Give the Showdown it's deserved recognition

Remove this Banner Ad

Swear they used to show more Showdowns and derbies on a Fri/Sat night time slot on FTA too. I think the last Showdown on FTA was the last game at AAMI or the famous Monfries bounce. When was the last Derby on FTA? 2004?

I believe that 2 Adelaide Oval showdowns have been on FTA in 2015 and 2016, both afternoon games. 2015 was a Sunday afternoon live and 2016 was an early start Saturday game delayed.

The showdown more often than not has been something to look forward to since Day 1, regardless of ladder positions. One of the great H&A fixtures.

Ladder positions certainly don't matter.

I remember in 2004 in Port's premiership year Adelaide who did not play finals that season beat them in the first showdown that year despite a 7 game showdown losing streak, Port won the next meeting but Adelaide took all 3 in 2005 and the first in 2006. Port's next win was in 2006 when they had no chance of playing in the Finals beat us by a couple of kicks when Trent Hentschel went down with a gruesome knee injury and it has happened a few times since.

This game just always seems to deliver. As a neutral I'd say it's probably the non Essendon game I look forward to the most.

Obviously today had added significance, and I don't think that's going to go away. Add to this the history between the two clubs, the fierce rivalry, and now the perfect setting with the magnificent stadium.

The one town, two team thing is fairly unique in our game with Freo-WC only really challenging it. It reminds me of some of the big European rivalries - a genuine rivalry that splits a city in two.

Anyway, I think it's one of the best displays and advertisements of our game, and it'd only be bigger and benefit the whole game more if a proper event was made of the clash. Making it a standalone game would only draw more attention and prestige to it, with the whole footy world watching.

Would people be in favour of this? It just seems like other matches have been able to build another dimension, such as ANZAC Day for Collingwood v Essendon and Easter Monday for Geelong v Hawthorn.

I think we should find a permanent annual fixture for a standalone showdown. It could be a night game on ANZAC Day, maybe the long awaited Good Friday slot... a night game on Queens Birthday eve... Whatever. I'm sure something can be found. I think it'd work really well and be a great event.

Only if it’s one game a year

Two a year is too many and for every close (21 out of 44 less than 3 goals) there’s ordinary blow outs and margins

Lame that neither Showdown is on national FTA this season, same with last season. Would love to see a Friday night Showdown but we all know the AFL ala VFL don’t like having Friday night games not involving at least one of any of their precious vic teams.

On another note, I don’t know why all non-vic local derbies are on Fox this year, it’s not like said broadcaster has exclusive rights, or are $even just not interested? Pathetic if it’s either.

Lame that neither Showdown is on national FTA this season, same with last season. Would love to see a Friday night Showdown but we all know the AFL ala VFL don’t like having Friday night games not involving at least one of any of their precious vic teams.

On another note, I don’t know why all non-vic local derbies are on Fox this year, it’s not like said broadcaster has exclusive rights, or are $even just not interested? Pathetic if it’s either.

Channel 7 hold the broadcast rights to the VFL while Fox hold the broadcast rights to the AFL.

It’s why you get a lot of people like me that take way more interest in local footy than AFL. It should have had a big build up but instead all you get all week is “what’s wrong with Essendon”. National competition my a$$.

So many still hang onto the old big 4 wank. And it makes no sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it shouldn't, the travel benefit of having derbies during the season are quite beneficial. Something that if you're based in Melbourne isn't ever an issue.

Not sure the relevance of this post given the game would be played in Adelaide. Irrespective of round 1 or 8.

I must admit I've always found the showdowns to have more atmosphere and a better more fierce rivalry than the WA Derbies.

I think that’s a good thing. I want my club focussed on September, not some bullshit media driven rivalry. Thing is that most Freo and West Coast supporters I know away from Big Footy would place only very marginally more importance on a derby than any other round. If the SA clubs want to kill each other then let them have at it, I want to win in September.

Yes it was a magnificent game of football, but Adelaide people would do well to realise that there is no great anticipation for the game outside of SA.

It’s why you get a lot of people like me that take way more interest in local footy than AFL. It should have had a big build up but instead all you get all week is “what’s wrong with Essendon”. National competition my a$$.

Funny you mention that. Seen many neutrals say this showdown was the best game they have ever seen yet AFL 360 tonight leading with St. Kilda poor goal kicking. LOL. 20 mins in and they still haven't covered the match.

We have covered saints poor goal kicking, Essendons poor form, north and Ziebell.

.. Finally talking about the showdown now. 20 mins in.

You mean just how the whole media was all about "OMG Sydney 0-6" last year? Very Vic centric isn't it?

What?

They can gazette a public holiday in SA to build it up some more if they want. Makes no difference to me.

Pipe down rub-a-dub.

Mate folks outside of the Victorian ‘we’re the greatest that ever was or could be’ bubble do look forward to great footy regardless of where it’s played.

I’m increasingly coming to realise that footy supporters from WA, SA, TAS, and NSW are much more into the game than petty power struggles and sad desperation to maintain a state league that is long dead. Shame that so many Victorian supporters are so very insecure about their own importance and can’t just enjoy the game being played.

Mate folks outside of the Victorian ‘we’re the greatest that ever was or could be’ bubble do look forward to great footy regardless of where it’s played.

I’m increasingly coming to realise that footy supporters from WA, SA, TAS, and NSW are much more into the game than petty power struggles and sad desperation to maintain a state league that is long dead. Shame that so many Victorian supporters are so very insecure about their own importance and can’t just enjoy the game being played.

I enjoyed it and posted to that effect during and after the game. Probably more so because I didn’t have expectations that were out of the ordinary. That’s all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back