Give ME a job in marketing ....!

Remove this Banner Ad

whiteandred

Senior List
Jun 1, 2008
the heartland
AFL Club
Sydney
Are these people from another planet???!

Giants live at the top of bean poles in fairy tales.

Stallions was a pub in Hurstville.

Rangers is a dynamic outdoor camping program for school aged Christian children and youth.

Pride ... don't start me!

The metrosexuals in marketing at GWS would all have to be ex-add agency rejects who have never set foot on a sporting field of any description ... or women!

The 4 options they came up with would ensure that the team had NO support from anyone in Western Sydney!!!

Ideally they need something iconically Australian, portraying the rough and ready of the wild west ... NOT Priscilla Queen of the Desert!

Pioneers for me ... just put a droopy mo and an Akubra on Sheeds and with his six shooters blazing, he can double as their new mascot, Yosemite Sam ... he's spent the past 50 odd years on TV in Australia, he must be a naturalised Aussie Varmint by now!!.... no rackin' frackin' worries at all!:D

Their cunning plan must have been to come up with the four worst possible names, so that everyone things "I could do better than that"; and then they can form a consensus view from the names that people send in to them.

Pride is the worst of the lot. Interestingly, it has been tried before - a Victorian club in the old NSL changed their name to Eastern Pride in 2000/01. They went belly-up a few months later and didn't complete the season.

Go Pioneers, don't know if that sounds right but it's heaps better than the rest.
Maybe you should submit your CV, really thought GWS would have at least set up something on the TAC Cup website. Now is the time to promote their induction into the TAC Cup comp, as we are only 4 - 5 weeks away from the first game.

;)

... being a "Sydney" fan, I don't really care what they are called, and it will probably just end up a "Wests" chant at the ground anyway.

But I just hope the 4 options they have offered are all passed on, and they come up with something with a bit of Australiana in it. For their fans' sake, they lets all hope they do a better job with their list than they did with their marketing recruitments!:cool:

As for Pioneers, would probably be shortened to "Pie's" ... which would have the added benefit of p***ing off all the Collingwood and Port ferals at the same time ... win/win situation!:p

Not sure about that. I think it works for the New England Patriots, which is very similar in concept.
Actually, I think the "Patriots" is a very different kind of nickname, and it's a good case in point.

By "Patriots" they mean rebel soldiers during the American war of independence. These soldiers wore an identifiable uniform, and New England is therefore able to draw a Patriot on the logo, T-shirts, etc. and generally use their own nickname in marketing.

"Pioneers", however, is like "Dockers" in that there is no way to easily identify a person as a pioneer. How would you even draw a pioneer? The OP himself can only suggest a guy with a mo, wearing a hat.

Giants is used by a whole bunch of pro sports teams (including NY Giants in the NFL, San Fransisco Giants in Baseball), as is Rangers (such as NY Rangers ice hockey, Rangers in Scottish soccer). They'd probably turn out ok.

Stallions sounds kind of lame to me... and Pride sounds like a bad A-League team name, as bad as Perth Glory or Melbourne Heart.

Actually, I think the "Patriots" is a very different kind of nickname, and it's a good case in point.

By "Patriots" they mean rebel soldiers during the American war of independence. These soldiers wore an identifiable uniform, and New England is therefore able to draw a Patriot on the logo, T-shirts, etc. and generally use their own nickname in marketing.

"Pioneers", however, is like "Dockers" in that there is no way to easily identify a person as a pioneer. How would you even draw a pioneer? The OP himself can only suggest a guy with a mo, wearing a hat.

A pioneer looks like the guy on the left.

captain_cook_narrowweb__300x430,0.jpg

I would have thought it was a more identifiable image than a giant or a ranger. I mean what do they look like? At least people know in the back of their mind roughly what a pioneer is meant to look like.

As for the Dockers, I know 100% that they chose that name because it sounded like the Fremantle Doctor - the name people give for the seabreeze in Perth. They thought people would associate one with the other but it never happened. But the main reason that was a bad choice was because they can't use it legally.

I would have thought it was a more identifiable image than a giant or a ranger. I mean what do they look like? At least people know in the back of their mind roughly what a pioneer is meant to look like.

As for the Dockers, I know 100% that they chose that name because it sounded like the Fremantle Doctor - the name people give for the seabreeze in Perth. They thought people would associate one with the other but it never happened. But the main reason that was a bad choice was because they can't use it legally.

ha ha ha! champagne comedy!
"A pioneer looks like the guy on the left" – as opposed to the guy on the right?

Here's an idea: the new WEST Sydney logo should be a British NAVAL officer - what's that you say? someone already suggested that idea?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A British sailor? I have never heard of a sailor being called a pioneer (probably because they by-and-large were not).

When people suggest "Pioneers" as a nickname, the mean the pioneers that we learnt about in primary school: the inland explorers and the first settlers to move onto the lands west of Sydney. Such people aren't easy to make into a logo or mascot.

Sorry to intrude, but someone tell me why they just don't call themseleves Western Sydney. No need for a name at the end. The less fairy names the better, we already have Freo wering purple!

Gold Coast copped a pasting on here for doing just that. It also makes the marketing harder.

Gold Coast copped a pasting on here for doing just that. It also makes the marketing harder.

Not from everyone. It might make a difference to inital marketing, but as far as anything else goes (include longer term marketing), there isn't anything wrong with it. Wasn't the pasting more for the dreadful lifesaver mascot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back