List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
YOU SAID WE HAD TO OVERPAY, BECAUSE PLAYERS DON'T WANT TO COME TO ADELAIDE.

AND THEN TO BACK UP YOUR ARGUMENT, YOU SAID WE HAD TO OVERPAY TO THE CLUB.

MY HEAD HAS BROKEN FROM THE STUPIDITY OF THAT ARGUMENT.

You can rant as much as you want

We can only attract go home factor players history shows players will always move for coin regardless of go home with the likes of Bock, Scully, Buddy , Ablett, Betts all leaving for cash along with a host of others. Have always said this but thats just common sense no point in entering into that

Its not a crack every team is similar especially port, they got Monfries, Polec, Ebert, Schulz, Toumpas all on teh go home and Dixon and Ryder on the $$$$. Just a fact of life

As far as Gibbs he was go home, but the fact he was contracted means overpayment as carlton had nothing to lose which is proven, they havent lost anything he remains there

As far as Gibbs he was go home, but the fact he was contracted means overpayment as carlton had nothing to lose which is proven, they havent lost anything he remains there

Wrong.

Carlton are arrogant if they believe they didnt lose anything by Gibbs remaining there.

A Clubs number one goal is to win the flag. Gibbs will NEVER be a part of their next premiership side. The Blues had the opportunity to obtain two picks from us that could have led to players being a part of their next flag.

Carlton did lose back in October. They got greedy or maybe SOS's ego was too large to accept yet another Blues player wanted to defect to the Crows and would become another superstar.

Neither Mackay or Thommo are in my full strength 22, but Cheney is.

Otherwise you are leaving out someone like Hampton or Knight, which is certainly not worth paying heaps for Gibbs, as not a significant upgrade & not for very long.

Obviously that's exactly my point. If we were after a player who could rack up touches and deliver with a long leg out of the back half, wouldn't we have been persisting with Wigg in the role. I understand he didn't make the most of his opportunity to show his leg translated to AFL level in the JLT, but Kelly provides nothing like that skill. At this moment, I can't see Gibbs replacing any of the Cheney/Doedee/Kelly type from that role in the back half. So it would be a Hampton, Knight, Milera type player he pushes out. And he's absolutely only a minor upgrade on those and as you say, for how long. Hampton may bust, but I don't think the other 2 are a remote chance of that.

BTW the reference to Thommo and Mackay wasn't about our best 22, it was because I post a lot about them and quite recently I've fixated on the defensive aspect of replacing Cheney/Kelly's role. Didn't want you to think me any more of a nutjob than you already do.

I love Hampton and Knight, but at this point Gibbs most certainly is a significant upgrade on both

Not on Knight. You need to take into account the role they're playing. If Riley Knight was getting the midfield as Carlton's 3rd best, he'd be impacting games not too differently to Gibbs. Hampton yes, but his defensive work is impressive and if he starts getting his hands on the ball, he might accelerate to Gibbs level pretty quickly. And he could also turn out to be a fringe player.

Win flag.
Trade week get a FA
Declare Bryce is coming home
Ring SOS tell him mid 20s
Leave with Bryce and aflpa
Laugh at SOS
Walk away anything more.
**** Em

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
if we win the flag ... there really isnt a great need for gibbs... be nice to get but wouldnt care either way. Carlton probably come begging for a 3rd once aflpa gets involved. haha

GWS paid a first and third for a 29 year old, I reckon Carlton will easily find a buyer

But Gibbs is contracted and only wants to come home, maybe port will off load a few and come into the equation

then how about .. we get hartlett, port get gibbs, carlton get our second and ports second ??... nah scratch that .. cannot de-port hartlett i would think.

Not on Knight. You need to take into account the role they're playing. If Riley Knight was getting the midfield as Carlton's 3rd best, he'd be impacting games not too differently to Gibbs. Hampton yes, but his defensive work is impressive and if he starts getting his hands on the ball, he might accelerate to Gibbs level pretty quickly. And he could also turn out to be a fringe player.
Highly doubt it. Gibbs is averaging 27 disposals (10 more than Knight), almost 6 tackles (3.3 more than Knight), 4 inside 50's (2 more than Knight) and 5.5 clearances (4 more than Knight). I'm almost certain Knight wouldn't be able to lift his output to that level in any team's midfield, at this stage.

That said, Knight has been extremely promising this year, and will become a very good player for us

Highly doubt it. Gibbs is averaging 27 disposals (10 more than Knight), almost 6 tackles (3.3 more than Knight), 4 inside 50's (2 more than Knight) and 5.5 clearances (4 more than Knight). I'm almost certain Knight wouldn't be able to lift his output to that level in any team's midfield, at this stage.

That said, Knight has been extremely promising this year, and will become a very good player for us
knight is not playing midfield ... no half forward in the AFL will get those numbers ...

Wrong.

Carlton are arrogant if they believe they didnt lose anything by Gibbs remaining there.

