Gladys Berejiklian in trouble?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to wearing of masks outdoors, the NSW Police Minister is playing the role of good cop on the broad church loosely known as team Gladys.
'August 23, 2021
Police minister hits out at outdoor masks
The NSW Police minister has criticised the state's mandatory outdoor masks rules, declaring he didn't "understand" why the facial coverings are compulsory.
Under the new Covid rules which kicked in from 12:01am this morning, face masks are now compulsory whenever people leave their homes.
But Daivd Elliott told 2GB this morning he wasn't a fan.
"Frustrating isnt word I'd use, the word I'd use would get (2GB) banned from radio," Mr Elliott said.
"I dont understand it either, I'm not a clinician, but clinicians and medical practitioners say (masks) are a mitigating factor, it'll reduce risk."
He added he was "happy" to follow the rules but had plans for disposing of his masks once restrictions are eventually lifted.
"I've got my eye on the prize, I'm happy to go whatever clinicians recommend to get out of this as quickly as possible," Mr Elliott said.
"But there will be a ceremonial burning of masks in my backyard."
None of her cabinet want any masks or lockdown.

Surely. Are they ******* serious?
People are going to move on with life. It will take everyone different amounts of time to get there, but there will be a time, where collectively, we won't bat an eyelid at a covid death. Political and media narrative has already started down this path.

They would have been made redundant by automated cashiers at mcdonalds / bunnings
They're the guys who bought a franchise with their redundancy and took out every resentment they had with their employers on their employees. Pathetic small men.

People are going to move on with life. It will take everyone different amounts of time to get there, but there will be a time, where collectively, we won't bat an eyelid at a covid death. Political and media narrative has already started down this path.
It started on this path from Day 1, as can be seen here and in the Murdoch Slime Pool, but fortunately for Australia the majority of Australians have shown their innate humanity by rejecting it.

With no jobkeeper etc the will to stay the course of lockdown will evaporate.

The libs will get what they want….by crook….

Are Morrison's spawn vaccinated you reckon? All this open up bravado might evaporate if he sees one of them on a ventilator struggling to breath.
or they may get covid trump style (ie bugger all effect) and it will double his efforts to open up.
The probability is that they wont get very sick.

I'm still gobsmacked that last week we had the Hugo of NSW Health (Dr Jeremy McAnulty), claiming that COVID-19 transmission to customers in supermarkets and takeaway venues is usually not a high enough risk worth mitigating, whilst in the same week, we had NSW Health was mandating masks be worn outdoors in all of NSW.

It's plain to see that this incredibly anxiety ridden, foot in mouth NSW Health Deputy-CHO is totally unsuitable for fronting media conferences. IMO it's reckless to ask him to do them, or to allow him to do them if he offers.

The other NSW deputy chief health officer (Dr Marianne Gale) is fabulous. IMO, if neither her or Dr Chant are available for any media conference, it would be far better if there was no CHO or Deputy CHO present at all, than to roll out Dr McAnulty.

'“What we’ve learned is where the infection is most likely to spread,” the deputy chief health officer, Dr Jeremy McAnulty, said on Tuesday as he explained the new policy.
“That’s why we’re focusing on those areas and we’ve learned that people get lost in the detail when we put up venues that we don’t think are risk places on the website or in the media.”'

With no jobkeeper etc the will to stay the course of lockdown will evaporate.

The libs will get what they want….by crook….
I can see that it’s already going to be their big ticket to winning the next election. The vast majority of people no longer want lockdowns, and that’s the agenda they’ll push at federal level knowing they don’t have to shoulder any of the responsibility at state health level.

I’ve seen it already in Victoria where people are supporting Frydenberg’s ‘we have to live with the virus’ quote from the other day. The average voter doesn’t care too much about politics, so they’ll be able to garner a lot of votes by pushing heavily against Andrews’ lockdown stance when the time comes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can see that it’s already going to be their big ticket to winning the next election. The vast majority of people no longer want lockdowns, and that’s the agenda they’ll push at federal level knowing they don’t have to shoulder any of the responsibility at state health level.

