List Mgmt. Gibbs - 2017 trade discussions! (Gibbs swapped for Wigg or 2nd)

Do you think Gibbs will be an Adelaide player by the end of this trade period?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gibbs looks to have mentally checked out. Will end up in SA next year for a first rounder and a player IMO. If the Crows come close this season but fall short they may well rue not finding a trade for Gibbs to bring him in for 2017. Is the sort of player that could have made the difference.

Why would we possibly pay that?

You will get gablett back for around that price

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gibbs looks to have mentally checked out. Will end up in SA next year for a first rounder and a player IMO. If the Crows come close this season but fall short they may well rue not finding a trade for Gibbs to bring him in for 2017. Is the sort of player that could have made the difference.

First and a player is a pretty broad statement. They'll be looking at the equivalent of our first, possibly with an exchange of picks returning to us. We won't be overpaying any more than him being contracted requires, if we were going to do that it would have happened last year. The principle that Carlton cash in more because of a perceived premiership window of ours is idiotic. Compare his age and talent to Danger, value him based on that, add a bit because Noble is an amateur at trade negotiations and a bit more because he's contracted. How far past our first rounder do you get?

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
First and a player is a pretty broad statement. They'll be looking at the equivalent of our first, possibly with an exchange of picks returning to us. We won't be overpaying any more than him being contracted requires, if we were going to do that it would have happened last year. The principle that Carlton cash in more because of a perceived premiership window of ours is idiotic. Compare his age and talent to Danger, value him based on that, add a bit because Noble is an amateur at trade negotiations and a bit more because he's contracted. How far past our first rounder do you get?

Did the hawks overpay because they were in a premiership window? No they underpaid because the players demanded they get traded there

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
2nd round pick or it's no deal. Can you blame him for not wanting to be there ?? They overpay for a dud Daisy, they rest their only ruckman and Bolton leads a bunch of kids over here to re-enact Gallipoli.

Reid may have made a blue on opening day of trade week last year, but Bryces value is dropping massively and SOS is looking like a fool.

Not only rest their only ruckman but they don't put any experience or bigger bodies around the kids

Surely Keeridge and Palmer need to play to help protect the kids from getting smashed every week

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong

Why compare him with what we paid for Dangerfield? Compare him on what we paid for Tuohy. And you don't add "a bit more" because he's contracted, you add a lot more.

The onus is on the Crows to make an offer that the Blues are happy to accept. He's a contracted player, there's no requirement for them to say "Oh, thanks for taking him off our hands" and accepting an offer that they don't consider sufficient. It's not that Carlton are holding out for more because of your perceived window, they know what they want for their player. It's more a failing on the Crows part to not go ahead and offer more because of their own perceived window. If you guys narrowly lose a Prelim I'm sure having the likes of Gallucci, Poholke and Atkins on your list will provide plenty of consolation. Between those picks and player I think you could've easily found a trade to satisfy the Blues.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
We won't be overpaying any more than him being contracted requires, if we were going to do that it would have happened last year.

Similarly, if they were going to cash in on him on the cheap they would've done it last year. They obviously consider him a required player,

Why would we possibly pay that?

Because that's likely what the Blues will ask for and to capitalise on having Walker, Betts, Jenkins, Sloane and Jacobs playing in the same group all at the middle/top end of their careers. When I heard he wanted to go home I thought it was going to be a perfect fit for you guys and that you'd have happily found what the Blues wanted for Gibbs given where your list is at. He's contracted until the end of 2019; if they ask for less, you'll pay less. But if the Crows don't pay what they're after then they won't get him.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why compare him with what we paid for Dangerfield? Compare him on what we paid for Tuohy. And you don't add "a bit more" because he's contracted, you add a lot more.

The onus is on the Crows to make an offer that the Blues are happy to accept. He's a contracted player, there's no requirement for them to say "Oh, thanks for taking him off our hands" and accepting an offer that they don't consider sufficient. It's not that Carlton are holding out for more because of your perceived window, they know what they want for their player. It's more a failing on the Crows part to not go ahead and offer more because of their own perceived window. If you guys narrowly lose a Prelim I'm sure having the likes of Gallucci, Poholke and Atkins on your list will provide plenty of consolation. Between those picks and player I think you could've easily found a trade to satisfy the Blues.

