Give the Showdown it's deserved recognition

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
This game just always seems to deliver. As a neutral I'd say it's probably the non Essendon game I look forward to the most.

Obviously today had added significance, and I don't think that's going to go away. Add to this the history between the two clubs, the fierce rivalry, and now the perfect setting with the magnificent stadium.

The one town, two team thing is fairly unique in our game with Freo-WC only really challenging it. It reminds me of some of the big European rivalries - a genuine rivalry that splits a city in two.

Anyway, I think it's one of the best displays and advertisements of our game, and it'd only be bigger and benefit the whole game more if a proper event was made of the clash. Making it a standalone game would only draw more attention and prestige to it, with the whole footy world watching.

Would people be in favour of this? It just seems like other matches have been able to build another dimension, such as ANZAC Day for Collingwood v Essendon and Easter Monday for Geelong v Hawthorn.

I think we should find a permanent annual fixture for a standalone showdown. It could be a night game on ANZAC Day, maybe the long awaited Good Friday slot... a night game on Queens Birthday eve... Whatever. I'm sure something can be found. I think it'd work really well and be a great event.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must admit I've always found the showdowns to have more atmosphere and a better more fierce rivalry than the WA Derbies.
The players and coaches really play down the derby here which sucks, just saying it's just another game etc. Also probably not helped by the fact teams tend to dominate derbies for many years, with the Eagles winning the first 9 and us having their measure in the last 7 or 8 years.

cracking game today, should always be a Fri night prime time match imo.

WA derby goes hot and cold, but to be fair maybe make it the Sat night match of the same rounds as the showdowns.

I think as much as anything else it's a fantastic advertisement for the game. It has everything I spoke about in the OP.

The game could really use it - for example, I know people who couldn't give two shits about footy and never watch it, but they watch the ANZAC Day game because it's an event. It's a bit bigger than footy.

Perhaps the Showdown - with all its layers - could become something similar and really showcase the game. So many showdowns have been compelling viewing, but we all watch them anyway because we're footy fans.

I know people say it doesn't need a standalone fixture, but maybe doing so could turn it into a real showcase. Something around a public holiday could work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back