Gibbs is now a Crow

How do you feel about the Bryce Gibbs deal?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Send him back to carlton for a 4th rounder. At least his salary will be off our hands. Hell i would pay 50% of it to get him out.

Looks very much like a player that doesn't give a stuff. Came home, big bucks. Cruise mode
Push him out end of the year. Just needs to be told he isn't playing here. Will need to pay a fair amount of his salary though.

He's probably going to have to play Seedsman's role for the year now. Hopefully that suits him more than the current 'roam a little and turn it over' role he's currently playing.

This concern me still, because he can't kick for ****ing s**t as opposed to Seedsman who can.

Has a booming kick on him too, but instead of taking his time to kick a standard 45-50m shot at goal, for some absurd reason blazed away on the run from his 50m penalty and didn't even make the distance from about 52m out. Pathetic.

Not to mention the few times he went inside 50 and had Crows players on the lead and hit a Geelong player on the tit.

Or that time he just went for a stroll out of the goal square on a kick in took his sweet ass time getting rid of the ball, and allowed the Geelong player standing directly in front of him, to close in 10m and spoil the ball.

You want to make a statement after that loss, then drop Gibbs. For a senior player that performance and his start to the season has pathetic. He might be playing a little ginger with that shoulder, but still basic decision making a kicking shouldn't affect this.

This concern me still, because he can't kick for ****ing s**t as opposed to Seedsman who can.

Has a booming kick on him too, but instead of taking his time to kick a standard 45-50m shot at goal, for some absurd reason blazed away on the run from his 50m penalty and didn't even make the distance from about 52m out. Pathetic.

Not to mention the few times he went inside 50 and had Crows players on the lead and hit a Geelong player on the tit.

Or that time he just went for a stroll out of the goal square on a kick in took his sweet ass time getting rid of the ball, and allowed the Geelong player standing directly in front of him, to close in 10m and spoil the ball.

You want to make a statement after that loss, then drop Gibbs. For a senior player that performance and his start to the season has pathetic. He might be playing a little ginger with that shoulder, but still basic decision making a kicking shouldn't affect this.

Can't argue with that.
But he was a beautiful kick of the ball at Carlton and even at times last year.
You don't just lose that ability.

Can't argue with that.
But he was a beautiful kick of the ball at Carlton and even at times last year.
You don't just lose that ability.

Yeah it's frustrating as hell. I was a big advocate of Gibbs coming over because of his decision making, football IQ and skills.

He wasn't too bad last year, was good most of the year and was our only midfielder left standing.

This year he has absolutely no excuses. The midfield support is there around him and yet he's playing terribly. I'm not sure if it's form or he doesn't give a flying ****?

But those stunts he pulled playing on from the 50m penalty and strolling in from the kick in to have the ball smothered by a player he saw coming from 10m away, that's just inexcusable. You would maybe expect a panicking rookie to make those basic mistakes, not a 200 gamer.

Looking back, can understand why we'd do it at the time, but seems a bit like back with the family, cruise through on big dollars till the end of the career levels of comfort.

Is this a list issue related to having so many older guys starting families? Probably a stupid connection to make and I'm sure there's a big list of fathers who played great football, Eddie Betts when he was firing for example.

But every one of them says stuff like they've discovered that there is more to life than football, good to switch off after a match and just focus on the family and stuff like that... which is nice...

But is it actually what gets us a team of people driven to premiership success, could it be that the drive or push needs to come from a group of people who don't switch off, who for them footy is everything, competing is everything, winning is everything?

I'm not trying to suggest we make having children a list management policy, but a bit of turn over in that 25+ range wouldn't hurt, if a 22 year old can do (or get close to) what a 28 year old can do it would surely add some energy and hunger to the team, you don't get 22 year olds that can do what a 28 year old can do unless you give them games as 18/19 year olds.

Last edited:
We are certainly a superannuation club to be at. Why did he not come home when he was a free agent. He's 30yo now and cost us heaps.We also need to look at what Reid offers us. I have seen no positives in his negotiating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are certainly a superannuation club to be at. Why did he not come home when he was a free agent. He's 30yo now and cost us heaps.We also need to look at what Reid offers us. I have seen no positives in his negotiating.

He signed a 5 year deal on 600k. The deal was heavily front loaded as we barely had good enough players to pay the required 95% of the cap.

