Grundy, Goldstein)... well.

This new rule will also lessen the impact of a ruck. Way way less stoppages IMO.
Root vegetable big bodies who hurt people.
We don't have anything like that.

I'm a Sinclair Fan but seen him do exactly this most of last year so as far as fixing it easy The coaching staff need to update their VCR's because the tape just ain't showing it.

What’s this VCR thing you are talking about ? Does it stand for Visually Correct Rucking. You kids and your acronyms

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Didn’t realize he was that size until I saw the picture of him kicking that goal. I guess that’s why he did ok against men.

The sky really is the limit for him. We could have an absolute steal considering he’s just what North needed if you look at their team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beggars belief North went past Logan.
They must have been on the Swans forum which was calling Phillips the next Ian Stewart.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
Kind of feel like George Hewett's career has been ruined by over coaching.

Are players really so dependent on how they’re coached to the point that a good player can be "ruined"? I don’t agree with that at all. Hewett is about where he’d be no matter what.

Kolah

Senior List
Dec 29, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I've got a vibe George was played back to get more time near a footy.
Its been a common tactic to play someone coming back from a injury across HB.
Though i'm not convinced he's the second coming of Methuselah .
I can't see George and JPK in the same centre square unless George is playing a defensive mid position.

Agree about George. JPK and Parker in the centre square together isn’t a great combination anymore either. Putting Parker in the forward line, with an occasional run with the mids, will improve our scoring, develop the young mids coming through and extend the career and long term health of a champion who was twice voted AFL’s most courageous player.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Didn’t realize he was that size until I saw the picture of him kicking that goal. I guess that’s why he did ok against men.

The sky really is the limit for him. We could have an absolute steal considering he’s just what North needed if you look at their team.

We gave them Carey and Longmire soo maybe they returned the favor :p?

Agree about George. JPK and Parker in the centre square together isn’t a great combination anymore either. Putting Parker in the forward line, with an occasional run with the mids, will improve our scoring, develop the young mids coming through and extend the career and long term health of a champion who was twice voted AFL’s most courageous player.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Once upon a time a post like this would’ve had you in Bigfooty purgatory.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Two weeks in a row we’ve created more scoring shots than the opposition but due to our delivery we aren’t able to capitalise. Forward line was too short in the first half. Especially with Reid in the ruck. Hayward and Heeney as the key forwards were always going to be undersized. McDonald provided an instant tall target that could stretch the Giants in the second half.
Only too short because we delivered tgw ball by long bomb to small forwards

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
It is both. No doubt having McDonald as an extra tall down there helped. Having a bloke called Buddy Franklin down there would help.

But go back and watch the kicks inside 50 from those mids I mentioned. I don't like to single them out and I said I wouldn't bash those who hack-kick this year because it's such a common part of the game these days, so they are not the only ones and I am not bashing them just stating my observations. You could have Plugger, Ablett Sr. and Dunstall in their primes inside 50, and they'd be rendered ineffective because every ball coming into them would play right into the hands of an intercepting defender. And with the new rule now I think it's going to be easier than ever for the loose man back to kill teams on the rebound, so it's more important than ever to lower the eyes and find a target in order to keep it out of that loose man's hands. Watching that Bulldogs and Melbourne game just then, there was no difference between the two sides except for two players: Bontempelli and Macrae, who just could not miss a target. They had 20 inside 50s between them and the Bulldogs - whose forward line is nearly as haphazard as ours - still generated 31 scoring shots.

If our mids aren't capable of finding targets like that (and I'm not sure any bar Hewett and Rowbottom are), then get it to the outside and use your outside players who can hit a target. That's what they're there for.

Sorry for the rant. Does my head in but I do concede it's just the way the game is these days. I feel we are worse for it than most teams though.
You don’t like Mill’s loopy up and unders?
They seemed to work from defence when there was space for a player to run into. They don’t work when he kicks into the i50 ...

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
Real interesting re-reading last years pre-season game (94 point loss) vs this thread.
TLDR. Swans got thumped , gould laid a bump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back