Rumour Gilbert McAdam arrested over domestic violence allegations

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me or has this gone mainly unnoticed for someone portrayed in the media as one of the best blokes going around?

There were a few news stories but not what I would of expected. I am guessing there is either nothing in it or very serious.
The media and "violence against women" industry do not care when either the victim is an Aboriginal woman or the perpetrator is an Aboriginal man.

Those same people absolutely lose their s**t when the victim is a middle/upper class white woman from a non Aboriginal but male perpetrator.

The media and "violence against women" industry do not care when either the victim is an Aboriginal woman or the perpetrator is an Aboriginal man.

Those same people absolutely lose their s**t when the victim is a middle/upper class white woman from a non Aboriginal but male perpetrator.
What crap.

What crap.

No it's not, the rates of domestic violence are significantly higher in indigenous communities compared to the rest of society.

I can't remember ever seeing an article/opinion piece specifically on this issue, nor have I ever heard anyone suggest that "indigenous men need to take responsibility for violence against women".

No it's not, the rates of domestic violence are significantly higher in indigenous communities compared to the rest of society.

I can't remember ever seeing an article/opinion piece specifically on this issue, nor have I ever heard anyone suggest that "indigenous men need to take responsibility for violence against women".
In Halls Creek the town where Gilbert happens to be from there is a march every year against domestic violence, local women have been campaigning about it for years, just because it doesn't pop up in your Facebook feed it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Honestly "I can't remember reading an opinion piece about it", maybe have an actual think about what you're talking about and who is impacted by it before spouting this "blackfellas get special treatment" bullshit.

In Halls Creek the town where Gilbert happens to be from there is a march every year against domestic violence, local women have been campaigning about it for years, just because it doesn't pop up in your Facebook feed it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Honestly "I can't remember reading an opinion piece about it", maybe have an actual think about what you're talking about and who is impacted by it before spouting this "blackfellas get special treatment" bullshit.
Domestic/family violence in some indigenous communities is ******* astronomical. Have seen some stats indicating rates of 40 times higher or near that in some places.

An Aboriginal woman victim of violence does not generate the same level of empathy and coverage in the media as an attractive middle class white woman.

I believe socioeconomic factors are a huge driving force but advocates like Rosie Batty try and play those factors down and play things like respect, toxic masculinity, power imbalance etc.

If their arguments were to be believed (my position is heavy emphasis on socioeconomic factors, mental health, substance abuse which differs in emphasis from theirs) then the culture of respect for women in SOME indigenous communities is a massive elephant in the room that they are too cowardly to call out compared to when It impacts white women.

EDIT: Also this is not about 'blackfellas' it is about the victims of violence (both genders).

Last edited:

My post is factually correct, domestic violence in aboriginal communities doesn't get any air in mainstream media. If you want to call me out, then it should be a simple exercise for you to provide numerous links.

My commentary is more about the reluctance of politicians, mainstream media, and domestic violence campaigners to draw attention to it in indigenous communities rather than suggesting any special treatment for "blackfellas" (your title not mine). Your suggestion that the perpetrators get special treatment completely ignores the victims.

Absolute Madman's post has nailed it

Also next time you "quote someone", try and quote them accurately

Absolutely. Additionally, there’s an agreement in place with departments of the Government and the media not to report certain matters involving our indigenous when said Indigenous are the ones that are in the wrong or have seen do have done wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am still surprised this has gone relatively unreported in recent weeks, given at one point Gilbert was being pushed out everywhere. Usually with a high profile name there is some follow up reports.

I am still surprised this has gone relatively unreported in recent weeks, given at one point Gilbert was being pushed out everywhere. Usually with a high profile name there is some follow up reports.
Can't waste the ink when there might be another story about the Crows have a kick in the Barossa to write.

My post is factually correct, domestic violence in aboriginal communities doesn't get any air in mainstream media. If you want to call me out, then it should be a simple exercise for you to provide numerous links.

My commentary is more about the reluctance of politicians, mainstream media, and domestic violence campaigners to draw attention to it in indigenous communities rather than suggesting any special treatment for "blackfellas" (your title not mine). Your suggestion that the perpetrators get special treatment completely ignores the victims.

Absolute Madman's post has nailed it

Also next time you "quote someone", try and quote them accurately

It is raised but as soon as it is, there are howls of racism and paternalism so it goes in the too hard basket. The loudest voices in the racism and paternalism sphere are aboriginals themselves. It's a ******* disgrace but they won't let us anywhere near it. The last mainstream story I remember was this one below. I also think, iirc, there was an episode on Australian Story with her. What hope have we got when we try to do something about it but get howled down?

I had a story pop up in my fb feed a couple of days ago about the 20 year anniversary of the Reconciliation Marches around the country and how until we have reconciliation domestic violence will be a problem. I posted a question asking why we need reconciliation to stop bashing women and children and was told, not politely, to * off and mind my own business.

It is raised but as soon as it is, there are howls of racism and paternalism so it goes in the too hard basket. The loudest voices in the racism and paternalism sphere are aboriginals themselves. It's a ******* disgrace but they won't let us anywhere near it. The last mainstream story I remember was this one below. I also think, iirc, there was an episode on Australian Story with her. What hope have we got when we try to do something about it but get howled down?

I had a story pop up in my fb feed a couple of days ago about the 20 year anniversary of the Reconciliation Marches around the country and how until we have reconciliation domestic violence will be a problem. I posted a question asking why we n reconciliation to stop bashing women and children and was told, not politely, to fu** off and mind my own business.

The racism in footy is one example of putting the spotlight on it having a positive result.

Domestic violence is a blight on the community generally.

A trauma to the testes doesn’t cause cancer. A trauma forces men to feel the testes or have them examined by a GP. This is when a pre-existing tumour may be discovered.

A trauma to the testes doesn’t cause cancer. A trauma forces men to feel the testes or have them examined by a GP. This is when a pre-existing tumour may be discovered.
Can confirm.... Had TC

Yet the amount of people who ask me if I got it by someone hitting them or me riding bikes a lot when I was younger is staggering

Remove this Banner Ad

Back