10k Posts
Jun 10, 2009
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels Beaufort Crows
From what I saw this year.
Crouch ain't winning no Brownlow in 2017..
Just no progression. He's forgotten how to get on his bike. Seems happy to stand back n watch. Dishes out a few handballs if the pill comes his way.
Seriously...do you actually watch Adelaide games?

Sure Brad's lacked touch and finesse and he's not had the impact we need from him but that bolded is just pure and simple bullshit...anyone that watches the game can see he's trying his guts out, his tackling in particular was ferocious. You seem to forget he was coming from a long way back with fitness and match practice. Given he stays injury free you'll be eating those words sooner than you think.

Last edited:

KnobHead

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Ayahuasca Island
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone think that Betts could be the reason Carlton are stuck in? Are they looking for adequate compensation for Gibbs or wanting an outright win for Betts?

It seems very personal

no, that ain't it. more that carlton really need Gibbs & don't want him to go & he's in contract. carlton bats short in the midfield & don't won't to expose cripps anymore.

put it this way - if Tex had 3 years to run on contract & said he wanted to go back to NSW & play for sydney, would Adelaide be ok with it? doubt it, & nor should you. he's very important to your side, on a lengthy contract because your team structure is dependent on him.

anyways,very unlikely a deal will be done. you keep your draft picks & gibbs stays. the only thing anyone losses is a bit of angst and that's it.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Does anyone think that Betts could be the reason Carlton are stuck in? Are they looking for adequate compensation for Gibbs or wanting an outright win for Betts?

It seems very personal

I don't see it like that at all, here's a snapshot of what it probably comes down to.

The news that Gibbs was open to a trade has virtually come out of left field for most Blues fans as they were never expecting him to leave .... well ever really.

Former #1 pick now in his prime (he has not always delivered to this level, I'm more than aware of that fact) based on finally working under a coach who has used his skillset to best advantage.

He'll leave a hole in our list, that is undeniable, but we aren't contesting finals now either which makes it palatable trade from our end.

By the same token, we don't want to give him away either, we don't have too many players with "real currency" as it is hence the reason why we believe we should be getting full market value for him.

The issue is that the supporters of both clubs have vastly different views on what that value is.

Brilliant post and thank you. All that points stuff does my head in.

So we're still well and truly alive here and also GWS will also need currency now for Delidio.

Of course the alternate deal is Carlton on trade Geelong's 2017 first round pick to GWS for Marchbank. GWS on trade that pick to Richmond for Deledio.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Given they are very happy with the Tuohy trade because it gives them a first rounder to deal with GWS without us - it shows it is personal. Tuohy is a pretty good player (8th in their B&F) and they gave him away for about a 5 pick upgrade from the second round - go from 22 to maybe 16-17. I dont even in count Smedts as he is spud and wouldnt be in the Cats best 30. But they see the trade as a win because it gives leverage against - very dirty on the last few years. We are paying for their list managers errors

We get offered a first-round pick for a player we developed from the rookie list and you think it is "personal" ??

C'mon mate, you are drawing a very long bow there !!

LoBu

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thanks for the well thought out reply.

It is obviously difficult for me to take off the Victorian and Blues goggles and be neutral.

I do think that Sticks leaving as president (which basically means Sticks no longer being at the club every day from dawn to dark) has had an impact on Gibbs.

Sticks was his rock all through his career. He is gone.

Gibbs does not have a lot of close friends among the playing group so losing a close family friend contact on a day to day basis in Sticks would have had a big impact.

The Gibbs family name is HUGE in Adelaide, everyone knows it. I am not kidding when I say much to my chagrin, that Gibbs will go from a top 50-100 AFL footballer for the Blues to the somewhere in the top 50 AFLplayers for Adelaide. It is all set up and points that way. Name another club where Gibbs would play better? It is the natural fit.

He will be back HOME.

When Gibbs fires it will hurt just as much every game as it does for Betts.

He's a perfect fit, 10 years too late but still a few years in him yet.
I don't begrudge Dangerfield going home either, like you say he's at home, no doubt happier day to day. It was disappointing what we got for him, but you move on.

headache1

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Apr 10, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings, Arsenal
Of course the alternate deal is Carlton on trade Geelong's 2017 first round pick to GWS for Marchbank. GWS on trade that pick to Richmond for Deledio.

According to the post that Peter J was responding to, that would still leave them short of picks to get their academy kids.

19thcrow

All Australian
Aug 29, 2010
Gippsland
AFL Club
Adelaide
Brilliant post and thank you. All that points stuff does my head in.

So we're still well and truly alive here and also GWS will also need currency now for Delidio.
The pick 15 I removed was for Delidio after that and pick 2 is for McGrath Gws have only 1640pts to get 2 gun draftees at around 2500pts combined. GWS need pick 13 unless Geelong 2017 1st goes to Gws from Blues then onto Richmond for Delidio. Pick 15 more likely for Delidio as Geelong will demand a 1st rounder for Caddy which cats 2017 1st all the way back to them is strange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I said if the shoe was on the other foot ie if we were in Carlton's position and they were in ours.
Mate I think we are at cross purposes, going at it from different perspectives.

I get that my inside beast comment was OTT when measured against season stats. I note all of the averages you've provided.

After that game v WCE and also the Syd game I felt like chucking stats out of the window as so many of our guys rack up great numbers but wet the bed when the heat is really on. It's actually been going on for years.

I resolved after that I didn't care much for averages anymore, what I cared about was who did we have when the guns were roaring (borrowed from my workplace ;)) - so when I looked at Gibbs' performances against the big midfields I could see a player who can bring it when it matters.

So when I was talking inside beast I was really referring to specific games not averages, games where he was absolutely an inside beast and he drove his team to a win or a close loss. What I see is he has that ability. Now I accept he's been inconsistent and you can rightly point to that. I think that's had a lot to do with how he's been managed and that he's only been in the best role for him for 3 years.

If Gibbs can become more consistent he is a genuine match winner and that's proven. As much as I like Lyons, even on his best day, he simply can't be that player.

As to him being the difference between top and 4th, clearly no one player is the difference, Geelong proved that. There needs to be a push from beneath from guys like Knight, Milera and Wigg plus there needs to be improvement from B Crouch in particular - all those guys will benefit from Gibbs and Sloane driving the bus. But it has to be a whole of team effort.

xchadders

Premiership Player
May 26, 2012
tasmania
AFL Club
Adelaide
I might be ok with throwing in our 2017 first but only if we get thier 2017 second in return.

It's a gamble but it ultimately may only be a slight downgrade of 5-6 spots as we should at least hold ground and there's a good chance they slide with sides like GC, Ess and Fremantle expected to rise up the ladder.

I was completely against it at first but it might be a risk worth taking.

i think they just gave their 2017 away in the geelong trade?

Sam_Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't agree with most of what you say, but you are spot on here. Trading Laird or Smith would be dumb as

You know, a like would have been sufficient instead of punching me in the guts.

Your posting sucks as well but thanks.

Last edited:
Here's the points math

GWS have pick 15 + 31 + 37 + 51 + 55 + 60 + 69 with value. That totals to 2862 points.

Two bids come in at 6 and 7. That would require 2716 points.

No room is left for their other academy players, which could be bid on in top 25, unless they trade in another pick.

Let's say they get bids at 24 and 25. They need another 1232 points. Guess what that is equivalent to? Pick 13.

If no other academy players are on the radar of GWS, they don't really need pick 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back