Opinion Gil and Steve are wankas - opposition supporters welcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Modern coaching and fitness levels have undermined many of the fundamentals of the game.

The game has to slow down and open up.

Short of removing 4 blokes from the field, or increasing the ground sizes by 50%, the simplest solution I can formulate is removing interchanges altogether.

No more interchange, and increase the bench to 6 players.

Yeah these f***wits in charge of this great game had better start talking and opening a dialogue to the wider public and all involved with the game as to why they are changing rules, where they see the game going and why?!?, getting real sick of this behind the scenes machinations in tampering with the game!
Are they worried about on field concussions, collisions, tackles and why?!?

Going by this statement crowd numbers and ratings reflect the fans approval of the changes, I hate this ******* campaigner!!!!

Addressing the impact of rule changes on the competition, Hocking said that the margin between teams had been under two goals for 76 per cent of game time this year – and that fans’ feedback had been positive about the change to the six-six-six centre bounce rule, evident in increased crowds and ratings compared with 2018.

Modern coaching and fitness levels have undermined many of the fundamentals of the game.

Short of removing 4 blokes from the field, or increasing the ground sizes by 50%, the simplest solution I can formulate is removing interchanges altogether.

If there is no interchange how do you get a player from the increased bench

Going by this statement crowd numbers and ratings reflect the fans approval of the changes, I hate this ******* campaigner!!!!

Addressing the impact of rule changes on the competition, Hocking said that the margin between teams had been under two goals for 76 per cent of game time this year – and that fans’ feedback had been positive about the change to the six-six-six centre bounce rule, evident in increased crowds and ratings compared with 2018.
Oh yeah the 2019 Season hasn't even finished but...but...their is evidence that more fans have increased their attendance to games!!
Yeah how much increase genius!!???! And does that increase justify tampering with the game further?!?!?
Agenda! Agenda! Agenda by whom?!?

If there is no interchange how do you get a player from the increased bench

When a player comes off, they don't go back on, the same as the way the game was played when their was a 19th & 20th man (Pre -1978).

It would slow the game down, promote the fundamentals of the sport, and add significant tactical intrigue to matches.

A 6 man bench means a side could take 3-4 midfielder/flankers, 1-2 KPP's & an extra ruckman in to matches. Injuries influencing matches can be significantly overcome.

When a player comes off, they don't go back on, the same as the way the game was played when their was a 19th & 20th man (Pre -1978).

It would slow the game down, promote the fundamentals of the sport, and add significant tactical intrigue to matches.

A 6 man bench means a side could take 3-4 midfielder/flankers, 1-2 KPP's & an extra ruckman in to matches. Injuries influencing matches can be significantly overcome.
fair enough, I like the interchange because players get a chance to freshen up and there is less fatigue

fair enough, I like the interchange because players get a chance to freshen up and there is less fatigue

THAT'S the whole idea mate.

We need to slow the game down and open it up, and the only way of doing that is creating a scenario where players are trained to run out 120 minutes of a match, without a break.

If we keep the current regime, then we are going to keep the rubbish that passes for modern footy.

Disagree with this, I like the faster paced modern games as opposed to the slow Dinosaur games from the 70s/80s. Yes there’s a lot of low quality crap but there good is really good and imo more exciting than the old days.

Hocking is trying too hard to go back to that old school style imo

According to a quick google search Hawthorn averages the most tackles of any team in the league in 2019, so something like this rule probably would really affect them, we’re probably about mid table for average tackles, we’re actually not a heavy tackling side, so it probably wouldn’t affect us as much, however having said that. I would be pretty pissed off if this reduced tackling rule came in, some of my favourite bits of a game are watching a Rioli or Stack or someone else chase down an opposition runner as they’re carrying the ball and tackling them.

Those situations are probably the situations where I cheer the loudest. :(

Please don’t reduce those situations!

