Gil and the obsession with mangling our game.

Remove this Banner Ad

The short games are just pushed and pushed by Danger and his mouthpieces. It suits his type of play and makes it more about him.

I think a night grand final will be awesome. just my opinion.

But if the season extends into the summer months it makes all the logical sense in the world to have it at night.

And all things considered, a night grand final will be the least weird thing about this season.

Did people complain this much in the 80s when they departed from tradition and started having friday night football games?
I understand what your saying if we have to play a full bore grand final at the beginning of summer or at the end of spring, night football has been around a long time , the first one I saw was at Albert Park, the Lake oval, Verdon Howell took a gigantic high mark over John Peck ,Pecky was my hero, but the mark was classic ladder climbing up the back of an opponent. Wonderful, long time ago.
But still the grand final is a Saturday afternoon thing, pub for one starter, then the game, or to the ground for the reserves, and then the evening , pubs around Richmond or where ever, the joint is alive

That night is meant for sulking, or celebrating.

I've done both, but Grand Final night is what Melbourne is all about, my home town, always will be, its what the people do there on GF day and night, they contemplate no footy, for six months, and they discuss the game, or they sit and say nothing.

But Melbourne is alive that night, 2019 Melbourne was dead, all week, so for me tradition argued in any sense, shows what is really wanted and what isn't, I can see the city bathed in ( bad) red, if the GF finished at 9pm or later.
A day of revelry and rivalry, with folks in the pubs all afternoon, and day full of beer, then reloading the pots and pints at 9 or 10pm I reckon getting to the pub or the barbie or home or to a party around the 7pm-ish mark, is the time to have a drink!No to Night GF.
Night footy has its place , but not on grand final day. Besides lots of kids want to go too.

I've just about had the AFL to be honest. This break has come at a perfect time for me to walk away from it. Still a member of the Hawks, but the AFL can f**k itself. Night Grand Finals aren't for the Australian public, they're for overseas markets, so let's not kid ourselves eh?

Except the Local media are who want a night Grand final for better ratings.

Always amuses me that the MCG Grand final excuse is because it fits more people but the night Grand final is a no no even though it would be for more people.

If the ratings weren’t bigger the stations wouldn’t want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a lot of people can just accept a scrapped season. It's no big deal for a lot of fans. Unusual, but understandable, we'll survive.

Exploiting the situation to indulge all the tinkering possibilities to make that bottom line look less glaring is cringe, but expected.

I agree in that a night GF is one of the most unappealing changes that could be made. It would represent a break from heritage into pure product.

99.9% of traditions from the Iron ages are gone and for good reason, tradition is a terrible reason to keep something.

People are just scared of change

I don’t think it’s being scared of change it’s more that change gets made for no good reason.
The sport itself should be sacred and rule changes to the sport should occur almost never and if they do it’s one rule change every 10 years or so. The game should evolve naturally through how players evolve it. The AFL however have actually changed the sport itself through unnecessary rule changes. I watch just laughing that we allow players now to run outside the goal square to bring the ball back into play after a behind, on what planet did that achieve anything? That is change for no reason. The AFL have made change after change to the rules of the sport the last 20 years and in my eyes none of them have made the game a better game.
This is why they call the sport AFL now because it is not Australian Rules Football now.
As for changes like GF time, midweek games, overseas games etc etc then I think really it is no big deal. But don’t touch the sport itself.

Night GF because of the daytime temps. make sense and maybe making it a night time comp for the same reason. mas as well continue the trial with 16 min quarters and also try Supergoals and 16 aside as well.

I don’t think it’s being scared of change it’s more that change gets made for no good reason.
The sport itself should be sacred and rule changes to the sport should occur almost never and if they do it’s one rule change every 10 years or so. The game should evolve naturally through how players evolve it. The AFL however have actually changed the sport itself through unnecessary rule changes. I watch just laughing that we allow players now to run outside the goal square to bring the ball back into play after a behind, on what planet did that achieve anything? That is change for no reason. The AFL have made change after change to the rules of the sport the last 20 years and in my eyes none of them have made the game a better game.
This is why they call the sport AFL now because it is not Australian Rules Football now.
As for changes like GF time, midweek games, overseas games etc etc then I think really it is no big deal. But don’t touch the sport itself.

The coaches massively change the game every year, if the AFL didn't act you'd end up with a product that is absolutely nothing like what many think Football should be. Despite the whinging, the majority of the rule changes have had positive impacts on the game... You can tell this because even though people love to complain, they don't complain about these new changes.

Players being able to run out of the goal square means it's easier for teams to break defensive zones which opens the game up and allows for more scoring...

The coaches massively change the game every year, if the AFL didn't act you'd end up with a product that is absolutely nothing like what many think Football should be. Despite the whinging, the majority of the rule changes have had positive impacts on the game... You can tell this because even though people love to complain, they don't complain about these new changes.

Players being able to run out of the goal square means it's easier for teams to break defensive zones which opens the game up and allows for more scoring...

I have asked this before on BF, why do supporters care what the game looks like these days. When did your team either winning or losing stop being all that matters to the supporters?
Coaches and players are their to win, nothing else matters and will ever matter to them. What it looks like shouldn’t matter to their supporters.
if the world game does not feel the need to make 4-5 rule changes yearly then why does our little AFL need to.
People don’t complain on mass because quite simply a large portion of them know nothing about the sport.

Morning paper!!!!! bad news all of it. Even the sport section where now the tragedy of COVID19 WHICH IS HORRIBLE , BUT STILL THIS DRIVEN OBSESSED INDIVIDUAL
MC LACHLAN WHO SITS IN HIS IVORY AFL TOWER, WANTS TO GET A NIGHT GRAND FINAL EVEN AT THE EXPENSE OF CANCELLING THE SEASON FOR NOW, WITH A PLAN TO PLAY THE SEASON INTO LATER IN THE YEAR , AND PLAYING THE GF AT NIGHT!

STILL HE COMES WITH THIS CRAP !!!!!!!

NO ONE WANTS A NIGHT GF! if thats what I hear why doesn't this group of failures hear it too. Play it at docklands or the MCG but play it on an afternoon , when ever .
With the situation on planet earth the way it is now compromise is the thing, do it Mc Lachlan, or get the hell out of the job and your obsessed mind out of the AFL , or should I say the Australian Rules Football lovers GAME the real ones.
We have 16 rounds to go played during the late winter early spring under what ever conditions are still in place after the flu season and IF (if ) THE CORONAVIRUS IS STILL AROUND TO A DEGREE , FOLLOW THE RULES . But play the bleeding GF on a Saturday afternoon, but you never listen.

Well,. BF PEOPLE I GUESS SOME WILL COME OUT AS PER USUAL WITH THE USUAL KICK AT ME BECAUSE YOU DON'T CARE , BUT TO THOSE WHO DO CARE JACK UP about it get angry , complain complain complain , we have a bad era to go through yet any excuse for this dill to change and change and change the game . OUR GAME.

the first thing I read was night game late in the year, NOT JUST A GAME, NO, NIGHT GAME! McLachlans sickness.
You live in Perth? A night grand final in the east is still a daytime game for you. Simple

Remove this Banner Ad

Back