Gibbs is now a Crow

How do you feel about the Bryce Gibbs deal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sinking the boot in big time. Doesn't bother me though. Results will speak for themselves.

No mention of how we've stocked up for a raid at next year's drafting either when they rate our trade period.
The trade radio rates were dumb because they completely ignore draft pick strategies. Ours has been superb . We are going to be flooded with options next draft

I have Gibbs in a private legacy competition, I picked him up cheap after he was delisted 2 years ago he was averaging around 75 points per game (We basically use DT points ) Gibbs now averages around 100 over the last 2 years.
People forget that he's been used as a fix it tool for Carlton for a long time, when he gets to run on the ball he is absolute silk.

I wonder if all the people who thought that we paid too much for Gibbs because of his age would think that Rory wouldn't be worth that price next year if there is a trade?

I was keen on going into two years of drafts with multiple 1st round picks and letting the group grow together. That's a strategy other teams have used in the past and Lever's trade (and as it turned out Charlie) gave us a unique chance to use a similar tactic.

I think we paid overs for Gibbs in picks because of his age and he was contracted. No possibility of ending up with multiple 10 year players in this deal or Gibbs lasting much longer than the 4 years he signed.

I understand the why and I'll accept the deal is done and embrace it.

I not sure why Sloane was mentioned as he'll be a free agent next year.
The difference with Rory he is already our player and we don't lose multiple picks retaining him. Sure we pay big dollars but for what he brings in courage, gut running and leadership and the other intangibles we'll pay him what it takes.

When the media goes full lindy apoplectic like it has over the past couple weeks, you know you’re doing something right. They’re going batshit crazy because they see us a threat. But, they’ve got license at the moment because we lost a grand final.

They haven’t said a word about Collingwood’s trade period and their salary cap woes. That’s the REAL story of this trade period - how a club that hasn’t made the finals in forever can’t even afford anyone.

There’s one rule that remains true about the modern media. The more batshit crazy they get, the better you’re doing.

And yeah, this post was an excuse to bring up Donald Trump.
Please don't compare the AFC to Trump. We have a plan for one thing.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Sloane will re-sign for another 2 years on the basis of trying to win a premiership for the club and himself. If it doesn't happen he will move back to Victoria. His wife's work doesn't require her to be in Victoria all the time

Who knows... win the gf next year and maybe Sloane going wouldn’t be that bad... especially if, as you would suspect would be the case, several Victorian clubs are chasing him... maybe Sloane does a Dangerfield and says “the club that wants my signature has to compensate Adelaide with their first round draft pick and more”... another first rounder in the “super draft” and possible a top 10 if he goes to a Collingwood/st Kilda/Carlton.

Sloane has been a warrior for the club and honestly you’d have to think he’s the type who will be a one club player... but if he and his wife decides that moving back to Victoria is in their interest then so be it he’s given Adelaide his all. We’ve got Gibbs, the crouch bros and there will be a Gallucci, Milera, poholke that will emerge as a first 22 player next year.. you watch.

Could mean the difference when it comes to picking up one or two of these young SA lads that are gonna be superstars in next years draft.

I think Sloane will re-sign for another 2 years on the basis of trying to win a premiership for the club and himself. If it doesn't happen he will move back to Victoria. His wife's work doesn't require her to be in Victoria all the time

IMO it will be long term deal that locks him away as a one club player

Starting to get excited for next year. Bring it on!
And this is the emotional impact of the Gibbs trade .....not just the supporters but the playing group ....but no point allocation for emotional uplift

I was keen on going into two years of drafts with multiple 1st round picks and letting the group grow together. That's a strategy other teams have used in the past and Lever's trade (and as it turned out Charlie) gave us a unique chance to use a similar tactic.
And we have two Edwards boys coming in ... one with potential of being a first rounder. However, that's all in the medium future and you never know what will happen, meanwhile we strengthen our current hand that bit more.

I see this all the time on footy forums but I don't buy it. Efficient markets will settle on "fair" value when that market has a lot of buyers who have all necessary information about an asset. The AFL is inefficient. Leaving aside the information factor, there are only 18 clubs in the market and frequently they have very limited currency to trade with. For instance geelong might've have already traded their first rounder out and therefore can't meet the asking price, or a club values their outgoing player as an early first-round pick, but the buying club only has a late first-rounder.

After you include the fact that clubs only have a 10 day trade window in a 365-day year, it's clear that there are massive limitations on achieving "fair market value". For that reason, sometimes a club has to pay "overs", and other times a club has to accept "unders".

What information assymetry skews the market for AFL players?

I think we paid overs for Gibbs in picks because of his age and he was contracted. No possibility of ending up with multiple 10 year players in this deal or Gibbs lasting much longer than the 4 years he signed.

I understand the why and I'll accept the deal is done and embrace it.

I not sure why Sloane was mentioned as he'll be a free agent next year.
The difference with Rory he is already our player and we don't lose multiple picks retaining him. Sure we pay big dollars but for what he brings in courage, gut running and leadership and the other intangibles we'll pay him what it takes.

