News Gibbs to retire after final game against the Blues

Does Gibbs deserve a farewell game?

• Yes

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he'll play a blinder...then there will be talk from Kane about why we didn't play him earlier in the season and that he should go on next year.
No chance I suggest this! ;)

According to Jake Niall, his salary will be payed out of our 2021 cap (unless I've misunderstood). This is what I was expecting all along. We free up a position, but keep paying him next year.
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/kreuzer-announces-his-afl-retirement-20200910-p55u6z.html
From AFL Rules effective 9 May 2019

28.22 Lump Sum Payments on Termination of Contracts
Unless otherwise determined by the Investigations Manager, all lump sum payments to
a Player on termination of his Contract of Service shall be deemed to be Football
Payments to the Player in the year in which such contract was terminated.

Interesting... a fluff piece on Roo, a hose down on CM... the Advertiser owned by AFC Media these days?

Totally off topic for this thread, but Im starting to suspect Roo is being positioned to replace Chappy.
To be honest, considering the entire coverage of the camp has been from one perspective so far and has been trying to generate as much unproven controversy as possible (nudity! Wife swapping!) It's reasonable to try and get another perspective to balance the discussion.

Considering the volume of hit pieces on the Crows over the last couple of years in all media, I'd hardly say two articles even gets close to accusations of being soft.

Like Edwards did.
Edwards needed the extra recovery time between games, because his body was coping with both the rigours of AFL and recovering from cancer. His body wasn't able to do both when he was playing every week, but the extra week of recovery gave him the energy he needed to perform well in his farewell game.

Gibbs isn't recoverying from cancer, as far as I'm aware...

Sorry for the intrusion .... not trolling .... Gibbs was a favourite of mine and its just sad to see an end like this for him.
In an alternative reality I would have very much liked to have seen the initial trade go ahead and see if he would have been the difference in that GF with the Tigers .... would have preferred you guys to have won. My hate for them is way greater than it is for your club.

Just don’t know why Gibbs and the Crows didn’t work .... was it the camp or his personal life? There were rumours why he left Melbourne and went to Adelaide more personal than club related ... so maybe that’s it. I know when ur personal life turns crap your professional life tends to follow.

The only thing I know was that when that trade didn’t go through his next year was brilliant and for that I will always have @ soft spot for him.

Glad his final game is with us as I am sure, in his heart, he is still true blue.

Would have liked to have seen him turn it up for you guys just like Eddie. I’ll admit hated it but just couldn’t hate him .... what a gem of a player and human being.

As for that camp, my god, talk about absolute poison ... the what, where and how will never be known which is a shame .... those at fault need to be nailed to a wall. Cannot even imagine how u all feel as the stink is still there and just keeps on getting regurgitate.

Glad to see u guys have a positive end to the season .... looking forward to tomorrow.

Go Blues ....

Bryce thanks for the memories.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry for the intrusion .... not trolling .... Gibbs was a favourite of mine and its just sad to see an end like this for him.
In an alternative reality I would have very much liked to have seen the initial trade go ahead and see if he would have been the difference in that GF with the Tigers .... would have preferred you guys to have won. My hate for them is way greater than it is for your club.

Just don’t know why Gibbs and the Crows didn’t work .... was it the camp or his personal life? There were rumours why he left Melbourne and went to Adelaide more personal than club related ... so maybe that’s it. I know when ur personal life turns crap your professional life tends to follow.

The only thing I know was that when that trade didn’t go through his next year was brilliant and for that I will always have @ soft spot for him.

Glad his final game is with us as I am sure, in his heart, he is still true blue.

Would have liked to have seen him turn it up for you guys just like Eddie. I’ll admit hated it but just couldn’t hate him .... what a gem of a player and human being.

As for that camp, my god, talk about absolute poison ... the what, where and how will never be known which is a shame .... those at fault need to be nailed to a wall. Cannot even imagine how u all feel as the stink is still there and just keeps on getting regurgitate.

Glad to see u guys have a positive end to the season .... looking forward to tomorrow.

Go Blues ....

Bryce thanks for the memories.

Probably just age and wear and tear on the body more than anything sinister if I had to guess.

Probably just age and wear and tear on the body more than anything sinister if I had to guess.
Thing is he is only 31 and came off one of his best years at the blues before being traded and it just went downhill from there. You could be right but that’s a massive drop off.
my likely guess is it was the camp, personal problems, difficulty with the different coach/culture? and age all rolled into one.