I’ve seen it already in Victoria where people are supporting Frydenberg’s ‘we have to live with the virus’ quote from the other day. The average voter doesn’t care too much about politics, so they’ll be able to garner a lot of votes by pushing heavily against Andrews’ lockdown stance when the time comes.
At 60/40 tpp in Victoria per the last opinion poll they might want to rethink that plan.

Although, I think the average voter wants to stay alive

this is the danger. the rage needs to be maintained at the victorian who is not for victoria

Yeah, nah. Frydo will be a celebrity ball boy at the 2023 Australian Open.

He'll end up that desperate that he'll wheel out his family experience in the Holocaust as a reason to re-elect him. He literally can't steep to low.
What do you think of people who "wheel out" the stolen generations issue? To borrow your phrase.

Just to play Devil's advocate here, whilst I think its a good thing that almost all Aus. states apart from Gladys recently has taken COVID seriously and prioritised public health above all else - the reality is that once everyone has had an opportunity to be vaccinated, people should be able to move on with their lives and not be consciously aware of covid cases and deaths. I think the states narrow focus on this to the exclusion of all else is probably going to hinder rather than help Australia in reopening.

In a broken-clock is right twice a day way, Morrison et al. are correct that the current status quo is unsustainable and COVID-zero unlikely, we know is responsible for both those predicaments but putting that aside - the economy and society in general simply cannot sustain the impact of these lockdowns much longer.

No nation is going to be covid-free again (for a long time anyway). The UK have no restrictions now and around 100 deaths a day. Perhaps restrictions would curtail the case and death rate? But unfortunately a certain number of cases and deaths will be inevitable even within largely vaxxed countries.

We shouldn't conflate the future position of largely vaxxed societies ''living with COVID'' with what NewsCorp/Scomo advocated for early on in the pandemic, without a vaccine even available. And of course, their actions now aren't in the public's best interest - racing to an artificially low bar of vaccinations so they can reopen, without driving down cases. The NSW wave has jeopardised the possibility of reopening as safely as possible and without overwhelming the health system. But the reality is, that all states should prepare to reopen, knowing there will be cases and some deaths. The conversation which is not being had now, I think and should be, is that some form of restrictions (whether mask wearing or capacity limits) will probably have to be ongoing next year so we don't experience a huge spike in cases over summer when presumably most of the country will be reopened.

The big issue for Australia/NSW when learning lessons from what happens in Israel regarding COVID and schools, is that Israel has had far higher case numbers of COVID-19 since the pandemic began.

Meaning that decisions Israel makes, that are based on the levels of immunity of children, from them having previously being infected with COVID-19, will very likely not be as applicable (in whole) in Australia, unless Australia/NSW does similar anti-body testing of children, and those tests show that many of Australia's/NSW's children have also been infected by COVID-19 at some point during this pandemic, and consequentially might have a high enough level of immunity to the currently circulating Delta strain(s).

'Aug. 23, 2021 1:06 AM'
'Both elementary and high schools will open on September 1, as they were originally expected to, the cabinet decided. Additionally, schools will be allowed to administer vaccinations during school hours, subject to parental approval'

'The cabinet also ruled that in “red” cities with high rates of infection, any 8th- to 12-grade class with a vaccination rate of less than 70 percent would have to switch to remote learning.'

'The hope is that parents over 30 will soon be able to receive a third dose of the vaccine that will reduce the spread of the disease among small children.'

'there is an advantage to starting the school year September 1, as it will allow "experimentation with all the methods we want to introduce, such as quick tests, quarantining versus not quarantining, and gaining trust in serological tests."'

'A national antibody test among 3- to 12-year-olds is slated to kick off on Sunday in municipalities around the country, in a bid to measure the extent to which the coronavirus spread undetected among the country’s children over the past year and a half.

The assumption is that many children were infected over the last eighteen months but showed no symptoms, and therefore were never diagnosed.'

'Israel’s authorities hope that a significant proportion of children ages 3-12, who are not currently eligible for vaccination, will be found to have antibodies and will thus be eligible for a Green Pass, exempting them from mandatory isolation should they be exposed to someone COVID-positive, and from COVID-19 testing which is now mandatory in order to enter sites and attractions. They will be able to maintain their daily routine, including attending school, and will reduce the burden on the education and healthcare systems.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back