Why Tuohy, is he a missing piece midfielder? You've got the onus arse about. We get the player asking out of their current club for a price we're happy with or we walk away. If he stays at Carlton, it's no concern of ours. We don't need to overpay for him, why would we? Overpaying for missing pieces is what Port have done, you end up stuffing your list, it's a road to nowhere. Do you think you've failed every time you've offerred a reasonable price to procure an asset and the vendor has held out for an amount no one will pay? We can't control Carlton's asking price, but we can control the degree that we're prepared to overpay. There's no failing on our part, we did perfectly fine.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Similarly, if they were going to cash in on him on the cheap they would've done it last year. They obviously consider him a required player,

Because that's likely what the Blues will ask for and to capitalise on having Walker, Betts, Jenkins, Sloane and Jacobs playing in the same group all at the middle/top end of their careers. When I heard he wanted to go home I thought it was going to be a perfect fit for you guys and that you'd have happily found what the Blues wanted for Gibbs given where your list is at. He's contracted until the end of 2019; if they ask for less, you'll pay less. But if the Crows don't pay what they're after then they won't get him.

What did the Blues want?

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think most on this board agree to get Gibbs we had to overpay it's just how much we overpay. Some would consider a first and second overpaying and that two firsts is too much of an overpayment. It's all about opinion.

But there are only a few that believe we should pay the real value, but they aren't understanding the fact he is contracted

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Rockford , what are you prepared to pay for GAJ? He'd look really good going through your midfield, like us, he'd be your 3rd or 4th best with a fully fit list. You just find what the Suns are asking right? So your first and second and the deal is done nice and quick on day one?

We won't trade for him, he won't return to Geelong. There's a fair difference between Gibbs returning to Adelaide (which the Crows would like to happen) and GAJ returning to Geelong (which we're ambivalent about).

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
I think most on this board agree to get Gibbs we had to overpay it's just how much we overpay. Some would consider a first and second overpaying and that two firsts is too much of an overpayment. It's all about opinion.

But there are only a few that believe we should pay the real value, but they aren't understanding the fact he is contracted

This is exactly what I'm getting at, the Blues want more than he's worth. The Crows can pay what they want (more than he's worth) or not add him to their list. And what I'm saying (for Crows' supporters) is what would you have been willing to give up for Gibbs in hindsight if you just lose a Prelim or GF? Two first rounders every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reportedly two first rounders. Which is overs, I agree. I still think there was a deal to be done and if you guys had offered your first, second and Atkins.. who knows what would've happened? I don't think he'd be your 3rd or 4th best mid. Who do you have ahead of Gibbs if he was on your list?

First, second and Atkins? Don't be an idiot. Sloane, Brad Crouch and arguably, on role, Matt Crouch. He'd be our 3rd or 4th depending on your view regarding the need for a week in, week out 30 possession extractor.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
We won't trade for him, he won't return to Geelong. There's a fair difference between Gibbs returning to Adelaide (which the Crows would like to happen) and GAJ returning to Geelong (which we're ambivalent about).

Sorry, he wants to come home, he's a footballer, he's contracted, he'd be your 3rd-4th best mid, you're in a flag window and you don't want him. I don't understand, are you insane or did your theory on, "just pay up", get blown out of the water because almost the exact same scenario was applied to your club.

I just really don't want you guys to get real close in 2018 and for the sake of a couple of picks missed out because you didn't value GAJ enough. Now, that sounds incredibly stupid to you, doesn't it? So, now you understand how you sound to us with your 'concern'.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is exactly what I'm getting at, the Blues want more than he's worth. The Crows can pay what they want (more than he's worth) or not add him to their list. And what I'm saying (for Crows' supporters) is what would you have been willing to give up for Gibbs in hindsight if you just lose a Prelim or GF? Two first rounders every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

That is the balancing act, how much of a punt to take, the crows probably did offer more than fair value but how much more do you need to offer.

