Roast Gillon Mclachlan - Get rid of this tool, please

Remove this Banner Ad

Just this week alone:
* A rule interpretation change on the basis of Jack Riewoldt having a whinge about it
* The Bont escaping MRO sanction because the medical report of someone's FRACTURED LARYNX wasn't available until the next day
* The Jaidyn Stephenson farce, and
* Trialling the bunker system for 2 games in Rd23, and then fully implementing it for finals.

What an administration. A big week of farce even by their lofty standards.

Yeah I understand clubs sponsorship deals vary a lot from club to club the reason I find this hard to believe from gill is because reports gws are not even breaking even on there home games due to how small the crowds have been and the suns apparently have one of the worst stadium deals in the league at Metricon!
Sorry, I don't quite understand which part of Gill's statement you don't believe. The part about GWS' distribution from the AFL only being a little more
than St Kilda's? I guess he could be lying, I don't know, but it's something he could easily be caught out on if he was lying I think. I do know that
GWS sponsorship income is about ten times their game day revenue and merchandise income combined. They are in Sydney and their only
competition for AFL sponsorship money is the Swans. In Melbourne, St Kilda have to scrap it out with nine other teams for the corporate dollar.
There is only so much to go around. I can see how what he is saying could easily be true.

Seventeen rounds for the same money coming in... I've said it numerous times in here that the AFL is about doing less for $more, or in this case for $equal. This isn't about 'Melbourne' clubs getting an advantage over others, it's simply a money grab, of sorts, which BTW is why the AFL Commission was created.

Weird rant.

Gil is a tool and needs to go but not for the reasons you say.

You whinge about the grand final being at the G and act as though the corporate tickets issue would be limited to the MCG. That’s just bullshit. You host the grand final somewhere else and you’ve got even more genuine footy fans locked out, while a heap of corporate tickets still get sold.

You can whinge all you like about corporates having a hold of heaps of tickets. It’s never going to change. We are well and truly past that point and have been for years. Money talks in every sport I can think of these days. It sucks that footy has become like this but nothing is going to change. It could be worse we could be like the Super Bowl which has been turned into a ridiculously expensive event that costs an arm and leg to attend.

Seventeen rounds for the same money coming in... I've said it numerous times in here that the AFL is about doing less for $more, or in this case for $equal. This isn't about 'Melbourne' clubs getting an advantage over others, it's simply a money grab, of sorts, which BTW is why the AFL Commission was created.

Yep, it's amazing how many people in here still have this notion that AFL's number 1 priority is providing a fair and equitable sporting competition. :)

They don’t but they get a lot. 2018 figures I believe View attachment 731647

You would think that every supporter from Melbourne up on this table, should be getting down on there knees and thanking all the supporters and club administrators of those clubs that prop them up because looking at this, us poor bastards are sure getting an education on what catholic choir boys felt like.

Gill the Dill is a Polo loving, Au pair using, chardonnay sipping, social climbing, brown nosing, boys club enabling buffoon who is only interested in looking in the mirror and basking in his own self assessed magnificence.

He is also a massive crony capitalist.

A puppet of the sports best companies . He has sold the soul of the AFL to these leeches.

And who is his father in law????

Chairman of Spotless!

The bloke is a complete crook.

These AFL knobs drive me insane. They didn't invent the game. They didnt make it popular. They should act as humble custodians. Instead they act like they are successful entrepreneurs as if they invented the AFL and without their business skills the comp would collapse.

Just delusional idiots.

You would think that every supporter from Melbourne up on this table, should be getting down on there knees and thanking all the supporters and club administrators of those clubs that prop them up because looking at this, us poor bastards are sure getting an education on what catholic choir boys felt like.
Sorry to hear you guys are struggling over there in the West.

We should all be on our hands and knees to Port Adelaide. Apparently they receive so little it isn't even mentioned.

Gill the Dill is a Polo loving, Au pair using, chardonnay sipping, social climbing, brown nosing, boys club enabling buffoon who is only interested in looking in the mirror and basking in his own self assessed magnificence.
Allegedly!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. Does he even know what his job is? His response to the priority pick for GCS was abysmal.

He should have just stuck to saying nothing about that (It's not the job of the AFL CEO to determine whether GCS gets a priority pick)

4. Does he realise his Melbourne centric bias is causing some real discontent outside of Melbourne? The revelation that Saints are being propped up to the tune of a starter club is amazing. Melbourne clearly cannot sustain the number of teams they have, it's time for a cull Gill - especially when you have to rob Geelong of home final advantage to get them to watch the game.

I blame Barrett for not bringing that topic up. It's certainly a lot more relevant and of interest to the listeners than how close Gil got to going to NRL / Liverpool.

