Remove this Banner Ad

OhioCatsfan

Host - ayankonthefooty.com
Sep 18, 2019
Sandusky Ohio
AFL Club
Geelong
Good afternoon everyone,

I am thrilled to have found this forum, and look forward to learning a great deal about the game from you.
I've been a huge fan of footy for the last 4-5 years, and am looking to learn everything I can about the game by reading your posts.
I'm an American that has come to the game later in life, and am now trying to play catch up, and become as well versed in the game as I can become.

I'm also in the process of beginning my own podcast, "A Yank on The Footy", where I am hoping to provide my views on things I see in the game, as well as talking with fans (and hopefully people in the media and close to the game) in Australia, as well as talking with people who've embraced the game here in the US either as a fan of the game, or participating in leagues like the USAFL.

It's always good to see people from overseas get into footy. Other than being proud that it's my nations sport, I genuinely believe that it could be very popular world wide. Not as big as soccer, but I feel there is a lot of excitement to be had in footy, that a lot of the world is missing out on.

What made you pick the cats?

It's always good to see people from overseas get into footy. Other than being proud that it's my nations sport, I genuinely believe that it could be very popular world wide. Not as big as soccer, but I feel there is a lot of excitement to be had in footy, that a lot of the world is missing out on.

What made you pick the cats?
Ahhhh....you'll have to tune into my podcast when it is up and running. :) It is part of my first episode. I did some research on the clubs, and narrowed it down to Collingwood, Brisbane and Geelong. Ultimately deciding upon Geelong.

Cheeky. Interesting. I'll give it a listen.

Keen to hear what brought you to those last 3 clubs too.

I've been suspended from twitter apparently. Still, I'll be keeping my eye open. Always interesting hearing Americans talk on footy.

Always love to hear American perspectives on the footy. Will give your podcast a listen!

Thanks. I'm just getting my feet underneath me, and have recorded and edited my first episode. I've gone back and listened to it several times, and keep thinking to myself that I need to make further adjustments. Currently working to set up some interviews with some individuals to allow me to get a few more episodes ready before sending them to the podcast hosting company

I honestly don't think that we have a stadium with a large enough footprint to accomodate footy.
I wouldn't even have to be a stadium, just find some open space put down the lines, put stripwire fence around it, and I can guarantee you it will do more for AFL in America then 100 games in China.
Plus I'm surprised there is a stadium large enough in China, all they seem to do for a sport is gamble.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is the AFL having games played in China when you have a ripe market in the US full of people who actually care about a sport like Aussie-rules
There's more people therefore more eyes watching in China, there are also government deals between Aus and China that means it's more profitable for us and the AFL to play in China.

They also don't have the loyal following in their sports that America has meaning it is easier to pry eyes off their sports than it would be to try and compete with American basketball or gridiron.

It's also cheaper.

We have been trying to break into the American market for years, they are just less receptive to it apparently.

Hopefully the local footy teams in America can get some traction and eyes on them to introduce more people to AFL.

There's more people therefore more eyes watching in China, there are also government deals between Aus and China that means it's more profitable for us and the AFL to play in China.

They also don't have the loyal following in their sports that America has meaning it is easier to pry eyes off their sports than it would be to try and compete with American basketball or gridiron.

It's also cheaper.

We have been trying to break into the American market for years, they are just less receptive to it apparently.

Hopefully the local footy teams in America can get some traction and eyes on them to introduce more people to AFL.
I hope we can get a foothold in the US market. I don't like or trust China, and dealing with their Government is like dealing with the devil.

I hope we can get a foothold in the US market. I don't like or trust China, and dealing with their Government is like dealing with the devil.
The sport has so many things that you would think would play well in an American market. I guess we just need more time for the seeds to take root. Maybe a bit more TV presence would help.

There's just so much televised sport already over there to compete with.

The sport has so many things that you would think would play well in an American market. I guess we just need more time for the seeds to take root. Maybe a bit more TV presence would help.

There's just so much televised sport already over there to compete with.
That is very true. There is a TON of options. On any given Saturday, I can find dozens of games (football). College basketball season is CRAZY with games.

This is an interesting site that tracks which games are going to be shown where, from week to week.

Hot damn that's a lot of viewing options.

Does baseball season run at the same time as football/basketball? or is it like cricket out here that runs during the summer, separate to footy?
Baseball season begins very shortly after the footy season begins, and the World Series ends towards the end of October. Major League baseball teams play a 162 game schedule. They're playing darn near every day during the summer.

Baseball season begins very shortly after the footy season begins, and the World Series ends towards the end of October. Major League baseball teams play a 162 game schedule. They're playing darn near every day during the summer.
College basketball is winding down as baseball is beginning. The NBA finals last into June, so teams are only off from July - September. The NFL is from early September through the Super Bowl in late January/early February.

That's a lot of baseball. I'm surprised interest doesn't wane throughout the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back