News Giants want to play in LA

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Why LA though? Why not in New York or even in one of the southern states like Texas? LA is not a bad option if we were to do this, but apart from its potential social media pulling power, I don’t think it is the best option. Happy for my mind to be changed on this though.

I always figured LA has the most expat Aussies as it's usually the first port of entry from Oz... Aussie celebs in Hollywood can help promote it too

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
The sport isn't even recognised. Most think it's rugby when they see it. No one gives a s**t.

Avoid the suburban stuff and go with relatable names I reckon. The Magpies vs The Cats is just terrible.

GWSydney and West Coast sounds good to me. Giants vs Eagles. East vs West. Very relatable to the US market.

I would love to see this happen.

Maybe better to have it in NY or Philly, corresponding NFL fans can easily hang their hat on a side

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
I always figured LA has the most expat Aussies as it's usually the first port of entry from Oz... Aussie celebs in Hollywood can help promote it too
Ah I see that perspective. Aussies would obviously be the most interested in Aussie rules. I just don’t see LA as the place to be for sports

Dec 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man City, Box Hill Hawks
Ah I see that perspective. Aussies would obviously be the most interested in Aussie rules. I just don’t see LA as the place to be for sports

It's also one direct flight. Mind you they were happy to go to New York for whatever reason before playing gaelic in Ireland.

At least there would be some level of interest from LA. Better than China I suppose. Why hasn't India been looked into? 1 billion people who are madly into sport, just tell 'em it's what cricketers play in the winter and they will be all over it.
They'd probably reply with "WTF is 'Winter'? ".

Ok Boomer

Cancelled
A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jul 27, 2015
South West
AFL Club
West Coast
No chance West Coast would do it. I'd say no chance Fremantle would either. Neither have to do it for the money.

Travel burden is already too much, we would have an additional 5 or so hours each way too compared to the Giants.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
No one in America knows who Richmond are and aside from Martin aren't entertaining enough to watch. Collingwood are the most recognized club over there followed by Geelong and St Kilda
And the pies have the USA USA chant down pat

Given majority of their home state isnt interested in AFL this move to.play in another county is absurd.

Classic flimsy AFL head office BS
Picking up some “fans” with merch sales. Expats take locals along. Might do well.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Definitely Auckland if the AFL have any far flung plans to have a side based in a city of 1.5 million, 4 hours from the eastern seaboard

Still, a game in LA would still be a fun day out amongst expats
Only 3 hours to auckland 👍

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Stupid idea to play such a game for points. Sydney to LA is about a 14 hour flight. Far too long to accommodate into the regular season. Long haul flights are not good for recovery, that much is known already, even for medium haul flights like Perth-Brisbane, or Melbourne Auckland.

The annual China game is silly. This is just plain stupid.

Not until it is possible to do these international trips on supersonic flights. Until then forget it.

Back