Gippsland Greats

This is more one for the older guys on here, but I was just wondering who are some of the past greats in Gippsland Footy?
Bloke named Trevor Pugh from wonthaggi, tack beaton from inverloch, colin and jeff jones, kevin parker from lang lang, also butch reid from lang lang. Just a few names my old man remembers. Good thread, this could take some thinking

Alan Steele - Moe
Brett Stanistreet - Morwell 330-odd games
Tony Lane - Traralgon
Russell Northe - Traralgon
Ian Jennings - Moe/Thorpdale Kicked 150 goals once or twice
Mark Stockdale - Traralgon
Joe Hutchison - Morwell? also LVFL President
Brian Crewys - Nilma Darnum + bunch of others (Holds current goals in a match record for EDFL)

Not to mention the local AFL talent from years gone by.
Kelvin Templeton - Traralgon
Bernie Quinlan - Traralgon?
Tommy Alvin - Bairnsdale
Barry Round - Nilma Lillico (Darnum)
Barry Rowlings - Moe/Thorpdale
Lachlan Sim - Moe/Morwell

More to come when I think about it more...

Bloke named Trevor Pugh from wonthaggi, tack beaton from inverloch, colin and jeff jones, kevin parker from lang lang, also butch reid from lang lang. Just a few names my old man remembers. Good thread, this could take some thinking
trevor pugh definatly one of the toughest

played at a few clubs these would be some of the best players played with or against
Dave McMaster lang lang 4 league medals i think
Rod Batt lang lang how good and tuff brothers were very handy too
Bub Jose (more clubs than me)
Warrick Guy longwarry lang lang
Doug Mcivor K'burra
Gary Pratt Ellinbank
David Stagg Catani
Rob Hefford Dusties
More to come

My old man told me Dave Mcmaster was the best player he'd seen by a mile. 4 league medals is a fair effort back in those days.
Yep could play any possie. Might have won one at pearcedale too after leaving lang i reckon.

Shane Loveless,Neil Bristow,Stan Davidson ,Alan Morrow,Bill &Laurie Stephenson ,Damien Hogan etc,etc all from the mighty magpies.

Shane Loveless,Neil Bristow,Stan Davidson ,Alan Morrow,Bill &Laurie Stephenson ,Damien Hogan etc,etc all from the mighty magpies.

Big Shane Loveless.

Jeez, I watch him play Moe one day at Moe and Wayne "Gouger" Vincent had the job of trying to stop him from kicking 20 goals.

If my memory serves me, (and I may be wrong with the names)Ted Fidge Ko'd Rob Sim in the middle of the ground and an all in brawl broke out. The conditions were less than desirable with mudpits all over the place.

Well when big Loveless saw the fracas in the centre he started to move the massive frame in that direction. When "Gouger" saw what was probably going to transpire, he leapt at big Shane from behind, got him in a sleeper hold and slowly, over 25 metres brought the monolith to the ground, holding his head in the mud til the dust cleared. I reckon if he had have gotten free, someone would have been killed.

"Gouger", seriously wasnt letting him go until there were 10 team-mates and 2 umpires around to keep the big fella off him. I think big Shane still kicked 10 that day, and as kids we just followed him from end to end, and we were Moe supporters.

Couldn't get much more legendary than big "pinhead" Loveless.I watched him from close range playing for Footscray in a practice match against Hawthorn at Maffra in the early 80's ,and a pack developed in the goal square waiting for someone to take a speccy on the goal line (as they did in those days)and while the goal and boundary umps were watching the flight of the ball coming in,big Shane grabbed Michael Moncrief by the hair at the back of his head and slammed his face into the goal post... ah!! the good old days.The boy could really play though ,he kicked 7 on Bruce Doull one game.You just don't get characters like him in the game anymore and it's a real shame.

Back