News Gieschen: Umps right on Stevie J call

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/145378/default.aspx

Fair dinkum these guys are killing the game. When SJ was smothered by Steven the other night it should have been 50m cos Steven was about 3m away not 5. Seems to be just another way for the Vlad dictatorship to put a nail in our coffin, even though we keep opening the lid and climbing back out. I am so over the umpiring and MRP. Oh yeah, they needed "time to get it right" before announcing their analysis of the decision = code for "to get the story straight".

As was mentioned on AFL 360 i think last night....Gerard Whately suggested that Stevie should actually perhaps shape his arm as to commence the kick, but not follow through, and see what happens when the player smothering suddenly is in his face when Stevie hasn't moved, and presumably play on may not have been called.

To be honest, it also seems to not necessarily even be for the angled goal-kicks too, it seems we always have someone rather close when we take a field mark too, it seems we tend to suffer the most 'smothers against' just in the course of watching a game. Yet if a Geelong player merely breathes too close to an opponent it's a 50.

On 360 they played the audio where the ump called play on BEFORE SJ had moved! Just wrong but it's not like crap decisions only happen to us. Picking on umps is like shooting fish in a barrel... Let's move on

On 360 they played the audio where the ump called play on BEFORE SJ had moved! Just wrong but it's not like crap decisions only happen to us. Picking on umps is like shooting fish in a barrel... Let's move on

Surely at some point something has to be done though. The frequency if these obsurd decisions only seems to increase with every year. I think the only way things can change it seems is from a groundswell of supporter discontent, otherwise vlad and his cronies will continue to bury their head in the sand and continue feeding us bullshit. We need a 'revolution' if you will.

Stevens may have been a fraction close and he was super quick out of the blocks,but Johnson just ambled off the mark like he had all the time in the world and who was the Geelong player who just stood a mtr behind Stevens pointing at him to the umpire instead of getting between Stevens and Johnson to provide the Shepard,poor play by the Cats all round.

Stevens may have been a fraction close and he was super quick out of the blocks,but Johnson just ambled off the mark like he had all the time in the world and who was the Geelong player who just stood a mtr behind Stevens pointing at him to the umpire instead of getting between Stevens and Johnson to provide the Shepard,poor play by the Cats all round.
Na YP1, that player was doing the right thing because if a team mate is within the 5m his opponent is allowed to go with him without penalty (like when a teammate runs through the mark with his tagger).
I'm a bit unsure as to what can be done in our "revolution". It's not like we want a raft of rule changes or a bunch of new umps all learning the caper. Yes they have made some howlers & called them right but all the hand wringing is pointless!

We all want the players to determine the outcome of the game not the umpires. Too often the opposite is the case with umpires intervening, driving the direction of the game, paying frees at one end and not the other. Don't get me started on the Friday night testing of a new interpretation (but let's not let the clubs know beforehand) like against the West Coast and the OOB. Yes sometimes it works against both clubs or even the opposition but whilst acknowledging the great job the umps do generally, ffs how can their bosses (and the fing MRP) do so many things badly?

Just crap. It was 50 m - absolutley no doubt.

The AFL woke up and started letting the public in more and more - to keep it an atttractive and inclusive. They even interview players at the end of quarters to help punters be more included in the game.

However - they then have an umpiring set up and MRP no one gets - and keep changing the interpretation of the rules - and expect the public to keep engaged. The SJ incident is just another example of how poor a job they can do - and how they shoot themselves in the foot. Undo all their good work to include the average footy punter.

What truly annoys me is that they treat as idiots who will accept their most crappy justifications - when clearly they cannot, given all the examples out there, justify their decision rationally.

The quicker they realise that they disengage the footy public by their stupidity re these issues - the better we will all be off (players, umpires, the AFL admin and the footy public).

Just crap. It was 50 m - absolutley no doubt.

The AFL woke up and started letting the public in more and more - to keep it an atttractive and inclusive. They even interview players at the end of quarters to help punters be more included in the game.

