Gillon stepping down 2022 - Press Conference at 11:30am EST

Remove this Banner Ad

Another couple of reasons why NRL did better than in 2019 when they made $28m profit.

2021 had 2 State of Origin series - 2020 was delayed until November, ie after the 2020 financial year ended, and Foxtel TV deal until 2027 hasn't been revealed, but supposedly they are contributing $75m for 17th team, Redcliffe Dolphins entering in 2023, so if they made a big contribution in 2021, and little monies have been spent by the NRL o the Dolphins, and NRL showed it all as income, then that would be a decent reason for improvement over 2020 ( and 2019).

I'd be surprised if they are paying an extra 20 mill per year before the team has even entered the comp, it would be from 23 onwards you'd think. Also even if one state or origin they still would have made 10's of millions in profit. I reckon the AFL has too many employees, the NRL cut deep into areas not needed at head office and are reaping the benefits. Imagine what it would have been had that not had to relocate the majority of teams last season to qld for a significant period of time.

I was trying to find an interview with Andrew Dillon to see what he is like and there was barely anything but I stumbled across this podcast, a 1 hour interview late last year. He is actually pretty smart and knows his stuff so wouldn't be the most terrible appointment. I still prefer Gale as he has had success as a CEO previously but Dillon comes across better than I expected.

Some thoughts from SA scribe Michelangelo Rucci questioning whether his (Gil) successor will focus on rule tinkering and social agendas, or football itself:

' The AFL needs a new chief executive; one that has the game at heart and not the power to direct Australia’s social compass, no matter how envious Australian Prime Ministers become of football’s emotional hold on the public.

For the first time since it was established in December 1985 – taking the power away from club-appointed directors loaded with self-interest for their teams – the AFL Commission has no former player from the elite national league or the State leagues such as the SANFL. The chairman, Richard Goyder, is a corporate executive.

His commission is made up of two investment gurus (Paul Bassat and Robin Bishop); an academic (Professor Helen Milroy); two lawyers (Andrew Newbold and Gabrielle Trainor) and a former defence force officer (Major General Simone Wilkie).

“It is a model of good governance and that is important,” says Parkinson. “But you also need a commission that is good at managing the needs of the game. That is why (inaugural Crows chairman and North Adelaide premiership full back) Bob Hammond was so respected as an AFL commissioner. He understood the game. He was experienced in corporate dealings.”

The last time a former AFL player addressed the AFL Commission agenda was in March last year when Sydney and West Coast premiership ruckman Jason Ball, a 193-game veteran, ended his seven-year stint on football’s highest administrative forum.

The commission’s ex-officio member is the AFL chief executive. This had been, from 1993, either a former AFL player (Ross Oakley and Andrew Demetriou) or a former SANFL player (Wayne Jackson) until McLachlan’s appointment in April 2014.

“He is a genuine football lover,” Sheahan says of McLachlan, a former amateur player with his time as a Melbourne University “Blue” often noted, particularly by the game’s satirists.

'Many now fear the AFL Commission, without a former player on its panel, has lost focus on the game to emphasise corporate governance (and make the AFL a forceful player in social debates). This makes the need for a football-strong chief executive to follow McLachlan seem paramount.'

The above quotes from the article linked do not represent the complete article. It explores other issues.

Some thoughts from SA scribe Michelangelo Rucci questioning whether his (Gil) successor will focus on rule tinkering and social agendas, or football itself:

' The AFL needs a new chief executive; one that has the game at heart and not the power to direct Australia’s social compass, no matter how envious Australian Prime Ministers become of football’s emotional hold on the public.

For the first time since it was established in December 1985 – taking the power away from club-appointed directors loaded with self-interest for their teams – the AFL Commission has no former player from the elite national league or the State leagues such as the SANFL. The chairman, Richard Goyder, is a corporate executive.

His commission is made up of two investment gurus (Paul Bassat and Robin Bishop); an academic (Professor Helen Milroy); two lawyers (Andrew Newbold and Gabrielle Trainor) and a former defence force officer (Major General Simone Wilkie).

“It is a model of good governance and that is important,” says Parkinson. “But you also need a commission that is good at managing the needs of the game. That is why (inaugural Crows chairman and North Adelaide premiership full back) Bob Hammond was so respected as an AFL commissioner. He understood the game. He was experienced in corporate dealings.”

The last time a former AFL player addressed the AFL Commission agenda was in March last year when Sydney and West Coast premiership ruckman Jason Ball, a 193-game veteran, ended his seven-year stint on football’s highest administrative forum.

The commission’s ex-officio member is the AFL chief executive. This had been, from 1993, either a former AFL player (Ross Oakley and Andrew Demetriou) or a former SANFL player (Wayne Jackson) until McLachlan’s appointment in April 2014.

“He is a genuine football lover,” Sheahan says of McLachlan, a former amateur player with his time as a Melbourne University “Blue” often noted, particularly by the game’s satirists.

