[NB: girlsplayfooty domain has been taken over by spammer.]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi CrowdedHouse , what’s happened to [NB: girlsplayfooty domain has been taken over by spammer.]? It doesn’t seem to be up anymore?
Think the media team broke away from the [NB: girlsplayfooty domain has been taken over by spammer.] because the editorial content was becoming increasingly negative and vindictive towards clubs and players.
Not sure what happened to the rest of girlsplayfooty after that though

Think the media team broke away from the [NB: girlsplayfooty domain has been taken over by spammer.] because the editorial content was becoming increasingly negative and vindictive towards clubs and players.
Not sure what happened to the rest of girlsplayfooty after that though

Wow, that is a shame.

I thought they were onto a good thing.

Wow, that is a shame.

I thought they were onto a good thing.

Mkcaptain is pretty much spot on.

The editor/co-founder of the site put in a lot of hard work, but didn't want to bring someone else in to manage the load.

All of that built up and you could see our stuff from 2018 was lot more negative than 2017 (where we could find a balance) plus we went too AFLW heavy and started to let the grassroots stuff slide.

It all came to ahead before the 2018 AFLW GF when a negative Carlton article drew return criticism from Tayla Harris. Now, copping criticism is fine, but it was how - publicy via the GFP Twitter account - the editor responded to Tayla that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

He was asked by the radio arm side of things to retract and get some assistance in running the site, he said no, so the radio team said we're out - and rebranded as WARF Radio. Then two days later the other co-founder (who had retreated from writing reguarly) said she was out, and then, without warning the remianing 2 or 3 volunteers, the editor pulled the pin on the whole thing.

Very sad because we spent so long working on that site and building up our social media presence. I personally wrote close to 200 articles over 3 seasons. What's the sadest thing though is all that important written history of the formative years leading up to AFLW - feature pieces of some players before they became names - is now gone.

Very sad because we spent so long working on that site and building up our social media presence. I personally wrote close to 200 articles over 3 seasons. What's the sadest thing though is all that important written history of the formative years leading up to AFLW - feature pieces of some players before they became names - is now gone.

It’s a credit to you and all the folks at GPF what you achieved. You became the go-to site for info about the AFLW comp that the AFL brought forward by a few years and flicked the switch on practically overnight. You were ahead of the game when all the other media outlets were scrambling for content.

Sorry to hear that it didn’t end well. I hope it’s made you wiser rather than bitter or cynical.

GPF was a successful project. No doubt each of you will be part of many more successful projects in the future.

Best wishes :thumbsu:

Just FYI for those who didn't already know (thought it was appropriate if people were searching for similar content), we expanded at AFL Draft Central into women's footy at the start of the season, covering AFLW and VFLW with the main focus on TAC Cup Girls. We'll be continuing that next season and doing more work in other states as well. If you're interested in reading features on the girls who are on the verge of making the AFLW through the draft, we interviewed every Vic Metro and Vic Country player to hear about their stories, which is found here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back