Then there is the unknown questions would he have helped us go the whole way, it's a punt, personally I would roll the dice on this one

As for your suggesting re Ablett and Gibbs both clubs don't have to do the deal but both clubs would like to get the players, As was proven with Gibbs not being traded. No real difference between the two, just how much each club is willing to punt. Would Ablett improve your team, of course he would as would Gibbs ours

Crowstar

Club Legend
Jun 1, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Reportedly two first rounders. Which is overs, I agree. I still think there was a deal to be done and if you guys had offered your first, second and Atkins.. who knows what would've happened? I don't think he'd be your 3rd or 4th best mid. Who do you have ahead of Gibbs if he was on your list?
Atkins for Gibbs like for like is about right. Actually nah Atkins For Gibbs and their second. Done deal.

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
First, second and Atkins? Don't be an idiot. Sloane, Brad Crouch and arguably, on role, Matt Crouch. He'd be our 3rd or 4th depending on your view regarding the need for a week in, week out 30 possession extractor.

Idiot? Nice. You might've got a pick coming back the other way but offering a first rounder and a minor pick upgrade on the cusp of the 2nd and 3rd round didn't get it done. If the Crows just miss this season it's a failing and Gibbs may have been the difference.

Gibbs would be your second best mid after Sloane.

Best of luck with your season.

crowsup

Premium Platinum
Nov 24, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe we should have asked for a guarantee from Carlton.
Lets see?:- 1) 2 first and Atkins if we win the next grand final or a return of one first and Atkins if we only make a prelim? 2) We give Gibbs back and get all our payments back if we don't make it to the finals?
Or was there no guarantee that having Gibbs would give us a grand final?
I'm pretty sure that if the club thought that, getting Gibbs, would guarantee at least a grand final, they would have paid the 2 firsts for him.
I guess that most of the people that would have paid 2 first for Gibbs, are very likely to have bet on Carlton last night because of the possible return. I mean, one has to take chances some times? Doesn't one?

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
Maybe we should have asked for a guarantee from Carlton.
Lets see?:- 1) 2 first and Atkins if we win the next grand final or a return of one first and Atkins if we only make a prelim? 2) We give Gibbs back and get all our payments back if we don't make it to the finals?
Or was there no guarantee that having Gibbs would give us a grand final?
I'm pretty sure that if the club thought that, getting Gibbs, would guarantee at least a grand final, they would have paid the 2 firsts for him.
I guess that most of the people that would have paid 2 first for Gibbs, are very likely to have bet on Carlton last night because of the possible return. I mean, one has to take chances some times? Doesn't one?

Then Atkins plays a starring role in our GF and send him packing????? Great for team morale.....

Plus i think those sort of "pre arranged" deals may be illegal....

Is that you Triggy? :p

Rockford

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 22, 2006
Halls Head
AFL Club
Geelong
Sorry, he wants to come home, he's a footballer, he's contracted, he'd be your 3rd-4th best mid, you're in a flag window and you don't want him. I don't understand, are you insane or did your theory on, "just pay up", get blown out of the water because almost the exact same scenario was applied to your club.

I just really don't want you guys to get real close in 2018 and for the sake of a couple of picks missed out because you didn't value GAJ enough. Now, that sounds incredibly stupid to you, doesn't it? So, now you understand how you sound to us with your 'concern'.

Do you really not see the difference between Ablett and Gibbs? You guys trading for Gibbs to have him on your list in the season he turns 28 and us trading for Ablett in the year he turns 34 :rolleyes:

I thought this was the draft/trading board. I was wrong which puts the juvenile responses in context. I'm not saying "I don't want you to miss out" but I'm not about to get dragged down to your level or engage in random straw man arguments. Again, best of luck with your season and getting Gibbs.

Sep 7, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Rams, UCLA Bruins
The more gibbs plays the less hes worth. His form this year resembles a player who is disinterested. Hes just going through the motions.

Can you blame him? He was dicked around by SOS and co. I know they wanted "fair" value (and of course they were going to overvalue him) but this could be just 1 more thing that sticks another knife into Carlton's culture

He wanted a trade for family reasons and gets held to ransom. I guess he was dumb enough to sign such a long contract, but you need to look after the needs of the people at times too. I didn't expect to get him for free, but i'm still surprised we couldn't meet in the middle

If i was a young player at Carlton, there is no way i'd be signing anything over a 2 year deal. They are an absolute rabble

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back