Gibbo's cooked

Remove this Banner Ad

Regained a bit of his leap this week. That's the promising sign.

Gibbo is always under-sized, so if he can't jump he's cooked, and he has been giving away a lot of free kicks this year by scragging and holding on to the forward. If his body is right and his jump is back, he'll get back some form.

I think the way the cluster/defensive set up was put in place this week really helped Gibbo, he is fine when not confined to playing on an opponent directly for large periods of the game. If we continue with the high ground cluster like set up then we will see Gibbo play his role well, if we go back to the set up we had for the first 4 weeks where there where more 1v1s and isolations then he will look as cumbersome as ever.

Long live Clarkos cluster

Surely after the weekends performance we have seen the last of this great servant. Looks so far off the pace and was lucky not to cost us the game. Brand is the way to go with his extra height, has to be. Clarko would have to be alarmed at how vulnerable we are with him down back these days, can't run or jump anymore and his athleticism has gone out the window with his inability to move out of the way of an incoming tackler glaringly obvious.

Sad to see him struggling so badly.

Will be fondly remembered as a 3x premiership player & 2x b&f in premiership years.

That is not to be sneezed at.

Also has a best player in finals award if I recall correctly. Perhaps 2012.

I've loved watching Gibbo since he crossed over from Norf and will always be grateful for the years he held our backline together almost singlehandedly, but seeing him cost us multiple goals week in, week out this year has been a painful experience.

I think we've crossed the threshold where the damage his inclusion does to the team outweighs the benefits he brings and the desire to avoid tarnishing his reputation by having him play out the season in the reserves. Wonderful servant of the club, but we have nothing to gain by tanking this year so the question must be asked if we'll win more games with him in the team or out. Gibbo can still offer plenty of advice & instruction to the kids coming through at Box Hill.

I've loved watching Gibbo since he crossed over from Norf and will always be grateful for the years he held our backline together almost singlehandedly, but seeing him cost us multiple goals week in, week out this year has been a painful experience.

I think we've crossed the threshold where the damage his inclusion does to the team outweighs the benefits he brings and the desire to avoid tarnishing his reputation by having him play out the season in the reserves. Wonderful servant of the club, but we have nothing to gain by tanking this year so the question must be asked if we'll win more games with him in the team or out. Gibbo can still offer plenty of advice & instruction to the kids coming through at Box Hill.
Yeah - Nash and Glass and Heatherly would learn so much from him. He definitely would have value in that role.

And it's not like this isn't a skill worth developing more. Mentoring young players leads to assistant coach gigs etc or any managerial job later on.

I suppose he is already doing this in the firsts though. Got to remember Howe, Hardwick and Burton are all there now

Not complaining about the actual discussion but I think this thread title is a bit unsavoury for a triple premiership star + dual b&f winner

How about 'Gibbo the Hawks legend is regrettably cooked'?

I will bet $100 he will walk straight into a tackle or 2 while trying to get around someone on the weekend.
All but done & should be depth only, train up the kids as much as possible before the end of the year & end of a career, well deserved of an appropriate send off as a modern day champ at the Hawks.

Loved watching him work but the intrigue is for the new kids on the block to take us forward.
There aren't many who have failed this season

It's sad seeing Gibbo play like this but it will also be sad to see him play out his days at the city Oval. Simply one of those cases where a champion has gone on 12 months too long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not complaining about the actual discussion but I think this thread title is a bit unsavoury for a triple premiership star + dual b&f winner

Unsavoury or not, it is what it is unfortunately. Should of hung up the boots at the end of last year. Nobody on this board likes seeing this champ go through this. He will forever be remembered by me and many others as an absolute champ who was integral to our great successes. But the curtain has been called.

Personally, I reckon he would walk before he gets dropped. He spoke to the players earlier in the year about his output & the criticism he was receiving. They reassured him it was all good, but the seed may have already been planted.

Sent from my couch with a beer.

Personally, I reckon he would walk before he gets dropped. He spoke to the players earlier in the year about his output & the criticism he was receiving. They reassured him it was all good, but the seed may have already been planted.

Sent from my couch with a beer.

