News Gibbs to retire after final game against the Blues

Does Gibbs deserve a farewell game?

• Yes

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • No

Votes: 69 48.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It certainly didn’t work out and I can understand people not being happy about him being given a last game and carried off by the opposition but why do you say he not thankful?
He’s certainly said publicly this week he is thankful, so wondering what makes you say he’s not?

Can you imagine how big a news storm it would be if he didn't claim to be thankful? Scripted PR statements like that are something I take with a huge grain of salt.

His actions however don't show a whole lot of gratitude. Gratitude in my mind would be shown by him busting a gut everytime he wears Crows colours; yet so many times when he was playing at the top level I saw him avoiding the tough stuff; avoiding getting too physical or doing team first things to help out others (shepherding etc).

Can you imagine how big a news storm it would be if he didn't claim to be thankful? Scripted PR statements like that are something I take with a huge grain of salt.

His actions however don't show a whole lot of gratitude. Gratitude in my mind would be shown by him busting a gut everytime he wears Crows colours; yet so many times when he was playing at the top level I saw him avoiding the tough stuff; avoiding getting too physical or doing team first things to help out others (shepherding etc).
Isn’t that the type of player you saw him as at the blues though?

Last edited:
Isn’t that the type of player your saw him as at the blues though?

Yes, but I don't think he ever acted particularly grateful towards Carlton either (as much as he loved it there), he acted very entitled right from the start. I know quite a few Carlton supporters on their board who I think would agree with that assessment based on posts they made at the time of him leaving.

And yet I noticed you downvoted the idea of Crows chairing betts off that was posted a little while ago.

so why don't you take your classy hypocrisy back to your club of eternal mediocrity.
Firstly Betts didnt retire. Secondly the club dynamics are totally different.

You don't have to be so rude in a mutual appreciation thread.

Should change the V to P to.

Yes, but I don't think he ever acted particularly grateful towards Carlton either (as much as he loved it there), he acted very entitled right from the start. I know quite a few Carlton supporters on their board who I think would agree with that assessment based on posts they made at the time of him leaving.
I can understand your viewpoint as you were strong on not recruiting him before we did.
However it feels like you were disappointed in the way he played when you should be the least surprised/disappointed out of all of us.
I don’t think we need to character assassinate him now.
The chapter is now closed.

Last kick of his career for goal and he missed. Ended the way most romances do, through for a behind..
All I could remember while he was lining up was the Carlton poster that came in here last week and said he was automatic at set shots while thinking "He'll miss this."

Firstly Betts didnt retire. Secondly the club dynamics are totally different.

You don't have to be so rude in a mutual appreciation thread.

Should change the V to P to.

badly made penis jokes are exactly what I'd expect from your level of wit.

Also where exactly was this considered a 'mutual appreciation' thread? From what I can see the post is tagged as 'news'.

Finally Betts did retire, he retired to Carlton. Carlton aren't a real football club, it's the equivalent of when our players retire and go play other lower level football for fun.

I can understand your viewpoint as you were strong on not recruiting him before we did.
However it feels like you were disappointed in the way he played when you should be the least surprised/disappointed out of all of us.

I'm not surprised you're right.

I'm just confused as to why we threw him a going away party with his old club.

That’s more on the club though that him I reckon.

Oh I agree. To be clear my anger is 100% at the club. I actually care about the club so I can get angry at it; I don't care at all about Gibbs so he isn't worth any sort of emotional investment at all.

So we've become whipped dogs so much that we're willing to allow him to celebrate his explotation of us by allowing us to exploit us for his own gain one last time?

I really don't understand the mindset of people who are so ok with it. You really think Carlton would do the same for us if situations were reversed?

It is pathetic how many favors the AFC has done Gibbs despite him doing absolutely nothing to deserve it, not being at all thankful for it and taking advantage of it at every opportunity.
Gibbs should not have been given a game by us imo. I presume it was a request by Gibbs and Carlton but I hope it was only given to reduce his payout. The positives out of the trade are Hamill and McAdam. I do feel it would have been better if he just walked off the ground. He was never a good player for us and he should have only been chaired off the ground if he was still a carlton player. The thing that really pissed me off was when he hastily pulled off his crows guernsey and exchanged it for a carlton one. Was definitely pointed at our club that he wished he had never changed clubs. I also wish he had never changed clubs and wish we had not paid out 2.5-3million on a player that was never fully invested in the club other than the coin he received. Anyway I'm glad the whole disaster has come to an end.

Last edited:
I'm not surprised you're right.

I'm just confused as to why we threw him a going away party with his old club.
Meh, we won. Who cares. It doesn't hurt our club. In fact if anything it boosts our clubs image. You could see our young guys get a kick out of playing in a farewell game. It was a win win win.

On VOG-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you bought his best seller, How to influence people and win friends?

Oh I agree. To be clear my anger is 100% at the club. I actually care about the club so I can get angry at it; I don't care at all about Gibbs so he isn't worth any sort of emotional investment at all.

Even if the Club wanted to stop it? Could it have?

But then he could have told the Club I wont do it. Then proceed anyways.

Did you see any crows players go to chair him off and then stop? Anyone on the field look confused or surprised?

They knew in my opinion

Back