However - they then have an umpiring set up and MRP no one gets - and keep changing the interpretation of the rules - and expect the public to keep engaged. The SJ incident is just another example of how poor a job they can do - and how they shoot themselves in the foot. Undo all their good work to include the average footy punter.

What truly annoys me is that they treat as idiots who will accept their most crappy justifications - when clearly they cannot, given all the examples out there, justify their decision rationally.

The quicker they realise that they disengage the footy public by their stupidity re these issues - the better we will all be off (players, umpires, the AFL admin and the footy public).
Absolutely agree. Top post.

Na YP1, that player was doing the right thing because if a team mate is within the 5m his opponent is allowed to go with him without penalty (like when a teammate runs through the mark with his tagger).
I'm a bit unsure as to what can be done in our "revolution". It's not like we want a raft of rule changes or a bunch of new umps all learning the caper. Yes they have made some howlers & called them right but all the hand wringing is pointless!

I would be satisfied if Gieshan either stepped down admitting his incompetence, or is sacked. How many times can this clown be allowed to defend clearly wrong decisions?

I am unsure of what can be done in our glorious revolution also...perhaps a petition signed by all willing calling for giesh's resignation?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't agree, that maybe the rule,but the Geelong player put himself right out of the contest he may as well have been sitting on the bench, he left Stevens with an unimpeded run at SJ.
At the very least he needed to be side by side with Stevens and have body contact.

Spot on from my point of view.....absolutely spot on. SJ will have to be more alert in that situation now...and not amble off on a three-step play. I think he took it too easy...he wont make that mistake again.

The 5 metres is approximate at best and we dont want to go the way of American football and have measuring tapes brought into use!!

A timely reminder for him 3 weeks out from finals where the intensity will be ramped up.

It's a great pity that the game against the Doggies on Sunday matters, as I'd love the entire team to make a point by flagrantly IGNORING the 'no-one within 5 metres of a player who has marked' rule.

After all we have former Geelong assistant coach (under Gary Ayres) Jeff Gieschen's blessing don't we? If he, as AFL Director of Umpires, says that all was well and good then the '5 metre' rule NO LONGER EXISTS.

Interesting because Chris alluded that he had clarified with the umpires and that the issue would never happen again. I took from that comment that the umpires admitted a mistake.

Spot on from my point of view.....absolutely spot on. SJ will have to be more alert in that situation now...and not amble off on a three-step play. I think he took it too easy...he wont make that mistake again.

The 5 metres is approximate at best and we dont want to go the way of American football and have measuring tapes brought into use!!

A timely reminder for him 3 weeks out from finals where the intensity will be ramped up.
not sure we need a measuring tape to know the difference between 3 and 5 metres. Approximately indeed.

Yeah, I can't believe that. The Giesh reckons there was 5.4 metres between Stevie and the man on the mark. There is no way it was more than 3 metres.

Yeah, I can't believe that. The Giesh reckons there was 5.4 metres between Stevie and the man on the mark. There is no way it was more than 3 metres.

This is exactly what I mean - the vision clearly shows Stevens was closer than 5 M - and they just say no, you are wrong - he was over 5 M away. WTF !

Why can't they just say they were wrong. I have no respect for someone that treats me as a fool - when thye are the fool.

I can't agree, that maybe the rule,but the Geelong player put himself right out of the contest he may as well have been sitting on the bench, he left Stevens with an unimpeded run at SJ.
At the very least he needed to be side by side with Stevens and have body contact.
the only mistake he made was that he expected the ump would call Stevens back beyond SJs shoelaces as he was supposed to (not sure we should be blaming the victims here?).

Yep agree it should have been a 50 metre penalty to Stevie. I don't see it as an anti -Geelong conspiracy, just further example a mistake not acknowledged and it is frustrating, as mentioned above, because we are not idiots. Just say 'We got it wrong. We will try and make sure we get it right next time.' That's all they have to do. They just look incompetent, out of touch with little understanding of the game.

Sj has taken 2 small steps, 1 m max
Steven takes 1.5 steps at 1.5 2.25
Therefore given stevens is kissing sj boot, the distance is max 3.25
They are both short, and you measure it ysing their stride

Remove this Banner Ad

Back