News Giants want to play in LA

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think this is a great idea. Especially around the byes and Thursday games etc they can really maximise the break.

If they were serious though, they should almost pay ESPN/Fox as an "advert" to televise games into the USA for the season
You expect ESPN/Fox to pick up the tab for this jolly?

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
WOW Would never have thought they’d shunt the Giants to California before moving the Suns to Tasmania.
As much as it would make economic sense to sent the Suns to Tassie it won't happen.
I would still like to find out who's going to pay for this jolly to LA, as in my opinion it will be a massive cash loss.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No just review the Californians who will actually watch a game and you will reduce your enthusiasm by half..

not ready yet.. super bowl isn't super she/rrin ... the damn spell check won't allow a sh'errin.. it is all over dude..

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Nothing new here. Over 30 years ago the VFL genuinely floated the idea if relocating a team to LA and calling them the "LA Crocodiles" They'd come to Melbourne for 3 or 4 week blocks to play away games, and then go back to LA for a month to play home games.

LA makes straight up zero sense. I know its a massive market, but outside basketball the sports fanbase is extremely fairweather. Just look at the LA Chargers games, there's no LA fans to be seen.

If the AFL wants to have a crack at an overseas market, they should be looking at London, Toronto or Vancouver, places with big expat communities.

If you are looking at the US, its gotta be New York, but the main issue with that would be finding a venue.
TO be fair,. the Chargers fans are in San Diego. LA is not their market and Spanos family only moved for $$

LA makes sense as anytime from April to Sept anywhere east of LA will be stupid hot - Texas, Florida etc way too oppresive ( LA is too to be fair) but at least is only 1 flight from Melbourne.

Also, large expat market to draw interst and drag seppos along as well.

There is also expat AFL league in LA so some support... Texas AFL league not know of.

Go Catters

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

From the article.

"Historically one of the main impediments to playing a game there has been finding a suitable venue but we believe there is a solution to that."

I'd like to know what that solution is.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
GWSydney and West Coast sounds good to me. Giants vs Eagles. East vs West. Very relatable to the US market.
I agree it's more relatable, but I feel like the Greater Western Sydney and West Coast would confuse them if it was billed as an east Vs west. Yeah the marketing WOUKD probably have GWS instead of the long form, but never underestimate the average Americans stupidity.

COOGRE

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southampton FC, New Orleans Saints
Covids gone, lets make this happen giants!!

COOGRE

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southampton FC, New Orleans Saints
The next broadcast deal is in 3 years time and no doubt a game in LA (SoFi Stadium or the Coliseum) is a possibility
Yeah broadcast deal works well with tassie being introduced. With 19 teams it will be easy to schedule.

Example
Round 1
Friday night LA, Saturday 12pm in Australia
Giants vs St Kilda
Round 2
Giants Bye
St Kilda Bye
random team bye
16 teams still playing

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
WCE Wings Guernsey
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not all Australians like sport.
Not all Australian sports fans like AF.
Less than 1 in 5 Australians watch the AFL Grand Final

Isn't it 1 in 5 households watch the Grand Final - but in reality, a lot of those households are hosting family and friends.

The next broadcast deal is in 3 years time and no doubt a game in LA (SoFi Stadium or the Coliseum) is a possibility

Sofi and Collisiem wrong size for game. CAnt be played there.

GO Catters

Back