Gibbs requests trade to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tend to agree

The analogue if not doing the Gibbs deals is not doing no deals at all

They are different choices, and different paths to different outcomes

Shrugging shoulders and saying we tried for Gibbs didn't happen is bordering on negligence if nothing is done instead

We have a need, it can't ignored

Think of it like Christmas Eve and you haven't got Christmas lunch sorted.

You go to the central market and find the best turkey you can. The wife and kids agree it's the best. But because it's nearing closing time you expect a discount. Butcher says no way, this is the best bird here and you're risking toast for Christmas lunch.

Stand off. You negotiate the best price you think is fair.

Now if you overpay and spend all your money so there is no food for Boxing Day, the family is going to be pissed

If you bury your head in the sand and don't agree a fair deal for the turkey, whilst the market shuts the family is going to be pissed

You can't serve vegemite on toast for Christmas lunch and say it's not your fault cause the butcher wouldn't relent

Your wife hits you over the head, takes the kids, moves in with her mother whilst yelling at you "there were other ******* butchers that's why it's called a market you moron. Why didn't you go to another stand before it closed???!!?

I should have married your best friend Bob, and have been shagging your brother"

Moral of the story, don't come home without some turkey; and especially don't whine like a little bitch it's not your fault. Yes it is. The butcher was an arsehole but you're a moron
Lol, easily your best post of the year! :)

Are you a butcher? ;)

Honestly can't disagree with most of that and the LM point is well made.

In some respects I think this is an odd situation in so far as once a player gets to 28 you should really know what he brings in its entirety. I still think there is a bit of blue sky to come with Gibbs even at this later stage of his career.

That's just a hunch
I'll happily eat Sanders Vegemite toast if Bryce exceeds my expectations :)

Yet they didn't want Lyons, who frankly would be in their best 10 players first year.

Smedts!! NFI No wonder they fluctuate from s**t to basket case.

Latest picture of Carlton recruit...

SPUD_Potato_750_bottle_02-200x300.jpg

I agree that our list management has been strange this trade period. We had a glaring issue with our list and we have basically 5 hours tomorrow to fix it, and by all reports we will only get one good mid at the expense of trading out Lyons.

I would have thought a better strategy would be to replace Thommo and retain Lyons unless you could trade in two mids to replace both.

We should have taken on Rockliff, just like we should have paid a second round pick for Bennell last year. Take on a risk and get some potential reward.

Yeaaaaahhh Bennell didnt play one game this year thou? There is take a punt, and then there is TAKE A PUNT.. Don't be surprised if you see bennell end up in the same situation as Yarran. Exactly the same traits and habits away from the footy oval.

db1358-serious-coke-lines.jpg

Be so glad when this s**t is over. If we throw 2 first rounders for a 27 year old then I'm done. Cautiously hoping it's a first and 2nd and that we can wrangle something more than just Gibbs on his own.

You're more than welcome to have Jones, White, Tutt, graham, Everitt or Jaksch. Hell, I'll personal drive them over the border :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it possible that Carlton are stalling so they can get March bank for Geelong's first rounder next year, likely 14-18 so they can then keep 13 this year for themselves? As soon as the Marchbank deal goes through, they'll pull the trigger on Gibbs trade

I agree that our list management has been strange this trade period. We had a glaring issue with our list and we have basically 5 hours tomorrow to fix it, and by all reports we will only get one good mid at the expense of trading out Lyons.

I would have thought a better strategy would be to replace Thommo and retain Lyons unless you could trade in two mids to replace both.

We should have taken on Rockliff, just like we should have paid a second round pick for Bennell last year. Take on a risk and get some potential reward.

I think you need to look at it a bit more holistically and realistically in a way. Thompson was a token re-signing and he will likely spend more time in SANFL than AFL. Transition into coaching and provide leadership to the group especially youngsters.