A Clubs number one goal is to win the flag. Gibbs will NEVER be a part of their next premiership side. The Blues had the opportunity to obtain two picks from us that could have led to players being a part of their next flag.

Carlton did lose back in October. They got greedy or maybe SOS's ego was too large to accept yet another Blues player wanted to defect to the Crows and would become another superstar.

I agree wth what you have said, but as you just stated a clubs number 1 priority is to win a flag, it could be questioned why we wouldnt off load two firsts to give us the best chance of winning a flag this year with an improved midfield. As could it be suggested that carlton should have taken a first and second for Gibbs as they need to rebuild to get an opportunity to win a flag, so depending which side of the fence you are on gives different outcomes.

But the one thing in Carltons favor is, he is contracted if any of our top 5 players wanted out and had three years to run on their contract, what would our supporter base be saying, I can guarntee you it would be Eff U, you can pay for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can rant as much as you want

We can only attract go home factor players history shows players will always move for coin regardless of go home with the likes of Bock, Scully, Buddy , Ablett, Betts all leaving for cash along with a host of others. Have always said this but thats just common sense no point in entering into that

Its not a crack every team is similar especially port, they got Monfries, Polec, Ebert, Schulz, Toumpas all on teh go home and Dixon and Ryder on the $$$$. Just a fact of life

You can be such an idiot at times Marty. You stated that we had to pay more at the trade table to attract players. It's the dumbest thing anyone has ever posted. We might have to pay more to get the player to come here, but we don't have to give up more at the trade table. That was the point you made and it's imbecilic and now you've basically forgotten that you've made it.

yeah probably not .. but gibbs is like 8 years older... pretty sure knight will be getting the same numbers and sloane within a couple of years ... you can just see he is the same competitive beast like Sloane.

Knight will never be as good as Gibbs or have as much of a career as gibbs, thats not a dig at knights he simply isnt as good , to suggest he will just shows a biased

yeah probably not .. but gibbs is like 8 years older... pretty sure knight will be getting the same numbers and sloane within a couple of years ... you can just see he is the same competitive beast like Sloane.
I'm not so sure he's a competitive 'beast' like some make him out to be. Doesn't get a heap of contested possessions, and doesn't lay a heap of tackles at this stage in his career. Still, he is definitely courageous and hard at it, and a very smart footballer.

You can be such an idiot at times Marty. You stated that we had to pay more at the trade table to attract players. It's the dumbest thing anyone has ever posted. We might have to pay more to get the player to come here, but we don't have to give up more at the trade table. That was the point you made and it's imbecilic and now you've basically forgotten that you've made it.

So if sloane wanted oput with three years on his contract, we wouldnt want serious trade value, meaning overs?????? Even if his mum needed him home to look after her?

If you ignore the fact that Knight doesn't get anywhere near the midfield/stoppage opportunity that Gibbs does, then I must concede that you are correct. If Knight played the same amount of midfield time, he'd instantly push into the mid 20's. But he's behind a number of mids at our club, so his potential to gain those possession numbers is much less.

If you ignore the fact that Knight doesn't get anywhere near the midfield/stoppage opportunity that Gibbs does, then I must concede that you are correct. If Knight played the same amount of midfield time, he'd instantly push into the mid 20's. But he's behind a number of mids at our club, so his potential to gain those possession numbers is much less.
Would he though? As good as he has been this year, he has been victim of coming in and out of games. If he can develop that four quarter consistency soon, I'll agree with you.

Knight will never be as good as Gibbs or have as much of a career as gibbs, thats not a dig at knights he simply isnt as good , to suggest he will just shows a biased

to be honest ... for a number 1 draft pick ... either gibbs has been pretty shitty letdown .. OR .. carlton are just a really shitty club. probably the latter but im pretty sure knight has played better than gibbs in his first 50 games and achieved more. im telling you knight is tracking like sloane. Sloane is 10 times the player that gibbs is.

Yeah no thanks. Pick 40 odd (after Academy bids and free agency compo) doesn't really interest me.

You might get a set of jousting sticks for that.

Perhaps your club needs to learn to draft if you don't think pick 40 can be valuable.

Maybe we'll throw in some tips for who to use that pick on given our strike rate in the later rounds.

Win flag.
Trade week get a FA
Declare Bryce is coming home
Ring SOS tell him mid 20s
Leave with Bryce and aflpa
Laugh at SOS
Walk away anything more.
**** Em

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sounds like a plan

I think Andrew Swallow is a pretty good comparision to Gibbs. Similar age too. I am looking at how he is going now and alarm bells are going off for the Gibbs trade. Swallow has dropped off quickly as a player and has been a makeway for younger players.

I wonder if Gibbs is not far away from going through the same. If he was at a strong club his drop off may already be apparent. Its really tough to guage him as a player because at Carlton players like Kerridge and Wright look a lot better than they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back