Disagree with this, I like the faster paced modern games as opposed to the slow Dinosaur games from the 70s/80s. Yes there’s a lot of low quality crap but there good is really good and imo more exciting than the old days.

Hocking is trying too hard to go back to that old school style imo

It's not "old school style" mate. It's actually the fundamentals of the sport.

The modern game has been tweaked in to this basketball rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another benefit of slowing the game down is that more natural footballers would end up in the AFL.

If we have less tackles, then the opposite will occur and the game will become even quicker.

We will regress back to the age of the Lonies!!!!!!

He is deluded, most fans hate the new rules and 6-6-6 is the most useless rule ever introduced, it was a rule introduced for one team and one player only, Geelong and Patrick ' i want to run away like Judd with no one in front of me ' Dangersook.

Fans are not turning up because of the new stupid rules.

And make games awful to watch when both teams are dead on their feet and can't get to contests or kick over a jam tin. West Coast a perfect example last friday, down on interchange players + dead on their feet = flooding the backline trying to hold on for grim death, is this how you want every game to look in last qtrs.

Straight from the Donald Trump playbook.

And make games awful to watch when both teams are dead on their feet and can't get to contests or kick over a jam tin. West Coast a perfect example last friday, down on interchange players + dead on their feet = flooding the backline trying to hold on for grim death, is this how you want every game to look in last qtrs.

1) They won't be "dead on their feet", as sides would have to adjust or get beaten (and then adjust). Players would have less focus on heavy running training regimes and their will be a decrease of soft muscle injuries that have accompanied this. There were FAR less of these injuries when the game was slower. It is a result of modern football training and conditioning. Kicking length and accuracy would also improve as players with bigger legs returned to the game.

2) Increase the bench to six.

Last edited:
Straight from the Donald Trump playbook.

Handbag Hocking is a (totally neutral) fan of the game, so he asked himself for feedback on his own changes that he implemented which of course was positive so he is technically correct in what he's saying but also a complete douchebag at the same time.

The changes are for the most part crap and if their ultimate aim was to prevent 36 players in one team's 50 arc, then he's failed completely.

The fact that athletes like Cox can get a game ahead of kids that have grown up kicking a footy says a lot about where the game is at. Nothing against Cox, he's done well to get where he's at and made the most of opportunities presented to him.

If people are complaining about the skill level of the game, then this is part of why the skill level is s**t, there's a lot of players that simply haven't been kicking a footy all their lives. Clubs and coaches for the most part prefer athletes over footballers with footy smarts, nous and skill. They prefer these guys because that suits their game plan which is built around exploiting the rules that handbag hocking is changing to perpetuate the preference for athletes over footballers.

1) They won't be "dead on their feet", as sides would have to adjust or get beaten (and then adjust). Players would have less focus on heavy running training regimes and the increase of soft muscle injuries that have accompanied this. There were FAR less of these injuries when the game was slower. It is a result of modern football training and conditioning. Kicking length and accuracy would also improve as players with bigger legs returned to the game.

2) Increase the bench to six.
1. Yes the would be dead on there feet.
2. Increased running programs would be a heavy focus so players could compete for 100% gametime.
3. Kicking length and accuracy would decline as the game progresses due to fatigue.
4. Most games would turn into second half slogs.

I dunno why any Tiges fan
1. Yes the would be dead on there feet.
2. Increased running programs would be a heavy focus so players could compete for 100% gametime.
3. Kicking length and accuracy would decline as the game progresses due to fatigue.
4. Most games would turn into second half slogs.

1) Yep
2) Yep
3) Only the 8 metre chip passes. This is a good thing.
4) No mate, the power players and natural footballers would come to the fore even more. The real players that the game should be promoting, rather than some beep test crab

Blokes like this:

Patrick doesn't like players coming off the back of the square as it stops his DRAMATIC dashes from the centre bounce - 666
Patrick doesn't like being tackled as it stops his DRAMATIC bursts of pace and his DRAMATIC flying handballs out of a pack - Hey Steve, can you help?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back