Lyons is a prime time currency. People talk about how he is a huge loss and how he had a great season. He has had a great season because he got consistent games and game time. He is no different or better player in 2016 than he was in 2015. Project his stats from 2015 or even 2014 to the time on ground he got this year and they are very similar. His saving grace was Dangerfield leaving and burrial of the sub vest.

I have been a Lyons fan for longer than it has been popular around these parts but I think that he can be covered by one of handful players coming through the ranks. I think CEY can provide similar stats. Ut with a bigger body. He might not hit the scoreboard as often as Lyons but he can be just as good around stoppages as Lyons. Plus he is a bigger and stronger body around the ball. People forget how good he was in 2015 before injuries. Walshy loved his work around stoppages and his ground balls. Knight will come into the side and if anyone was paying attention, he played a lot more inside in the SANFL this year than he did in the past. People will carry on about it being the SANFL but it is an indicator of what the club wants him to be at AFL level.

Cameron was on target to play more on the wing this year. He spent a lot of time in PS training on the wing and around the ball in match simulation work. He copped a knee injury jest bfore the season started and needed a surgery which meant he started behing the 8 ball in temrs of fitness. We all saw glimpses in the second half of the year how damaging he can be in that role.

Bottom line is I am comfortable that Lyons can be replaced by players already on the list that are more talented and have a higher upside but are albeit less experienced at AFL level.

Gibbs will come in and cover Thompson's spot. I am still confident the deal will get done. No inside info but confident.

Our problem in the midfield is the lack of variety and a touch of class. By removing Lyons and Thompson, adding Gibbs and promoting the rest from within will result in a better more balanced midfield. Pipedreams of Gibbs and Rockliff were just that. Pipedreams! We haven't even shown interest in Rockliff at all but people kept hoping. We targeted Gibbs and I am still confident that we will get him. The rest will come from improving withing. Crouch brothers and the rest of the midfielders other young midfielders have played 50 games or less.

Tend to agree

The analogue if not doing the Gibbs deals is not doing no deals at all

They are different choices, and different paths to different outcomes

Shrugging shoulders and saying we tried for Gibbs didn't happen is bordering on negligence if nothing is done instead

We have a need, it can't ignored

Think of it like Christmas Eve and you haven't got Christmas lunch sorted.

You go to the central market and find the best turkey you can. The wife and kids agree it's the best. But because it's nearing closing time you expect a discount. Butcher says no way, this is the best bird here and you're risking toast for Christmas lunch.

Stand off. You negotiate the best price you think is fair.

Now if you overpay and spend all your money so there is no food for Boxing Day, the family is going to be pissed

If you bury your head in the sand and don't agree a fair deal for the turkey, whilst the market shuts the family is going to be pissed

You can't serve vegemite on toast for Christmas lunch and say it's not your fault cause the butcher wouldn't relent

Your wife hits you over the head, takes the kids, moves in with her mother whilst yelling at you "there were other ******* butchers that's why it's called a market you moron. Why didn't you go to another stand before it closed???!!?

I should have married your best friend Bob, and have been shagging your brother"

Moral of the story, don't come home without some turkey; and especially don't whine like a little bitch it's not your fault. Yes it is. The butcher was an arsehole but you're a moron

Are you saying that Gibbs is a turkey? I thought that you liked him. ;)

Seriously...do you actually watch Adelaide games?

Sure Brad's lacked touch and finesse and he's not had the impact we need from him but that bolded is just pure and simple bullshit...anyone that watches the game can see he's trying his guts out, his tackling in particular was ferocious. You seem to forget he was coming from a long way back with fitness and match practice. Given he stays injury free you'll be eating those words sooner than you think.

Well said. Brad was non weight bearing on one leg for a very long time. The muscle atrophy would have been enormous. If he'd done an ACL people would have probably had a greater appreciation of this as it's a more "usual" injury and we've seen that players take a while to come back from it. Brad's circumstances are really no different. He tried his guts out and showed flashes of brilliance but this year was all about nursing him through it and building some match fitness and touch so he can hit a full preseason. Fingers crossed he suffers no minor set backs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back