Gilham - dont write him off.

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2003
Left of the middle
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I'm saying this because I have to, because he's a friend of mine, and because that damn club is dragging him down with it.

I know a few of you (RoosterWedgie, off the top of my head) have been quick to pass him off, saying he has no heart, no football ability and so on.

Let me tell you now, I do NOT want to hear ANYTHING of the sort after today. Not after what I was forced to witness, what left me absolutely dead-set ROPEABLE for an entire second half of footy.

He seemed to be going alright, better than he has been going in previous weeks, and then he got dragged. For the entire second half. Would you like to know WHY? I'll tell you!

FOR DROPPING A MARK ON THE WING!

For ****s sake, speaking to him after the game he was so down in the dumps, he was quiet and it was obvious he was reflecting on what had happened. Thats not the Gilly I know. Usually he's happy go lucky, win or lose, but yesterday he looked like he'd just walked out of a funeral.

Darel Hart - you disgust me. :mad: First, you decide to rip him from one position to another so its a constant juggling act. What the **** do you hope to achieve? And then you go and drag him for an ENTIRE HALF OF FOOTBALL, just because he dropped a mark! Adam Morgan was dropping marks, he could hardly hold onto the leather to save his life, but did he get dragged!? NO!

"All I can say to North supporters is that the coach takes all the responsibility." - D. Hart, Advertiser, 8/6/03

You're damn right you're taking all the responsibility. I may not be a North supporter, but crikey, will someone give that bloke the boot!? :mad:

Like I said - please dont write Gilly off. He has the heart of a lion and plenty of football ability, but being in a negative, non-supportive environment isnt helping his development.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a Power game to attend.

Heard on the radio that the boot is an option being seriously considered regarding Hart, but I don't think he's taking things too seriously. I followed him out of the ground on Saturday (accidentally!! before any of you think i'm an insane teenybopper) and he didn't seem to care much, and I would've thought he would have stayed for a lot longer than half an hour after the end of the match. Rehnny always does, and I've never seen any other coach leave so early, especially not after a 124-point loss.

Gilham, White, Morgan may as well be carrying around 10 kilo weights while playing, so handicapped are they playing for the 'Sters under(?) Darel Hart. It's a disgrace. Get them out of there.

Hart's a loser coach...was a crap loser player, and is an even worse coach..

Won't last another 5 weeks

Originally posted by Deestroy
You say Gilham's a friend of yours, wouldn't happen to be from Melbourne would you? If so, did you goto school with Gilham?

No, I met him through the club, and we've been friends for a while now.

Note that I didnt say 'good friend' or 'best friend', just a 'friend.' This doesnt mean he tells me everything, but I know enough to know when things arent going right. And at the moment, they arent.

Was that a genuine question, or a dig? Its early, so dont be starting **** with me, thanks.

Originally posted by Kid Dynamite!
Was that a genuine question, or a dig? Its early, so dont be starting **** with me, thanks.

Deestroys question was genuine too i think. From memory (i could be wrong tho) he said that Gilham was one of his neighbours.

Originally posted by Kid Dynamite!
No, I met him through the club, and we've been friends for a while now.

Yeah it was a genuine question, was wondering if you went to my school. Yeah Macca is right, the Gilhams are my next door neighbours, and both Stephen and his brother Andrew (who still does) went to my school.

Originally posted by Deestroy
Yeah it was a genuine question, was wondering if you went to my school. Yeah Macca is right, the Gilhams are my next door neighbours, and both Stephen and his brother Andrew (who still does) went to my school.

Oh ok, sorry for jumping the gun. People tend to call me a liar when I say I'm a friend.

PM me and give me your details - that way I can say hi to him for you on Wednesday and get back to you with what he says.
I met Andrew when his family were down here a few weeks back, and I've spoken to his Dad on a few occasions.

Lovely bunch. :)

It would be silly to write off a highly rated 17 year old on the basis of half a season of football in a poor side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's that old???? Dud!

Originally posted by rubberman
I ts a shame that we don't have a reserves team, because players like Gilham, Morgan and White would not have to go through this crap.

Just a thought - would players such as Gilly who are new to the club and at a rather young age be able to switch clubs, if they werent happy with the environment they're in? I know its a regular occurence in the SANFL [just look at Jarrad Cotton, high tailed it from Norwood to South in recent times] but I'm just wondering whether they're even allowed to CONSIDER it.

To quote him: "Yeah the club's in a bit of a hole at the moment and we're all getting dragged down with it. I hate it."

Whenever I speak to him after North games [which I go to when I can, just on the basis of seeing him, Morgs and Whitey play], I'm always certain he'll say this: "Would've been better if we won."

It hurts me to see my "streamlined" [thanks very much Zappa ;)] friend who has so much talent just get ****ed around with. So my question is this: is there anything he can actually do to rekindle his SANFL "career"? Like changing clubs?

Yeah, but Port have to initiate the change.

Shifting him to another club would certainly be justified if Gilham keeps being played out of position, as we've been hearing about here. I'd suggest the Magpies would be good for him, but the Gilligan curse might take over. :D

Originally posted by Porthos
Shifting him to another club would certainly be justified if Gilham keeps being played out of position, as we've been hearing about here. I'd suggest the Magpies would be good for him, but the Gilligan curse might take over. :D

:D

Is there any real point of playing someone who's six foot three on a wing!? I remember that press conference he held with Sala at the beginning of the year, where he said he wouldnt mind starting there. But in all honesty, in the North games I've seen, he looks absolutely lost when he plays there.

He's a defender, so one would think Port would have a word to D. Hart about grooming him as one, and not making him multi-task and wonder where he's going to be shoved next.

I'm still fuming about why he got dragged, but I wont start going off about that now.

He cant just simply leave North just because they are losing. Thats taking the extremely soft option. If hes being played out of position and cant get settled then a move could probably be made.

But if he just doesnt like losing....well he'll have to live with that for a while.

Didn't Mark Harwood move from South to Glenelg and then Glenelg to Port Magpies while still an AFL listed player? I seem to recall the possibility did exist to change clubs at least at season's end under normal SANFL transfer rules, but they may have changed that because the clubs feared the Power might try to move all their developing or young interstate players to the Magpies.

Originally posted by Macca19
He cant just simply leave North just because they are losing. Thats taking the extremely soft option. If hes being played out of position and cant get settled then a move could probably be made.

But if he just doesnt like losing....well he'll have to live with that for a while.

Nobody likes to lose, but I never suggested he should leave the club just because they're losing. I do agree that it would be taking the soft option, but I never suggested it and I hope that he doesnt leave just because of that. Port are looking to groom him as a defender, not as a half-forward/wingman/centreman/forward-pocket/centre-half-forward respectively.

Originally posted by Ford Fairlane
Didn't Mark Harwood move from South to Glenelg and then Glenelg to Port Magpies while still an AFL listed player? I seem to recall the possibility did exist to change clubs at least at season's end under normal SANFL transfer rules, but they may have changed that because the clubs feared the Power might try to move all their developing or young interstate players to the Magpies.

As far as I know they haven't changed it yet but several people whinged about it when Harwood & Lockwood came to the Magpies so a change is probably on the cards to stop mid-season swapping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back