So when he first asked it would have been something like 3 years at 300k left on his contract

Then even less the year after 250k for 2

Crows offered bigger money and a 2 year extension, so effectively 800k x 4 at a club competing vs 2 years on 250k and then asking for a extension at 30 when his value would be less.

No brainer for Gibbs, he has those soft heartless games, but then he also has very dominate games

Last edited:
When he didn't come as a free agent, that should have been the end of it
Maybe it was a great unresolved issue in the Club's psyche (that he should have been ours from the beginning) that we could finally put to bed made us do the eventual trade? With that out of the way, let's hope we don't overpay like that again.

Needs a spell in the reserves.

He's only reached 30 possessions in three of his 25 games with us, compared to eight times in his final season with Carlton. We've had significant injuries in that time, so it's not like he hasn't had decent midfield minutes.

If we accept him coasting, then we're setting a terrible example for the younger players.

Carlton people will chip in; but wasn't he consistently good, and only great when it was a contract year?

Carlton people will chip in; but wasn't he consistently good, and only great when it was a contract year?

I dunno about that, but he was always inconsistent with his application, I thought that would suit him at the crows as you have the crouch boys and Sloane to do the hard work for him.

When he’s on he is a serious gun, when his off he looks like he doesn’t care

Murphy is playing in similar disinterested fashion so far this year also

Its not the Salary dump that excited me most about offloading Gibbs at end of his career. But the 2 first round draft picks that Adelaide gave up to get him. Watching him perform the way he's performed so far this season, the Gibbs trade is the gift that keeps on giving.

He signed a 5 year deal on 600k. The deal was heavily front loaded as we barely had good enough players to pay the required 95% of the cap.

So when he first asked it would have been something like 3 years at 300k left on his contract

Then even less the year after 250k for 2

Crows offered bigger money and a 2 year extension, so effectively 800k x 4 at a club competing vs 2 years on 250k and then asking for a extension at 30 when his value would be less.

No brainer for Gibbs, he has those soft heartless games, but then he also has very dominate games

The Crows are not paying Gibbs 800k a year, that is complete nonsense and sounds like something that has been made up to justify why he left.

No one in their right mind would pay 800k a year for Gibbs, certainly not the Crows who are notorious tight asses with their contracts.

Walker said that Gibbs' deal is less smaller than his deal at Carlton so I would imagine he's on 500-550k a year.

If Gibbs was only going to receive 250k per season for the final two years of his deal at Carlton then getting 550k (300k extra per season) from Adelaide would be more than enough to justify the move.

Last edited:
We need to settle Gibbs down in a role and leave him there, I feel with Sloane and Brad fit he’s getting less time in the middle and getting shuffled around a bit.

We need to make Milera a permanent mid from now on, we need his mix in the middle and I’d rather him trying to hit a target up forward than any of our mids, especially with Seeds going down.

Play Gibbs half back and let him know he’s got a month to make it his own or he’s going to the SANFL. Let’s see if that motivates him.

The Crows are not paying Gibbs 800k a year, that is complete nonsense and sounds like something that has been made up to justify why he left.

No one in their right mind would pay 800k a year for Gibbs, certainly not the Crows who are notorious tight asses with their contracts.

Walker said that Gibbs' deal is less smaller than his deal at Carlton so I would imagine he's on 500-550k a year.

If Gibbs was only going to receive 250k per season for the final two years of his deal at Carlton then getting 550k (300k extra per season) from Adelaide would be more than enough to justify the move.

That's not my mail

Plus the average wage is 350k

Gibbs is on a lot more than 550k

That's not my mail

Plus the average wage is 350k

Gibbs is on a lot more than 550k

Before you were claiming that Gibbs was only getting 250k a year in the final years of his Carlton deal, now you're arguing that there's no way he would be getting as little as 550k a year at the Crows.

His deal at Carlton was 3 million over five years (600k per year) and Walker has publicly said that Gibbs took a pay cut to come to Adelaide. The reality is that if it's been said publicly then it's more than likely the case.

Last edited:
My main beef with the Gibbs trade was his age. I wasn't expecting his form to nose dive this quickly though. I thought we'd get at least 2 decent seasons out of him. Doesn't look like it.

Back