It is a strategy that teams have used but those teams were usually earlier in their development curve. Our 08-10 group and 13-16 group are the elite part of our squad now (08-10 also had Tippett, Davis, Danger :( ). It's a strategy that's employed, but not the right one for us now. We are in our window to push for success. 2 heavy Draft years doesn't really improve our 22 unitil 19-20. Gibbs gives our best 22 an improvement from Rd 1. Losing Smith, Lever and Cameron means that our 22 is theoretically weaker from 17 to 18; Gibbs in, with suitable replacements like Gallucci, Hampton, Keath and Doedee means that We might even have a stronger 22 next year. Geelong, Port and the Bombers all got better last week, we needed to as well.
I think that you can't watch moves in isolation as it's hard to see the forest for the trees. On the surface it's 2 first rounders, but when you break it down it's 1 (2017 pick 10) and a shuffle down in 2018; 2017 pick 16 becomes 2018 pick 20 and so on. 2018 by all reports is a superior draft, we will have 2 picks in the top 20.

I don't care about year 17+5 at the moment, I want 17+1 to win a premiership.

I mentioned Sloane not in a what are we going to get manner, more theoretical in that next year he will be Gibbs age, would you be happy with the trade that we got for Gibbs back for Sloane? Would you feel it was enough?

I agree pay him whatever it takes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What information assymetry skews the market for AFL players?
By saying "leaving aside the information factor", I was implying that this isn't a factor in the incestuous afl industry. Having said that, one example off the top of my head is Sydney knowing about our "2nd round pick deal" with Tippett; information which Tippett revealed to the Swans and which sparked Sydney's interest to an extent.

All of them, with 1 or 2 exceptions who will double down regardless

Bitches be shocked when they see up close how good he really is
I'm with you on this one. I've often seen him as a lone ranger battling away for Carlton with little support, and not sure if he looks so good because of the mediocrity around him. I can't wait to see how he goes in a better team with better talent on the end of his superb kicking...except for JJ of course;)

By saying "leaving aside the information factor", I was implying that this isn't a factor in the incestuous afl industry. Having said that, one example off the top of my head is Sydney knowing about our "2nd round pick deal" with Tippett; information which Tippett revealed to the Swans and which sparked Sydney's interest to an extent.

What you said was:

“I see this all the time on footy forums but I don't buy it. Efficient markets will settle on "fair" value when that market has a lot of buyers who have all necessary information about an asset. The AFL is inefficient. “

There are no informational deficiencies in the league, just differentials in quality of organisation, analysis and planning

There are no shortage of buyers, all clubs bid for players off market before the player “nominates”. That auction or market settling process happens offline but is no less rigorous than any other market place

Agents and clubs will be jockeying soon for 2018 players

I'm with you on this one. I've often seen him as a lone ranger battling away for Carlton with little support, and not sure if he looks so good because of the mediocrity around him. I can't wait to see how he goes in a better team with better talent on the end of his superb kicking...except for JJ of course;)

Why would the talent on the end of his kicking have any bearing on the quality of his play?

It might have an impact on the teams performance, but it shouldn’t make much difference to assessments of his personal performance

Why would the talent on the end of his kicking have any bearing on the quality of his play?

It might have an impact on the teams performance, but it shouldn’t make much difference to assessments of his personal performance
If his work is better capped off than at Carlton, which it most certainly will be, with his kicks being more competently received and dealt with, I think he'll appear to be even better than he's perceived already. Perception aside, his actual performance could go either way playing in a better side. If it remains status quo he'll still be a boost for us.

I think that's why we drafted Lever in the first place.

Although I'm annoyed, I honestly find it hard to begrudge Lever for leaving if the difference in pay was truly significant.

Yeah but it shows character or lack of, he puts money before team mates and the club, the only club, that took a risk on an injury prone recruit. I can understand why Tex is pissed off because Tex has taken less coin to win a flag and can’t understand why others won’t follow his lead.

MCrouch 2018 Brownlow Winner

Last edited:
All of them, with 1 or 2 exceptions who will double down regardless

Bitches be shocked when they see up close how good he really is

Gibbs is going to tear it up for you guys, he had a 6 week patch of this year that was simple elite, the stats say he was the 2nd best player in the league over that stretch, only Dusty was ranking higher, be much easier for him to keep that kind of form up playing in you're team.
I'm actually going to put some coin on Gibba for the Brownlow, polled 14 votes IIRC, in a team that only won 6 games for the year.
It's great that he got to come home and I'd love to see both Gibbs and Eddie win a flag, he is such a class person, could have easily just coasted through this year, but he was an absolute pro about the situation.
Those Carlton and Adelaide supporters that don't think Gibbs as a gun, need to start following some other more simplistic sport, as it's clear they don't understand much about football.

On the day we weren't close though.

Look, leaving aside what I said earlier on this, I think people underestimate just how much impact one elite player makes on a game like that.

If we'd had someone who could have turned back the momentum in the second quarter, even with just one play of brilliance / goal etc then it might have been very different from then on.

Confidence and momentum are amazing things.

Back