Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricmel

Premium Platinum
Jul 13, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
I read somewhere the other day that GWS effectively picked up 25 first round draft picks in 2011, 2012 and 2013 (if we assume their under 17s would have been first rounders).

All expectations are that GWS will be strong premiership contenders from 2016 onwards. If they win one...what is the value of that win?

How do Saints, Bulldogs, Demons, Freo and Tiger supporters, amongst others, feel about clubs coming in to the AFL and basically being gifted a real chance at a flag. It seems to me that the expansion clubs have not had to do the hard yards.

I read somewhere the other day that GWS effectively picked up 25 first round draft picks in 2011, 2012 and 2013 (if we assume their under 17s would have been first rounders).

All expectations are that GWS will be strong premiership contenders from 2016 onwards. If they win one...what is the value of that win?

How do Saints, Bulldogs, Demons, Freo and Tiger supporters, amongst others, feel about clubs coming in to the AFL and basically being gifted a real chance at a flag. It seems to me that the expansion clubs have not had to do the hard yards.

Geez this hasnt been discussed before.

What are hard yards? GWS have had 3 seasons of below average football with minimal wins, how long do they have to be poor before they have 'done the hard yards'?

If anything it wont be the fact they win a flag but more so the likelihood of becoming a powerhouse and barely losing a game while winning a few flags on the trot. But its yet to be seen if this will eventuate.

As a whole it shows where the integrity of the game sits.

What i will say though is that one Fremantle premiership will mean a hell of a lot more to our club and fans then 5 of the things will to those two teams.

Geez this hasnt been discussed before.

What are hard yards? GWS have had 3 seasons of below average football with minimal wins, how long do they have to be poor before they have 'done the hard yards'?

If anything it wont be the fact they win a flag but more so the likelihood of becoming a powerhouse and barely losing a game while winning a few flags on the trot. But its yet to be seen if this will eventuate.

Well St Kilda hasn't won one since 1966, Melbourne since 1954, the Dogs since 1953. They have had some horrid years in between then and now, I think they have done some bloody hard yards

I reckon they have done the hard yards.

No side has ever had the access to the talent that GWS and Gold Coast have had.

As Wizrd said though, I'm tipping a premiership win for the above sides and Freo/Richmond etc etc would mean a hell of a lot more than anything GWS or Gold Coast supporters would feel.

If I went to games as a GWS supporter since they started, watching loss after loss, I would not feel at all unentitled to enjoy a flag if it arrived.

It is what it is. Victorian clubs have a solid base of fan and corporate support and the opportunity to get sound coaching and development staff to make the most of their lists. New clubs don't have that so they are given other stuff to make them able to compete. I don't particularly think Gold Coast or GWS should have to build slowly for fifty years in the AFL before they have "earned" a flag , just because North did.

All clubs had the chance to check if the concessions were balanced, and they said yes. In the end, I expect they would all have said privately that it's better to risk them being too generous, because the worst that will happen is that they will have a WCE chance of getting established fast as bona fide clubs in the competition.

With these two clubs, especially GWS, there are a number of factors that weigh against the startup concessions in influencing whether the draft help turns into real success. Let's just wait and see before deciding what we think.

And I am biased, but the new clubs will win ten flags a piece before I'll think their draft help was a bad idea compared to relocating existing clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the club representatives who decided on the concessions only have themselves to blame for creating a situation where Gold coast and Gws Giants will dominated the competition for over 6yrs and win between 2 to 4 flags.

Well St Kilda hasn't won one since 1966, Melbourne since 1954, the Dogs since 1953. They have had some horrid years in between then and now, I think they have done some bloody hard yards

No side has ever had the access to the talent that GWS and Gold Coast have had.

As Wizrd said though, I'm tipping a premiership win for the above sides and Freo/Richmond etc etc would mean a hell of a lot more than anything GWS or Gold Coast supporters would feel.
You blokes won one last year. If you win this seasons will it mean less to you?

I hope they fail. The AFL has stuffed up the competition on a number of fronts and one is the inclusion of GWS and the associated gifting of draft picks. They have taken their eye off the ball, in that they should have focused more on maintaining the existing competition/clubs. But no, lets gift two new clubs as many first round draft picks as possible, whilst diluting the strength of the competition overall.

Already seen Tyson, Miles, Hombsch and Adams leave. No doubt a few more highly rated picks will go this year as well. There's no guarantees in footy. If one of Boyd, Cameron or Patton leave then this will hurt their prospects of winning a flag in the next 5 years.

l.

That is where I am coming from. Maybe this thread has been done before...if so haven't seen it, but I am coming from this point of view. I think GWS and Suns should have been made competitive but seems to me they have been made much more than that.

You blokes won one last year. If you win this seasons will it mean less to you?

It's not about frequency to me...it is about context. Should a new club coming into the competition be given such an overwhelming head start?

every flag this century has been "tainted" by "gifts" of some description in varying degrees - cheap father/sons, priority picks, extra salary cap, startup/merger concessions etc. the giants gifts are fairly clearly greater than all of those that have gone before, but supporters of the beneficiary clubs have celebrated their flags as if they were "untainted" and i'm sure the horde of rusted on giants fans will be the same

Close this s**t thread and open a new thread that explains these idiots how to use the search function.

Once this generation is over...it's a lonely pit of unsuccessful hell for all eternity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back