List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rockliff is a free agent, Carlton don't need to offer anything for him. Likewise I doubt Smith will demand a first round pick.

Why would Rocky entertain going to the Blues? Aside from being a mercenary, there is no chance of him winning a flag let alone getting in the 8 for at least another 4-5+ years.

I think its also poor list management by the Blues to recruit a player of his age profile given where your Club is at at the moment, ie gutting its list and rebuilding.

Haha SOS, what a joke. As people have previously stated - the reason Carlton want 2 x 1st round draft picks is that they are horrible at developing talent and have been gifted so many that they don't rate a pick in the 1st round as highly as we do. It's chump change to them.

He wants two 1st's because if he botches up one selection they think that they hopefully may make something out of the other pick we give them.

#soslogic

Rockliff is a free agent, Carlton don't need to offer anything for him. Likewise I doubt Smith will demand a first round pick.

Unless they get band one, they'll be matching any offer and forcing a trade to get better than pick 19. You do understand what the R stands for in RFA? And they've got first pick in the PSD. So unless you're paying band one coin, you'll be paying at least a first and second for him. Thinking anything else is a possibility is complete delusion.

Yeah. I think this is one where its really difficult to guess what the club will do. Its not obvious. Band 2 compensation still gives pick 18 (a first rounder in any other year). But at the same time they have made him their final offer. If Carlton's offer is even $25k or $50k more than Brisbane's then it would be a bit of an about turn to say, ok actually we will pay you more. Especially as they will then have made him unhappy and go through all the process of negotiating and agreeing terms with a new club.

My guess is that Brisbane have made the biggest offer they are prepared to make and they can't reasonably expect another club to pay him more just to get them extra compensation, so they will let him walk provided the offer exceeds what they have made.

The length of the contract is also a factor which Brisbane are less likely to match than actual contract value.

I've obviously missed something and it's time to find out what. Why are Brisbane getting 18 for band 2 compensation? Who is missing out in the first round for them to get the pick that the premier normally gets?

Why would Rocky entertain going to the Blues? Aside from being a mercenary, there is no chance of him winning a flag let alone getting in the 8 for at least another 4-5+ years.

I think its also poor list management by the Blues to recruit a player of his age profile given where your Club is at at the moment, ie gutting its list and rebuilding.

You've got to see it from the average Carlton supporter's viewpoint. We pay 10 plus our first for Gibbs. They get Rocky on $600k for nothing because he's a free agent and Brisbane would be mad to match because 19 for Rocky is an enormous coup for them. He probably won't get a game anyway, they can easily list 6 mids that he won't get a game ahead of. It brings back memories of the Sauce for our first + more and in, "Swan and Icke we trust". As a group, they really haven't the faintest idea.

I've obviously missed something and it's time to find out what. Why are Brisbane getting 18 for band 2 compensation? Who is missing out in the first round for them to get the pick that the premier normally gets?
GWS - lost pick for Whitfield hiding from drug testers

We are the GWS Blues, the old dark GWS Blues....

We're the team, that rarely wins a game
Our trade hypotheticals are insane

We are the GWS Blues

We are the Old Dark GWS Blues

We're the team that rarely wins a game

Our trade hypotheticals are insane

With other clubs rejects

They like to send us

We'll never end top

And they will laugh 'cos they've been playing

Against the famous Old GWS Blues

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless they get band one, they'll be matching any offer and forcing a trade to get better than pick 19. You do understand what the R stands for in RFA? And they've got first pick in the PSD. So unless you're paying band one coin, you'll be paying at least a first and second for him. Thinking anything else is a possibility is complete delusion.
If Brisbane match, Carlton walk away. We are only interested in him because he is a free agent.

I definitely would like Gibbs.

Our need for Gibbs has decreased in my opinion.

If your need decreases, it makes no sense to be willing to pay more than what you were willing to offer the year before.

We will offer the same, or less. I suspect we will offer less though as Justin Reid strikes me as a tough negotiator.

I'm a firm believer that history will view last year's potential trade as a big mistake for Carlton.

I'm more happy than ever with the way we conducted ourselves in last year's potential trade and didn't give in to their demands.

If we win the flag this year I would prefer to pass on Gibbs and bank the draft picks to invest heavily in the draft

If we win the flag this year, the Club will offer "their best offer" for Gibbs. It wont be two 1sts. It wont be the Lever pick either. It will be our 18th (hopefully) and a player/second rounder.

If Carlton pass, we will pass. Its as simple as that.

If we are to put in order the parties that need this trade to happen most it would go something like this:

1. Bryce Gibbs' wife
2. Bryce Gibbs
3. Carlton
4. Adelaide

We want to try and do the right thing for Bryce but we really are the group with the least need for this to happen.

This will dictate the way the trade unfolds, if it even does.

They have to cling on to Gibbs like grim death and trade in ready-made olds like Rockliff (and Priddis?) because if they roll out yet another bottom four finish their decent young talent will get impatient and leave. Their 'rebuild' is a sham.

One poster just mentioned above one thing that Carlton and SOS have been so negligent on and that is the reason why Gibbs wants to return home. Most unbiased AFL supporters feel we offered a fair value for Gibbs and it was Carlton and probably more so SOS putting his ego ahead of the health and well being of the Gibbs family.

I could even understand if Carlton were in some sought of premiership window. FFS they wont even play finals for another 5 years.

If Brisbane match, Carlton walk away. We are only interested in him because he is a free agent.

Certainly an interesting scenario

Would put Brisbane in a difficult position. Rockliff isn’t obliged to come back to Brisbane, they’ve given up FA compensation and they don’t have a trade partner.

If they matched Brisbane would want to be damned sure they knew what Carlton were thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back