Gifts Of Imperfection: Fake Tanking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghost Pig

Club Legend
Jan 21, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very happy with the number of debutants already named this season.

Am I alone however, in thinking that getting as many games, into as many promising young'ns this year as it takes to ensure a bottom 4 finish (while crossing fingers for honorable losses and taking care of developing bodies) is our best possible scenario in terms of bigger picture/rebuild etc?

There's a lot to like about our drafting/recruiting in the last few drafts but I have a sinking feeling that if the recruiters don't get another swing at the cream of the crop in this next draft, our next flag tilt will be more injury/opposition reliant then we'd like it to be ala 2013.

Is this PTSD or do we still need more class through the gateways to truly be in control of our own success?

Tanking is horrible for creating a winning/competitive culture. We'd gain a gun and probably lose others in the process. Would rather we improved on last year to make the existing list dog hungry for 2019 and take a mid 1st round player plus Carter - so two 1st round picks effectively.

The best pathway is to start winning games regularly this season ... 10-13 wins should be the aim. And that can still be done with kids/youth.

Getting stuck in the bottom 4-5 for 3 years in a row is a huge hole to climb out of and likely indicates massive long-term pain is to come. It builds a loser club with a loser mentality. Evidence is hard to argue with ... Carlton, Saints, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Melbourne. We'll turn out like them if we don't start performing ASAP.

I know it's uncouth to talk openly about this with lurking opposition supporters never missing an opportunity to sink their shiny wingtips into our kidneys.

But ive got to admit i was mortified at the bullish comments made far and wide after we toweled up the scum in jlt3 and was positively effervescent after we got worked over by port.

I guess I'm asking if I'm a bad supporter...Or if I'm just starved of new GOT episodes?

I know it's uncouth to talk openly about this with lurking opposition supporters never missing an opportunity to sink their shiny wingtips into our kidneys.

But ive got to admit i was mortified at the bullish comments made far and wide after we toweled up the scum in jlt3 and was positively effervescent after we got worked over by port.

I guess I'm asking if I'm a bad supporter...Or if I'm just starved of new GOT episodes?
JLT really doesn't mean much. West Coast were decent against the Swans, but they didn't care much about the practice match against us. Plus our JLT form wasn't as good as people think, we still bombed it long, only difference is Tabs marked everything, so it didn't look as bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From memory we've effectively traded out of rounds 2 & 3 (for Wilson & Matera) however the only thing that really matters to me is that we've hung on to that 1st rounder.

I mean who knows but at this stage I can't see us finishing bottom 2.....most likely we will be in the pick 3-6 conversation.

Jack Lukosius will be gone - however you're going to get a pretty good look at another quality mid (and there looks like there are 2-3 again that will fit the bill) ...there are twin King Towers (King brothers 201cm - one forward and one defender) and if all else fails and we end up with Ian Hill ...I for one could cope with that.

We'll also get to secure Jason Carter .....just not worth tanking, play the kids and let the cards fall where they may.

From memory we've effectively traded out of rounds 2 & 3 (for Wilson & Matera) however the only thing that really matters to me is that we've hung on to that 1st rounder.

I mean who knows but at this stage I can't see us finishing bottom 2.....most likely we will be in the pick 3-6 conversation.

Jack Lukosius will be gone - however you're going to get a pretty good look at another quality mid (and there looks like there are 2-3 again that will fit the bill) ...there are twin King Towers (King brothers 201cm - one forward and one defender) and if all else fails and we end up with Ian Hill ...I for one could cope with that.

We'll also get to secure Jason Carter .....just not worth tanking, play the kids and let the cards fall where they may.
big thing is play the kids.

The only thing lacking is Forward options, the list in my mind is developing nicely, it's up to the coaching panel to lift. Carter is just
decorations, we have the ingredients.
Freo in 2013 won games with Bradley, Balla, Walters, Mayne, with Pav missing half of the year.
But we were dog hungry and hunted in packs, something that is missing with team selection now, we have upgraded the talent though.
No amount of tanking will fix holes in the game plan, look at GWS, GC, etc, they were supposedly creating dynasty's.
Rather pickup off field talent that knows attacking patterns, and leave the defensive side to Lyon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back