hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Lots of organic growth there (no seriously) and I rate them more than most would on this board, but Gibbs is a loss.
Their best players are their oldest ones, the kids should improve but so should teams around them bar GC.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Okay, so looking at the trade:

Pick 10 for Gibbs
Pick 16 for Carltons 2018 2nd(likely 19-25)
Crows 2018 2nd(30-38) for Carltons 2018 3rd (38-45)
Pick 73 for pick 77 (who cares...)

Probably not as bad as initial thoughts, but also not amazing. The success of this trade also depends on us being successful next year and Carlton remaining cellar dwellers. I gather we're keen on next years draft, because our hand for this years draft is currently useless.
Was a win for carlton. A gamble for us. A good trade is a win win. Take note reid.

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's a bit bittersweet, though knowing we've got 2 1sts and a likely early 2nd for next year's superior draft dulls most negativity towards the deal.

Just relieved to see we've got a player who'll bolster our midfield for next year and lessen the load on Sloane and the Crouches.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Why? We have picks that were clearly going to bundle up.
Depends what Melbourne's pick turns into. We could end up with one if they don't develop as fast as most believe.

Which does happen.

maybe their backslapping hysterics and our wrist slitting defeatists are at the melodramatic extremes, and the actual reality of the trades worth lies somewhere in the middle.
just a thought
Your rationality has no place amongst the wailing and fretting going on in here.

And Sanders??????????

That I am agreeing with him concerns me somewhat...

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
What if it's 20?

I actually think it will end up pick 18 plus a swap of other picks. Maybe pick 18 plus swap of pick 39 for 20?

Instead of pick 12 we end up with 18 & 20. Could do worse.

Or maybe pick 18 plus swap of our 2018 3rd round pick for Brisbane 2018 2nd round pick i.e. pick 36-40 for pick 18-24

Aaron929

Club Legend
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Depends what Melbourne's pick turns into. We could end up with one if they don't develop as fast as most believe.

Which does happen.

The thing is at it stands right now going by this years ladder

Trading out picks 10+16 Gives us Enough points for pick 4. Throw in the second rounders and thirds we have probably enough for Pick 5 as well

I used to think you only acted stupid, I was wrong about that.

I was right that you’ll take any attention rather than be ignored ;)
Just helping to clarify the context of your conditional

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wanted Gibbs but this trade is absolutely pathetic. So we effectively give up 2 first round draft picks after all probably more than was offered last year. Goodbye Fogarty.

It's getting harder and harder to justify supporting these amateurs.

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
There is no debate that there are massive swings in the value of a pick depending on the quality of the draft
I'm not debating that.

The only serious opinion to have on the subject is whether 2018 really is a much better class. An opinion on if one class can be worth a lot more is not serious
exactly, and wind back a couple of weeks and you seemed to think that the difference in strength is likely marginal rather than significant, so why the change of heart?

you said pick 22 next year would be as good if not better than pick 16 this year, so at the moment you must be pretty confident that next year's draft is much stronger no?

Apr 18, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow. With what we’ve been able to do with the measly picks we’ve had imagine a 10 and 19 on our list for their careers.

I don’t know, it seems nuts but our recruiting and list management has been some of the best in the business. I’ve been unhappy with numerous decisions in the past that ended up being great for us. I hope this is one of them.

Premiership or bust it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back