Does he even care that his lies are transparent? Home finals at the mcg are about the fans? Bulls**t, more than half the tickets go to sponsors.

His point that Geelong have 60,000 members of their own - assume that's true? His point that Finals are popular games - that's true? His point that Geelong do play some home games at the MCG - that's true? What did he lie about?

Bulls**t, because he doesn't give a s**t about female supporters or players.

Wasn't it Gillon who decided to bring forward the launch of AFLW by four years?

Female participation rates are skyrocketing.

How doesn't he care about female supporters or players?

So tell us where your club would be without the Melbourne clubs...?

1. Is he drunk? Can barely string a sentence together.

2. Does he even give two s**ts? Sounds like a fifteen year old being forced to clean his bedroom.

3. Does he even know what his job is? His response to the priority pick for GCS was abysmal.

4. Does he realise his Melbourne centric bias is causing some real discontent outside of Melbourne? The revelation that Saints are being propped up to the tune of a starter club is amazing. Melbourne clearly cannot sustain the number of teams they have, it's time for a cull Gill - especially when you have to rob Geelong of home final advantage to get them to watch the game.

Does he even care that his lies are transparent? Home finals at the mcg are about the fans? Bulls**t, more than half the tickets go to sponsors. Bulls**t, because he doesn't give a s**t about female supporters or players. This after saying reducing the fixture would not be about equity, not about player welfare, but about media revenue.

Its time for a breakaway league, every other non-Melbourne club. Do it, and leave the 1.6 million Melbourne TV subscribers to enjoy their minnow clubs.

I tell you what, Optus, Adelaide Oval, the GABA and the SCG/Homebush would be fine hosts for a grand final.
Hahahahahaha

Congratulations. One of the worst posts I've read this year (and there's been a few doozies.)

When will people get it through their thick heads that it's the Victorian football fans who bring in more than 50% of revenue to the AFL?
That's not Vic bias or arrogance. It's a FACT. So shut your trap about Victorian "minnows".

Here's an idea: How about us Victorian clubs form our own rival breakaway league to yours, except we'll take the Eagles, Dockers, Port and Crows with us and leave you muppets to play with your fellow NEAFL minnows whom nobody gives shiit about.

Let's get another thing straight: The only reason your club exists is to provide Channel 7 and Foxtel with content which they televise to us southeners.
Have you even seen the TV ratings for AFL footy in NSW and Queensland?

I can’t recall disliking an AFL CEO / administrator more, he is just terrible I can’t add anything that hasn’t already been said, he really is damaging the AFL brand

Last edited:
Yep, the AFL has twisted themselves in so many knots that they are throwing money at clubs to counter their pro Melbourne bias.

Its stupid, because there is no problem if four teams are culled from Melbourne. Players will go to clubs outside of Melbourne, but not when the AFL props up clubs like Carlton and Saints, allowing them to draft and purchase players they can't recruit and can't afford otherwise.

So don't bitch about the interstate clubs getting a leg up please.

Er, when exactly has the AFL propped up Carlton?

I'd be interested to know a breakdown of the AFL's revenue streams if anybody has the info handy.

For instance, how much of the money comes from TV, how much from ticket sales, how much from the GF etc.

You'd think it would be in everyone's interests for tickets to be cheaper.

go protest at AFL house then.
not a jab, the (seemingly) vast majority of footy fans disagree with the way the league is run - but the league faces no consequences cos it's not that simple boycotting your club.
they are so out of touch and obsessed with being Australia's premier league that fans are consistently put last on the hierarchy of needs.

Why could he not discuss certain subjects? He is not the Prime Minister he just runs a football league. Why is he doing interviews determining what can and can’t be asked.
What does a football league have to hide?

Re: Not discussing broadcasting rights - that was Barrett’s fault for not asking him why he wouldn’t talk about it. There could have been decent reasons - for example, the AFL might currently be in the process of planning for the next rights and he doesn’t want to send any signals to the market of bidders before their planning is complete. It is a super sensitive issue for the AFL given the media industry is in a state of flux (the rising domination of streaming services) and it’s the AFL’s main revenue stream - any words or signals given by him could have big financial consequences (in much the same way putting the RBA governor on a podcast and asking him an innocent question about monetary policy and expecting him to have nothing to hide)

Re: Not discussing GCS compensation. It was appropriate for him to not say anything ahead of the determination because that‘s the job of the commission so it’s outside his authority (how often do you see a person in any organization publicly say “I reckon my boss should deal that issue by doing XYZ”?). As it was he probably said more than he should have.

Was there anything else he wouldn’t answer?

I reckon it was a poor interview, but that was more Barrett’s fault for poor questioning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back