Unsolved Girls that went missing from Adelaide Oval 1973

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if this has been discussed on here before

In 1973 two young girls went to the toilets during an SANFL match and were never seen again.

Have never really heard much about it, especially in comparison with the Beaumonts.

How far did police get? suspects? related to other cases e.g Beaumonts etc?? evidence?

Anyone know much about it?

Ebert80

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2008
South Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Radcliffe and Gordon were the surnames from memory.

More than likely linked to "The Family", there have been various theories/leads over the years, but nothing solid.

Ebert80

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2008
South Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah, it was, Perhaps it could have been a group loosely associated with them, I guess none of us really know.

It's been speculated that Derek Percy may have been involved with the Beaumont disappearance, who knows, perhaps he might have had an involvement with this 1973 mystery too. He reportedly had spent time in Adelaide 4 or 5 decades ago.

Very similar looking person (witness/identikit) to the Beaumont ... my opinion the cases are related but who?

Read the book 'Satin Man' by Alan Whitaker. Puts are case for one particular person possibly for both Beaumont and the Oval disappearances

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Very similar looking person (witness/identikit) to the Beaumont ... my opinion the cases are related but who?

Read the book 'Satin Man' by Alan Whitaker. Puts are case for one particular person possibly for both Beaumont and the Oval disappearances

yeah i saw a thing on Today Tonight about it...he seems good for it. Shame he is dead we will probably never know.

yeah i saw a thing on Today Tonight about it...he seems good for it. Shame he is dead we will probably never know.

The Satin man family defended him vigorously on a book reader's blog ... it was shutdown as it strayed from just a book review
. The blog is still there.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
That seems a tenuous 'break through' at most. I'm struggling to understand what part of it is news or considerably interesting. Why do news outlets have to upset people and tarnish mysteries like this with hyperbolic statements that disappoint and just turn serious events into trivial who dunnits?

Can someone tell me what a 'honeycomb like substance' is inferring? Why this convict's 'confession' is being used and if the barrels are, reading between the lines, apparently once housing these kid's remains? I don't get it.

That seems a tenuous 'break through' at most. I'm struggling to understand what part of it is news or considerably interesting. Why do news outlets have to upset people and tarnish mysteries like this with hyperbolic statements that disappoint and just turn serious events into trivial who dunnits?

Can someone tell me what a 'honeycomb like substance' is inferring? Why this convict's 'confession' is being used and if the barrels are, reading between the lines, apparently once housing these kid's remains? I don't get it.

There's a hell of a lot more to the story than has been printed, including the identity of the "investigators" and their motives, some wider investigations they are conducting, and some of the documentation they have.

Last edited:
I dont have a legal background so apologies for the comments made, but given the amount of time has elapsed should criminals after this length of time be given an opportunity to confess without being prosecuted. If for anything that the information can lead to prosecution of other criminals or that the knowledge gained can help police in the future?

Surely at some point families would like closure and opportunity or bury their family properly?

If it were me after 30-40 years I would want as painful as it would be to hear that they got off at the very least it may provide peace of mind.

I raise this as other SA people would know about the Beaumont children being kidnapped as well being one of this states longest and biggest mysteries.

Ashley Jeffery

Debutant
Suspended
Aug 10, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I dont have a legal background so apologies for the comments made, but given the amount of time has elapsed should criminals after this length of time be given an opportunity to confess without being prosecuted. If for anything that the information can lead to prosecution of other criminals or that the knowledge gained can help police in the future?

Surely at some point families would like closure and opportunity or bury their family properly?

If it were me after 30-40 years I would want as painful as it would be to hear that they got off at the very least it may provide peace of mind.

I raise this as other SA people would know about the Beaumont children being kidnapped as well being one of this states longest and biggest mysteries.

What would be the statue of limitations on a case like this?

What would be the statue of limitations on a case like this?

Statute?

I dont know, at one end you want closure but at the other you cannot let someone get off a jail term.

Maybe when the person is aged 80, rather than any statute of limitations. I feel knowledge about a crime could help prevent crimes in the future or possibly lead to prosecutions of other individuals.

is this the same case thats linked to that stuff that was on facebook and ACA recently?
the private airstrip out in the country and the mr whippy van behind and old building??

Yes.

Back