Giro Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
This might be a quiet one because its only on Eurosport, only watched the last few k's. Hard to believe what did happen though, Orica really missed out, Ewan looked strong in the sprint for second, but the lead out really stuffed up by not closing the gap to the winner. Every credit to him it was a 60km/h final kilometre and he held off a pretty disorganised bunch, dont see that too often.

Didn't realise this thread was here. Great to see Ewan notch one up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not exactly your typical motorbike crash though. This crash had more in common with Sagan's fall in the Tour of Flanders. The motorbike didn't clip riders due to careless riding by the driver - the motorbike was completely stationary. It was actually the riders who collided with the motorbike, rather than the other way around.

I just had a look at the replay, and it looks to be a fairly open stretch of road. There's no reason why the riders couldn't/shouldn't have seen the motorbike parked there, and ridden around it - the same as they would for any other piece of road furniture. Sorry, but this one is on the bike rider who clipped the motorbike, not the other way around.

Not exactly your typical motorbike crash though. This crash had more in common with Sagan's fall in the Tour of Flanders. The motorbike didn't clip riders due to careless riding by the driver - the motorbike was completely stationary. It was actually the riders who collided with the motorbike, rather than the other way around.

I just had a look at the replay, and it looks to be a fairly open stretch of road. There's no reason why the riders couldn't/shouldn't have seen the motorbike parked there, and ridden around it - the same as they would for any other piece of road furniture. Sorry, but this one is on the bike rider who clipped the motorbike, not the other way around.
Fair call, it just should never in a position to happen.

On reflection it would have been a nice gesture if Movistar sat up after that crash, would have kept the race interesting for close to 2 more weeks. Now its no where near as good of a race as it could have been.

I will stop short of saying it was poor form from Movistar to race on, however they would have gained more respect if they slowed for a bit.

Fair call, it just should never in a position to happen.

On reflection it would have been a nice gesture if Movistar sat up after that crash, would have kept the race interesting for close to 2 more weeks. Now its no where near as good of a race as it could have been.

I will stop short of saying it was poor form from Movistar to race on, however they would have gained more respect if they slowed for a bit.
Movistar, and Quintana in particular, have form. Quintana previously won the Giro by racing down the far side of the Stelvio, when the organisers had announced that they were going to neutralise the descent for safety reasons. Supposedly he rode past an official on a motorbike, who was waving a red flag at the time. In doing so he took the pink jersey, and the race officials didn't have the balls to do anything about it.

Movistar/Quintana aren't there for respect - they're there to win, even if they make enemies in the process of doing so.

Nibali is now 4th, 3:40 behind Dumoulin. Not a lot different to the situation he was in last year, when trailing Esteban Chavez going into the final week.

Anyone else expecting a repeat of his final week resurrection last year, no doubt induced by receiving a big bag of blood on the final rest day?

Nibali is now 4th, 3:40 behind Dumoulin. Not a lot different to the situation he was in last year, when trailing Esteban Chavez going into the final week.

Anyone else expecting a repeat of his final week resurrection last year, no doubt induced by receiving a big bag of blood on the final rest day?

Dumoulin has had all the answers thus far though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it a bit classier field than last year perhaps? I haven't had an in-depth look at the last week of the tour, but I am assuming it is a week of climbing that would probably suit Quintana as much as Nibali?

Moviestar are a disgrace. They stopped the team car right on the bend where
Quintana crashed forcing other riders to slow up or run into the car. As for Dumoulin slowing the race so Quintana could catch up, then to see Quintana sprint past him to get bonus points. Unlike the incident with police motorbike, Quintana's crash was his own fault, no reason to slow the race.

How long was the motorbike stationary, I thought that it had just that moment stopped?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know why Nathan Haas and Caleb Ewan are out of the race ?

thanks
Ewan was pulled because it's all uphill from here on in. There are pretty much no more stages for the sprinters. This means that the rest of the team can now focus on Yates' GC ambitions (which were largely shot after the crash earlier in the race).

I assume Haas was pulled for the same reason.

Is this not being shown on sbs this year? Was interested in tonight's stage.
No. The Italian organisers got greedy, and only offered it to pay TV. SBS weren't even invited to make a bid.

It's shown on Eurosports 1, if you have a pay TV provider with that channel. Or you can go looking for it via "other means".

Quintana has form pulling this sort of bulls#*t before. It's why he's my least favourite rider in the Peleton. Quintana crashes, Dumoulin waits and then repays the favour this way. What a disgrace. He wins the giro from here, there's an asterix in the book next to his name.

Quintana has form pulling this sort of bulls#*t before. It's why he's my least favourite rider in the Peleton. Quintana crashes, Dumoulin waits and then repays the favour this way. What a disgrace. He wins the giro from here, there's an asterix in the book next to his name.
To be fair, it was Zakarin who attacked, and Nibali's team that put the pace on afterwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back