Shame really .... I am sure for both Bryce and Adelaide it would have either been better to have ponied up first time around and got him in then .... it may well have been completely different for your club. Real sliding door moment ..... we will never know but if Gibbs was that missing piece in the GF and you won, then no camp and possibly a b@ck to back flag? Hard to say and we will never know ... one thing is for sure it would have been better for all parties concerned (Bryce and Crows) to forget about the trade when it didn’t happen.

From my point of view I could still see Gibbs playing for a couple more years if he was still at CFC.

I am sure he will look back with regret that he left CFC, but even more regret that your list manager could not get the deal across the line first time round.

Thing is he is only 31 and came off one of his best years at the blues before being traded and it just went downhill from there. You could be right but that’s a massive drop off.
my likely guess is it was the camp, personal problems, difficulty with the different coach/culture? and age all rolled into one.

Shame really .... I am sure for both Bryce and Adelaide it would have either been better to have ponied up first time around and got him in then .... it may well have been completely different for your club. Real sliding door moment ..... we will never know but if Gibbs was that missing piece in the GF and you won, then no camp and possibly a b@ck to back flag? Hard to say and we will never know ... one thing is for sure it would have been better for all parties concerned (Bryce and Crows) to forget about the trade when it didn’t happen.

From my point of view I could still see Gibbs playing for a couple more years if he was still at CFC.

I am sure he will look back with regret that he left CFC, but even more regret that your list manager could not get the deal across the line first time round.
He never wanted to leave Carlton.

His parents wanted him home, as did his wife.

He personally did not want to.

His family is part of the broader "SA Footy Family". As is his former manager and our current list manager. So they got their boy home.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

His family is part of the broader "SA Footy Family". As is his former manager and our current list manager. So they got their boy home.

That makes things a little clearer .... thx.

No winners here, he was a talent. I remember when we played finals with Ratten as coach he was the star of the elimination final and hurt his shoulder with like three minutes to go. I think we would have beaten West Coast the week after if he had played and gotten to the prelim.

Ahh well, all water under the bridge now. Hope he enjoys his retirement.

And that's why a 30 game disaster gets a pity game whereas a 300 game Edwards was originally denied . And that was back in the Craig days where we valued seniors and weren't ruthless at selection. And he still wanted Edwards to miss a seeya game. This crew values Gibbs contribution to the club more than it did Edwards. How ****ed up is that? Gibbs >>>>>>>>Edwards at our club. Ironically, this proves Macca's concerns. Gibbs is a rock star, worthy of adulation, Atkins leaves without thanks or fanfare after 100 games and delivering so much more value.

We're still ****ed. Culture hasn't changed.

That makes things a little clearer .... thx.

No winners here, he was a talent. I remember when we played finals with Ratten as coach he was the star of the elimination final and hurt his shoulder with like three minutes to go. I think we would have beaten West Coast the week after if he had played and gotten to the prelim.

Ahh well, all water under the bridge now. Hope he enjoys his retirement.
Just because you mentioned it a few times - it's obviously now nothing to do with the camp.

Just because you mentioned it a few times - it's obviously now nothing to do with the camp.
I wonder how the boys treated him coming in ... I know Tex was a big factor in helping to lure him across .... maybe its just as simple as Geoffa said. Doesn't take a genius that whatever the reason he was not enjoying his football the last couple of years and that translated onto the field.
I would argue that if everything was right in the world with him, whatever the issues are, he still had a couple of good years of footy in him.
Something, whatever it is, has left him a shell of what he was and that was a very talented footballer.

He would also have been in denial about the depth of his gambling issue. Wife and dad would have known he was hitting the $300k comoenent of his Blues contract and that we'd pay twice that for the rest plus 2 more. Gibbs would never have wanted to leave Carlton becsuse he's a degenerate gambler and would have refused to accept his gambling was impacting his life. That's what gamblaholics do. Of course, without fixing the issue, the extra cash was all burned anyway. Because, you know, Gibbs is a degenerate gambler. He cashed in on us, which is fair enough, we're adults. But gifting this parasite a game ahead of a deserving kid is an absolute disgrace.

but, sadly, unsurprising. It's how we roll.

Back