Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2017
Adelaide
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, AC Milan, North Adelaide
Reports indicating she may to resign over some allegations made by ICAC. Holy crap.

Gladys Berejiklian may have to 'resign' over ICAC revelations

12/10/2020

There's a good chance Gladys Berejiklian will have to resign" over the revelation she was having a relationship with disgraced former Wagga Wagga MP Daryl Maguire. Ms Berejiklian this morning testified to the corruption watchdog that she was in a “close personal relationship” with Mr Maguire. “I can’t believe it,” he said. “I covered the Wagga by-election, at that time she condemned his behaviour, it seems she continue to see him and we didn’t even know she was seeing him for some time after this even though he was resigning over corruption allegations. “I regard Gladys Berejiklian as a clean politician but the judgement here is unbelievable."

It looks bad, but I dont get calls for her to resign

so far no corrupt action has been shown, just shitty choice in men

and yes, I get she compromised herself by putting herself in the situation at all, but its over and no evidence of any dodgy activity relating to her has surfaced

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It looks bad, but I dont get calls for her to resign

so far no corrupt action has been shown, just shitty choice in men

and yes, I get she compromised herself by putting herself in the situation at all, but its over and no evidence of any dodgy activity relating to her has surfaced
Optics are terrible. Arguably O’Farrell was forced to resign over less.

I’ll be disappointed if she does go. I know some of her government’s policy positions are controversial, but overall she is a very smart and capable politician. Anybody who could replace her would be worse at the job.

Optics are terrible. Arguably O’Farrell was forced to resign over less.

I’ll be disappointed if she does go. I know some of her government’s policy positions are controversial, but overall she is a very smart and capable politician. Anybody who could replace her would be a worse Premier.

Agree the optics are bad, and unfortunately for her optics can be a killer in politics.

On O'Farrell, I always had the vibe that the bottle of vino was a convenient excuse to resign. Reckon more was going on, and him standing down was a convenient excuse for all to stop digging

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
wowee. Talk about a lapse in judgment. Still seeing him until a couple of months ago too.

If genders were reversed, she would have already resigned i reckon.

Reverse the genders and it probably goes nowhere.

Were either of them married to someone else?

Otherwise Im not sure what she did wrong, unless ICAC has evidence not yet revealed.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Otherwise Im not sure what she did wrong, unless ICAC has evidence not yet revealed.
Being in a secret relationship with an ex-MP who is generally known to be corrupt is kind of a big deal.

Even if she technically did nothing wrong it looks terrible. Why she didn’t kick him to the kerb years ago - let alone in mid-2018 when all the ICAC stuff originally went down - I have no idea.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
We already know from the past three weeks that Mr Maguire was allegedly invested in how the Badgerys Creek airport development proceeded. For at least one land sale, ICAC has heard he stood to gain a generous commission, potentially impacting whether or not he could resign from Parliament.

The hearing was played another phone that made reference to Mr Maguire's interest in "Badgerys Creek stuff," around a time he estimated personal debts of $1.5 million.

Mr Robertson is pushing hard on this topic, asking Ms Berejiklian to agree that she understood on September 2017, she was aware that Mr Maguire was involved in "Badgerys Creek stuff, which he thought and told you that, if successful, he would make enough money to pay off his debts."

Ms Berejiklian has repeatedly said she has no recollection of the phone call and said a lot of what Mr Maguire often said was "pie in the sky."

Mr Robertson said he was not asking about whether it's pie in the sky or anything at the moment, "I just want to get your understanding."

"He said that to me and that was his understanding," Ms Berejiklian said.

"I wouldn't have known was involved meant... I'm very conscious of the fact I did not know or understand what he was talking about."

It does look bloody bad.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Being in a secret relationship with an MP who is generally known to be corrupt is kind of a big deal for a Premier.

Ex MP. And at the time and even now he hasnt been charged with anything.

She hasnt refused to answer any questions so far and has not been implicated in anything.

It certainly doesnt look good but surely we should judge people on actions not looks.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It'll be quite hilarious after the conservative media's endless calling for Dandrews' resignation, if Gladys has to quit.
That nasty little piece, Rita Panahi who writes for various organs of the Murdoctopus said the Premier shouldn’t fall on her sword.

“Gladys who has done more than any politician to save Australia from itself by reopening the economy & opposing illogical lockdowns/border closures may be in real trouble,” she said. “It would be peak 2020 if she lost her job before Dan Andrews.”

Ha ha ha. I think she is a goner.

That nasty little piece, Rita Panahi who writes for various organs of the Murdoctopus said the Premier shouldn’t fall on her sword.

“Gladys who has done more than any politician to save Australia from itself by reopening the economy & opposing illogical lockdowns/border closures may be in real trouble,” she said. “It would be peak 2020 if she lost her job before Dan Andrews.”

Truly the biggest bootlicker at murdoch.....and that's a fair *en achievement.

Also the one who revels in licking said-boot the most.

Not right in the cabbage that smarmy waste of.

undefined

probably incorrect
Jun 3, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
QLDer

She's horrendous. A regular on that awful Sky show w/ Rowan Dean, spreading Trumpist misinformation.

121240000_2323971787748215_324149594779611146_n.jpg

Lied to icac IN REAL TIME

but that's okay , she's a lib and the fix has been in here in Australia since the second that coward abbott got in.

View attachment 983417

but that's okay , she's a lib and the fix has been in here in Australia since the second that coward abbott got in.

This and the "i dont need to know that" comment are not helping

she should be free and clear, but silly statements like this muddy the waters

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
View attachment 983417

I haven’t been following the transcripts live, but if she was shown to have lied to ICAC four hours ago why is some random on Twitter the only one reporting it?

I haven’t been following the transcripts live, but if she was shown to have lied to ICAC four hours ago why is some random on Twitter the only one reporting it?
maybe because the rest of the media are running with " oh poor poor Gladys " ?

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes she's taking the Sinodinos "I don't recall" route, although nowhere near as brazenly as that, to not be found to have lied to ICAC.

Not sure it'll be acceptable to the constituents of NSW though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back