News Giants want to play in LA

Remove this Banner Ad

At least there would be some level of interest from LA. Better than China I suppose. Why hasn't India been looked into? 1 billion people who are madly into sport, just tell 'em it's what cricketers play in the winter and they will be all over it.
A couple of side bets on the game , think of the possibilities

Players don't give two fu**s about losing these days. they're back out swanning around on the piss after a shameful defeat. and if you believe they should be sheepishly hanging their heads because they just got paid about 12 grand for it, you're some sort of a-hole.
Exactly players would love it I reckon. Straight to Vegas after the game for a 4 day bender where nobody recognises them prior to going home

The sport isn't even recognised. Most think it's rugby when they see it. No one gives a s**t.

Avoid the suburban stuff and go with relatable names I reckon. The Magpies vs The Cats is just terrible.

GWSydney and West Coast sounds good to me. Giants vs Eagles. East vs West. Very relatable to the US market.

I would love to see this happen.
Wouldn't be WC because they already travel so much. Might be GC

I'm sure we'll put our hand up to play.

Those suggesting other teams are missing the point.
Most Americans could only name Sydney as a place in Australia (sorry Melbourne), they wouldn't have a clue what a Collingwood is and they would think Richmond were from Virginia.
GWS are the best bet.

LA makes straight up zero sense. I know its a massive market, but outside basketball the sports fanbase is extremely fairweather. Just look at the LA Chargers games, there's no LA fans to be seen.

If the AFL wants to have a crack at an overseas market, they should be looking at London, Toronto or Vancouver, places with big expat communities.

If you are looking at the US, its gotta be New York, but the main issue with that would be finding a venue.
Too late for Toronto, league and union saw that opportunity and swooped!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I personally think it would be a great move.
There is a competition called AFLUSA over there.
So grounds wouldn't be a problem.

I personally think it would be a great move.
There is a competition called AFLUSA over there.
So grounds wouldn't be a problem.
A lot of the grounds they use are just parkland that has a boundary marked on it for the game. Usually not AFL size, with no spectator facilities except maybe the odd marquee for a day on grand final day. Certainly no broadcast facilities or professional level rooms for players and umpires.

Finding somewhere to play Australian Football isn't easy but can be done, finding somewhere AFL suitable is a much harder task. It can probably be done, with serious research. You need something which can accommodate a few thousand people, with a playing surface much larger than those used in American sports.

A lot of the grounds they use are just parkland that has a boundary marked on it for the game. Usually not AFL size, with no spectator facilities except maybe the odd marquee for a day on grand final day. Certainly no broadcast facilities or professional level rooms for players and umpires.

Finding somewhere to play Australian Football isn't easy but can be done, finding somewhere AFL suitable is a much harder task. It can probably be done, with serious research. You need something which can accommodate a few thousand people, with a playing surface much larger than those used in American sports.
Still there are grounds they use over there.
It doesn't actually have to be to AFL size.

I've been to grounds at a local footy level that are tiny

Remove this Banner Ad

Back