Votes: 69 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
As per link... :eek:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So the final washup with everything that is included (and all the things that got linked to the nightmare behemoth that is the Gibbs trade). Italics are the player selected from the draft picks. Other clubs aren't included on this list though the true winner of this trade is probably Geelong.

Adelaide gained: Gibbs + 2018 2nd (28, Hamill) + 2019 2nd round (27, Worrell) + 2020 third (Fremantle) + 2018 1st (McHenry) + McAdam + 2019 fifth (no one)
Adelaide lost: 10 (O'Brien) + 16 (Richards) + 73 (Schumacher) + 2018 2nd (24, Hill) + 2019 2nd (25, Gould)+ 2019 fifth round pick (unused) + McGovern + 2019 third (51, Riccardi)

Carlton gained: 10 (O'Brien) + 30 (De Koning) + 73 (Schumacher) + Kennedy + McGovern + Pittonet
Carlton lost: Gibbs + 2018 2nd (24, Hill), 2018 third (44, McInerney) + McAdam selection rights + 2018 2nd (26, Foley) + 2018 second (28, Jordan)

I think that's the summary of the two major clubs, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a trade which really changed the complexion of the league as much as this trade did. I gave up after a while chasing all the links because fu** that.

In terms of winner? It certainly wasn't football. That's for sure.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit 1: Thanks to Golumless for the providing the Gibbs trade washup below:
Edit 2: Included farewell video. Very emotional and heartfelt speech. Say what you will, it's sad to see an end of career.

Last edited:

I just posted this news to a port mate and he let me have it re the Gibbs deal and how bad it was for us. Can anyone summarise the deal in its totality. Was it that bad for us in the final wash up?

I assume the fair well game was part of the settlement?

He's not really a club legend or anything, I wouldn't have done it. But I don't support them in general.
I don't think they'd have done it if we had played Carlton already. It should be Eddie's last game too, but Teague has put that flag in the ground

I just posted this news to a port mate and he let me have it re the Gibbs deal and how bad it was for us. Can anyone summarise the deal in its totality. Was it that bad for us in the final wash up?
A first rounder plus a bunch of pick downgrades, or 2 first rounders less a bunch of pick upgrades, whichever way you want to look at it. Points-wise, about the equivalent of a high-ish first rounder.

Yes, was bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume the fair well game was part of the settlement?

He's not really a club legend or anything, I wouldn't have done it. But I don't support them in general.
It would be a little point as part of it I'm sure. I'd rather he not play but whatever if it gets the issue resolved and we can all move on then I'd cop it.

A first rounder plus a bunch of pick downgrades, or 2 first rounders less a bunch of pick upgrades, whichever way you want to look at it. Points-wise, about the equivalent of a high-ish first rounder.

Yes, was bad.

I was more referring to what we did with that the picks we got back and what Carlton did with theirs etc

I'm not strongly against it in this specific case because he'll be in for Mackay anyway. I wouldn't have dropped a kid for him.
Given what we've seen from Nicks this season I wouldn't be shocked if it went like "We will give you a game if the opportunity arises*. Cue Mackay getting suspended for the first time in his career

Back