He should walk then. He's currently not doing the right thing by the club by playing when he's a liability in a crucial position.

Did a couple of very important little things on the weekend that were critical in the context of the game. The push on Hannan near the boundary when they were side by side allowed him to take possesion and handball into space to hodge which ended up in smiths goal. Then the gibbo frawley seamless handover of opponents in the last play was brilliant. No wonder he is still getting a game.

Sometimes this sort of stuff gets said enough and everyone starts saying it too. Yes he is at the end but he is still contributing and trying his guts out so respect and celebrate his last season with support.

What do we gain with Gibbo on the field?
Great servant, one of our best in a golden era but if he was anybody else I doubt supporters would look so hard to find the little things he still does well when there are so many obvious poor things.

Very sad but at the moment he is simply stopping someone else from developing and gaining exposure. Hopefully he can turn it around.

Did a couple of very important little things on the weekend that were critical in the context of the game. The push on Hannan near the boundary when they were side by side allowed him to take possesion and handball into space to hodge which ended up in smiths goal. Then the gibbo frawley seamless handover of opponents in the last play was brilliant. No wonder he is still getting a game.

Sometimes this sort of stuff gets said enough and everyone starts saying it too. Yes he is at the end but he is still contributing and trying his guts out so respect and celebrate his last season with support.

Sounds like things most players would do in those positions. Doesn't detract from his costly turnovers and the couple of marks he allowed players to take because his spoiling attempts were a mile away due to his drop in pace and decision making.

I don't care how much he 'tries his guts out' - if it's to no avail then what's the point of him playing?

Duryea and Schoenmakers got one chance this year after indifferent years in 2016, they've both been banished to the VFL. We didn't get all misty-eyed when Osborne and Sewell played out their time in the VFL because other players had passed them, both are premiership players and Sewell had a PCM to his name as well. Where was his free ticket to prevent Langford gametime in 2014?

There's a time for sentiment - and it shouldn't be at the match committee. If Gibbo isn't up to AFL standard then he shouldn't play.

Sounds like things most players would do in those positions. Doesn't detract from his costly turnovers and the couple of marks he allowed players to take because his spoiling attempts were a mile away due to his drop in pace and decision making.

I don't care how much he 'tries his guts out' - if it's to no avail then what's the point of him playing?

Duryea and Schoenmakers got one chance this year after indifferent years in 2016, they've both been banished to the VFL. We didn't get all misty-eyed when Osborne and Sewell played out their time in the VFL because other players had passed them, both are premiership players and Sewell had a PCM to his name as well. Where was his free ticket to prevent Langford gametime in 2014?

There's a time for sentiment - and it shouldn't be at the match committee. If Gibbo isn't up to AFL standard then he shouldn't play.
Have a look at the game again. You have pointed out some things. Yes he didnt make a couple of spoils but he was going 3rd man up and yes he got caught with it but so did hodge. Its the stuff he is doing when we have the ball. And mostly he has so much experience that the younger players are learning from him. Gibbo gets caught with it because he is always trying to be constructive.

Make no mistake he has slowed down and this is his last year but i think his form has improved as the year has gone on and that backline is starting to gell as a team

Have a look at the game again. You have pointed out some things. Yes he didnt make a couple of spoils but he was going 3rd man up and yes he got caught with it but so did hodge. Its the stuff he is doing when we have the ball. And mostly he has so much experience that the younger players are learning from him. Gibbo gets caught with it because he is always trying to be constructive.

Make no mistake he has slowed down and this is his last year but i think his form has improved as the year has gone on and that backline is starting to gell as a team

Trying to be constructive. Players are learning from him. Stuff he is doing when we have the ball.

IMG_3075.JPG

It's amazing how father time catches up with you once your midfield starts to leak relentless entries and defenders are then isolated and are void of any protection from the midfield. Gibson isn't the only one that looks ordinary at the minute.

Some made big hard-line calls for a hard-line rebuild two rounds into the season and Gibbo was the big scalp they wanted. No amount of improved performance from Gibbo will swing their view on this, no amount of explanation of his role in the team will sway their thinking. Should just put this sad, embarrassing thread to bed, just fodder for lurkers and haters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back