'Many now fear the AFL Commission, without a former player on its panel, has lost focus on the game to emphasise corporate governance (and make the AFL a forceful player in social debates). This makes the need for a football-strong chief executive to follow McLachlan seem paramount.'

The above quotes from the article linked do not represent the complete article. It explores other issues.
Rule tinkering and social agendas would be my guess unfortunately.

It's weird that gill being a private school boy seems like a dan andrews clone, i would have thought he would have been a 'young liberal' growing up.

If McLachlan splits the TV rights up between streaming and broadcast television will that be the nail in the coffin that deems his reign poor to fans? This conversation may be worth a thread on it's own but I think the TV deal could be the one that brings the fence-sitters to the 'poor' side of the opinion on his reign, although those that see the money in the game as the feather in his cap may say that selling a game per week to Amazon/Netflix/Paramount+/Stan is a good thing to get even more money.

I'm not sure what the wider football community thinks but I think the mix of some games' free to air and all games on Foxtel is not a bad compromise. If Foxtel maintained all nine games I have no issues selling some to streaming but I don't see this as the AFL end-game. I think Foxtel will do whatever it can to maintain the status quo. They saw a drop-off in subscriptions after the English Premier League was lost and the AFL would be critical to them.

Interesting (TV) times ahead.

It’s about the $$$$ for the AFL. The convenience for fans will be the least of their considerations when hustling for more broadcast cash. If that means us ‘customers’ being forced to subscribe to 2-3 platforms then so be it. They do not give a s**t.

If McLachlan splits the TV rights up between streaming and broadcast television will that be the nail in the coffin that deems his reign poor to fans? This conversation may be worth a thread on it's own but I think the TV deal could be the one that brings the fence-sitters to the 'poor' side of the opinion on his reign, although those that see the money in the game as the feather in his cap may say that selling a game per week to Amazon/Netflix/Paramount+/Stan is a good thing to get even more money.

I'm not sure what the wider football community thinks but I think the mix of some games' free to air and all games on Foxtel is not a bad compromise. If Foxtel maintained all nine games I have no issues selling some to streaming but I don't see this as the AFL end-game. I think Foxtel will do whatever it can to maintain the status quo. They saw a drop-off in subscriptions after the English Premier League was lost and the AFL would be critical to them.

Interesting (TV) times ahead.

Depends on what streaming platform it is. If it is youtube that would be fine as youtube is free.

In this age of wokeness, diversity, inclusion, minorities, etc which the AFL are big proponents of, I wouldn't be surprised if the role is given to a female.

Big big push in corporate land to have more females in exec roles, including top jobs.
Even more convinced of this now given the recent story about female umps being abused.

Odds on that the next AFL CEO will be female.

Even more convinced of this now given the recent story about female umps being abused.

Odds on that the next AFL CEO will be female.
If that is the best person for the job so be it, but i hope it's not a PR exercise by the AFL saying look at us aren't we wonderful for appointing a female CEO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If that is the best person for the job so be it, but i hope it's not a PR exercise by the AFL saying look at us aren't we wonderful for appointing a female CEO
They'll appoint a female because they know that more than half their audience is female, they'll want to be seen to be doing something strong given all the issues regarding females in the game, and to reinforce the recent trend of females being appointed to top jobs in club land.

They'll appoint a female because they know that more than half their audience is female, they'll want to be seen to be doing something strong given all the issues regarding females in the game, and to reinforce the recent trend of females being appointed to top jobs in club land.
You can't say that. The population might be 51.x% female, because blokes tend to kill themselves and die earlier than women, but nobody knows what percentage the audience split is between males and females.

The most accurate figure is that the AFL football club memberships and a few years ago the AFL reported that it was 43% were female.

But I do agree with what FIFA General Secretary Sepp Blatter said on the eve of the 1995 Women's World Cup said, that the future of football is feminine.

Football like society, has been feminised. And its not all bad. But its not all good either.

I say again they should appoint the best person for the job be it male or female.
Please no more PR stunts

Theres quite a few females around headquarters these days and on the Commission, we need more in the levels below. I dont see a female CEO as a necessity unless they are the best person for the job

Please consider Jeff Kennett

After many years at Hawthorn, he's ready to step up to the plate
You are lying lol.

Who do you really want to run the AFL?

Vince Russo? Jim Cornette? Paul Heyman? Vince McMahon? Bill Watts? Tony Khan? Eric Bischoff? Jeff Jarrett? Kevin Nash? Scott "Raven" Levy?

Tzatziki_Man and Senor M , you both got any suggestions?

They will still need to pick the best candidate, even if the person is a female. Someone like Peg would be an excellent choice.

If have their audience if female then half their audience is male as well - but you don't see the blokes with cars as their Facebook profile pictures jumping up and down about males being promoted to top jobs in the AFL.

Even at North - so many on our board were claiming that Sonja Hood was only appointed because she was a female despite having relevant qualifications and being a long-term North supporter.

I don't think it's fair that women have to have this cloud of criticism over them that they're just a token appointment. If the AFL appoints a female, it'll be because she's the best candidate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back